PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Can you cast immediate spells while holding two handed weapons?

magicalmagicman
2016-04-05, 12:47 PM
I don't see any rules about this. I know that spellcasters can cast spells on their turn while holding two handed weapons without penalty, but what about immediate spells on other creature's turns?

The Viscount
2016-04-05, 12:59 PM
I'm not so certain they can freely cast with two handed weapons without penalty unless they have somatic weaponry.

However anything that would grant them the ability to cast with two handed weapons should apply all the time, not just on your turn. Are you using a specific feat or class feature?

Darrin
2016-04-05, 01:08 PM
The issue is it's normally a free action to ungrip or regrip your weapon on your turn, but this wouldn't be allowed outside your turn. However, I think the PHB (p. 139) has some additional wiggle-room here:

"You can perform one or more free actions while taking another action normally."

So if the immediate action is normally allowed, free actions associated with that action should also be allowed. This would allow you to draw material components for a spell, speak the vocal component, drop an object to free your hand, and so forth. Changing the grip on your weapon to free a hand should work just as well here.

Psyren
2016-04-05, 01:20 PM
The issue is it's normally a free action to ungrip or regrip your weapon on your turn, but this wouldn't be allowed outside your turn. However, I think the PHB (p. 139) has some additional wiggle-room here:

"You can perform one or more free actions while taking another action normally."

So if the immediate action is normally allowed, free actions associated with that action should also be allowed. This would allow you to draw material components for a spell, speak the vocal component, drop an object to free your hand, and so forth. Changing the grip on your weapon to free a hand should work just as well here.

^ This - it's also why, if you ready an action to fire an arrow (or something lets you shoot your bow as an immediate action or as an attack of opportunity) you can perform the free action to load the arrow into the bow as part of that, even though it's not your turn.

It's also why you can use immediate action spells with material components (e.g. Arrow Mind from Spell Compendium) - retrieving the component from your pouch is a free action, but you can do it when it's not your turn because it's being done as part of the immediate action casting time.

magicalmagicman
2016-04-05, 03:12 PM

Awesome quote! Thanks!