PDA

View Full Version : Highest nova damage at level 6?

Spacehamster
2016-04-05, 09:38 AM
Thinking 2 fighter, 2 paladin, 2 sorcerer: booming blade with 2nd lvl spell slot smite attached times two with action surge = per attack with a greatsword: 2d6 + STR + 1d8 + 3d8 so 4d6 + STR + 8d8 = on average 56 damage. Take rest of the levels as 1 fighter or paladin more then rest sorcerer. :)

Should add non crit calculations as for example assassin is so dependent on DM how often you can pull it off so just an average damage nova round on single target. :)

MrStabby
2016-04-05, 09:40 AM
Drop paladin for BM3 and Sorc3 so you can quicken/twin the booming blade and stick superiority dice on it as well?

Spacehamster
2016-04-05, 09:43 AM
Drop paladin for BM3 and Sorc3 so you can quicken/twin the booming blade and stick superiority dice on it as well?

Does quicken work on booming? Thought it specifically states that you make a weapon attack as part of the spell ACTION so thought it always consumed the action. :)

Would prob pick champion if I took 3 levels fighter to pull off more sweet crits for all them dice. :)

MrStabby
2016-04-05, 09:52 AM
Does quicken work on booming? Thought it specifically states that you make a weapon attack as part of the spell ACTION so thought it always consumed the action. :)

Would prob pick champion if I took 3 levels fighter to pull off more sweet crits for all them dice. :)

Interesting, I hadn't read it that way. I may have to go and check wording. Twinning might still work if you are happy with different targets (although if it is total damage in a crowded room you want then at level 6 fireball is a pretty sweet nova).

Spacehamster
2016-04-05, 09:57 AM
Interesting, I hadn't read it that way. I may have to go and check wording. Twinning might still work if you are happy with different targets (although if it is total damage in a crowded room you want then at level 6 fireball is a pretty sweet nova).

Not sure either just got that impression, yeah added to original post as an edit that it were single target nova as big AoE spells always wins out otherwise if there is enough targets clumped together, so more a "bring down the big bad as fast as possible nova". :)

Also if you twin booming blade is it just the spell damage that gets dealt to the 2nd target or the whole deal? :)

RulesJD
2016-04-05, 10:02 AM
Depends on how silly you want to imagine

GWM+PAM Paladin 5/Wild Magic Sorc 1

2 main attacks at GWM + level 2 smites (4d6 with GWF = 16.66 + 26 + 6d8) = ~70
1 bonus action d4 GWM + level 1 smite (1d4 with GWF = 3 + 13 + 2d8) = 25
Walk back 5ft, enemy makes Op Attack, trigger Shield which triggers Wild Magic Surge for extra Action.
2 main attacks at GWM + level 1 smites = ~60

Total of ~155. Could make target Undead + Paralyzed for autocrits to basically double all damage but too much trouble to bother.

Alternatively, Thunder vulnerable enemy that's held + Tempest Cleric (Elemental Affinity) + Wild Magic Sorc + Fighter 2. Combine some Wild Magic surges + Tides of Chaos + Action Surge + Maximized Thunder Damage Chromatic Orbs from melee range.

4d8 base + critical = 8d8. Double damage for vulnerable = 16d8. Maximized = 128. Wild Magic Surge for max damage on next spell + Action Surge = 256 damage + Wild Magic Surge for another Action = 16d8 (not maximized but Elemental affinity) = 336.

Likely? No, but there you go.

Spacehamster
2016-04-05, 10:05 AM

Walk back 5ft, enemy makes Op Attack, trigger Shield which triggers Wild Magic Surge for extra Action.

Total of ~155. Could make target Undead + Paralyzed for autocrits to basically double all damage but too much trouble to bother.

Alternatively, Thunder vulnerable enemy that's held + Tempest Cleric (Elemental Affinity) + Wild Magic Sorc + Fighter 2. Combine some Wild Magic surges + Tides of Chaos + Action Surge + Maximized Thunder Damage Chromatic Orbs from melee range.

4d8 base + critical = 8d8. Double damage for vulnerable = 16d8. Maximized = 128. Wild Magic Surge for max damage on next spell + Action Surge = 256 damage + Wild Magic Surge for another Action = 16d8 (not maximized but Elemental affinity) = 336.

