PDA

View Full Version : Help me make a Wizard

Trask
2016-04-05, 10:59 AM
In my campaign recently my PCs have pissed off a wizard by looting something off a pirate that was he was delivering to said wizard. The wizard has invited the PCs to his lair and is probably going to have them do some odd jobs as a sort of indentured servitude, but just in case my PCs decide to attack I need to make an encounter that, ideally, will have the PCs quickly reconsider their actions without being completely tpk'ed. All my PCs are level 2 and there are four of them, the main issue I foresee is a beguiller that has just been abusing color spray on every encounter, I don't want the wizard to be the victim of a coup de grace.

tl;dr
I want to design an encounter that is a dinner with a wizard in his tower where if my pcs decide to get violent they dont get instantly obliterated because the wizard is not supposed to be super powerful, but they dont want to fight him.

Gildedragon
2016-04-05, 11:19 AM
Have the wizard have nerveskitter (staple of paranoid wizards*) and benign transposition prepared. Fist sign of trouble: nerveskitter followed by benign transposition to change places with the skeleton he keeps behind an illusory wall (1sq foot hole up in the wall, so as to be not touchable by passers-by) that leads to a sort of mezzanine and emergency exit. At the first sign of attack wizard swaps places with the skelly or zombie or ghoul (zombie or ghoul are glammered to look like wizard)

From the mezzanine the wizard can auto dispel the illusions holding the skeleton warriors at bay (these illusions hidden behind tapestries or made look like mirrors)

*please excuse the pleonasm

Trask
2016-04-05, 11:54 AM
Nerveskitter could be cast on himself correct?
And thanks for your input, that would be good to get the wizard some distance but if it actually came down to a battle what would you suggest? This wizard has kind of been built up by the local peasantry as a kind of powerful local wizard, if he simply flees I think my pcs will think hes a chump.

Gildedragon
2016-04-05, 12:13 PM
Nerveskitter could be cast on himself correct?
And thanks for your input, that would be good to get the wizard some distance but if it actually came down to a battle what would you suggest? This wizard has kind of been built up by the local peasantry as a kind of powerful local wizard, if he simply flees I think my pcs will think hes a chump.

Yes. Nerveskitter cast on himself so he can benign transposition instantly.
To avoid him being laughed at: the zombie disguised to look like him. From the hidey hole the wizard might hurl Invisible spells. Zombie might be spellstitched to have some SLAs
But wizard has to flee to stay alive. Him fleeing early is a great option
Also an option: poisoned meal/wine. Don't tell the PCs unless they ask. It just lowers their CHA and INT and WIS. An ultra fortified wine with a high ish save. (See intoxication rules in the A&EG). Worst comes to worst, one gets "too drunk" and passes out (A mental stat hits 0).
Wizard is either undead (necropolitan) already OR has a poison resist item.

Trask
2016-04-05, 12:16 PM
Great! That sounds like a good idea. And with the aid of his minions and invisibility he can force them to submit. Thanks

Gildedragon
2016-04-05, 12:24 PM
Great! That sounds like a good idea. And with the aid of his minions and invisibility he can force them to submit. Thanks
Just do let your PCs know they are getting drunk. A subtle "You are feeling sloshed, and more complicated spells are starting to slip your mind." "You forget if it goes mirror image or my roar I mage!"
Have the mage incite them to a drinking contest. Toasts to them. A fancy looking magic item (magic aura-ed or cursed) offered. Or a "You get to keep all the cups you drain" cups look FANCY but are tin or polished brass (appraise let's them find out they are 5sp a piece)

denthor
2016-04-05, 02:01 PM
Have the wizard be fifth level without boom Spells

First level color spray Mage Armor up before dinner second level invisibility have false Life cast at the dinner table 3rd level a summoning spell of some sort

Gildedragon
2016-04-05, 02:05 PM
His grand hall might be a dead magic or impeded magic area and he is wearing a Well (wheel of time d20)
It is a very situational magic item and might feel cheaty

He could be a Karsite, and as such have SR (unless it is arcane magic they can't wield)

The encounter ought be amicable though. What happens if they don't attack. I'd say a "some cargo of mine was stolen by pirates" deal to get them to get the stuff to him. And a gift or two that makes scrying on the party a piece of cake.

denthor
2016-04-05, 02:09 PM
Forgotten the first post

Make sure that the players provide what they are wearing for dinner I don't think your fighter is going to show up in full

This means they have to calculate the Armor class tell you what weapons they have Arcane site is a good one to find out if they're still magical

They of course can attempt to sneak in weapons through sleight of hand

Players have a tendency to give you their highest Armor class even when it would be absurd for them to be wearing all of it or spells have not been casted

fishyfishyfishy
2016-04-05, 02:13 PM
Invisibility + Major Image. The Wizard creates the illusion of him/herself talking with the party while they stand in the corner invisibly observing. If they attack the Wizard now knows they are hostile and can take appropriate measures. This can be combined with the above suggestion of an illusory wall hiding a getaway.

Gildedragon
2016-04-05, 02:13 PM
Forgotten the first post

Make sure that the players provide what they are wearing for dinner I don't think your fighter is going to show up in full

This means they have to calculate the Armor class tell you what weapons they have Arcane site is a good one to find out if they're still magical

They of course can attempt to sneak in weapons through sleight of hand

Players have a tendency to give you their highest Armor class even when it would be absurd for them to be wearing all of it or spells have not been casted

YES
Also audience with the caster isn't on day 1. Servants say "we're sorry. The Lord is out on an important mission" mission is collecting reagents. During those days PCs get fine clothes. Good meals. Nice wine but the servants make sure to point out that the best stuff is reserved for when the master's dinners and audiences. A successful diplomacy check gets them to bring out a bit of the stuff. It is VERY good.
Make them want to make a good impression.

Edit: Karsites can't cast spells but they can use psionic powers. Spell to power Erudite. Just have to make up your mind on a couple of things: psi-magic transparency, and what does the "unique powers" actually mean.
A Karsite "wizard" is a strong opponent against magic, especially if you want him to stay there.
I do recommend the poison and if attacked escape and release the minions. Once they finish the battle he can show up and clap at them. Say he is impressed with their prowess and wants them working for him.
If called names or something he can point out they attacked first, and attacked their host who has done nothing but be welcoming at them. But he is gracious and was expecting it. Last time he had adventurers over they tried to loot his library.