Ye maybe bit too unlikely especially GWM hitting twice with 16 STR but damn that's a lot of damage. :)

Biggstick
2016-04-05, 10:19 AM
Ye maybe bit too unlikely especially GWM hitting twice with 16 STR but damn that's a lot of damage. :)

Not really. You can definitely increase the chances of this working through a buff round on yourself prior to the nova. A Vengeance or Devotion Paladin both have built in ways to increase their attack rolls (Advantage from Vengeance and +1-3 on attack rolls from Sacred Weapon). You can also have cast Bless upon yourself to gain an additional 2.5 average to your attack rolls.

Spacehamster
2016-04-05, 10:25 AM
Not really. You can definitely increase the chances of this working through a buff round on yourself prior to the nova. A Vengeance or Devotion Paladin both have built in ways to increase their attack rolls (Advantage from Vengeance and +1-3 on attack rolls from Sacred Weapon). You can also have cast Bless upon yourself to gain an additional 2.5 average to your attack rolls.
True said nothing about an arena style prepare yourself with buffs tho, but to be fair I said nothing about it not being allowed either. :) meant more like what you can do in ONE round. :)

Biggstick
2016-04-05, 11:49 AM
True said nothing about an arena style prepare yourself with buffs tho, but to be fair I said nothing about it not being allowed either. :) meant more like what you can do in ONE round. :)

Even if it's not an arena style, there are plenty of combats that you can see coming. Or there are times that the fight requires you to move 50' or more before you can be in range to attack where you could have a round to buff.

All that aside what makes being able to hit with said GWM that difficult? What AC are we trying to hit against? What kind of targets are we considering to be up against?

Trancekat
2016-04-05, 11:50 AM

Yes, Quicken will work with BB, or GFB, etc.

"As part of the action used to cast this spell"

GWF does not apply to anything other than the weapon dice. Also, what weapon is giving you 2d6 damage and the reach property? I can't find it in the PHB. There are other issues with this.

RulesJD
2016-04-05, 11:55 AM
Yes, Quicken will work with BB, or GFB, etc.

"As part of the action used to cast this spell"

GWF does not apply to anything other than the weapon dice. Also, what weapon is giving you 2d6 damage and the reach property? I can't find it in the PHB. There are other issues with this.

Bolded = I know, that's why I didn't apply it to the Smite dice.

Underlined = Doh, you're right. Drop average damage ~ 2 per hit for the main attacks.

Spacehamster
2016-04-05, 12:16 PM
Did anyone know how twinning booming blade would work? Does it just do the thunder damage on the 2nd target or does it do the whole deal of wpn damage + STR/DEX + thunder damage?

DracoKnight
2016-04-05, 05:21 PM

Nope. Quicken Metamagic makes ACTION cast spells one-time-use BONUS ACTION casting spells. :smallbiggrin:

orcafromthesky
2016-04-05, 06:55 PM
Here's what I got:

Variant Human (to grab Warcaster), Warlock 2 (Great Old One)/Paladin 2/Fighter 2
Great Weapon Fighting Style
STR 16
DEX 10
CON 14
INT 8
WIS 8
CHA 16

Action Surge Damage with Greatsword (Hex target round before)

Action 1: Cast Green-Flame Blade w/Greatsword: 2d6 + 3 (STR) + 1d8 (GFB) + 3d8 (Smite) + 1d6 (Hex)
Action 2: Cast Dissonant Whispers: 3d6

When the target runs away, AoO them with Booming Blade

AoO: Booming Blade: 2d6 + 3 + 3d8 (Smite) + 3d8 (BB) + 1d6 (Hex)

Total Average Damage: 85.17, + 7.5 average damage to second target from Green Flame Blade
(anydice link (http://anydice.com/program/8109))

Now, that's assuming that a single target can't be under the effect of two castings of Booming Blade, which I'm not sure about. If they can, then you cast Booming Blade as your first action instead of Green-Flame Blade, boosting that average damage to a whopping 94.17.

duhast123
2018-01-14, 12:10 AM

So you basically assuming that the enemy is gonna give you a op? its not that easy pal