PDA

View Full Version : Animal Companion with Poison Question

Yogibear41
2016-04-05, 06:37 PM
Say I have an animal companion or other similar ability, and my companion of choice has a poison attack with a DC based on Constitution. If I apply a temporary Con boost, such as Bear's Endurance to said critter, then while the boost is still in effect, I extract its poison and save it for later to be applied to a weapon for use, does the DC of extracted Poison remain increased because at the time the creature manufactured it, it was under the effects of a Con boosting effect?

Troacctid
2016-04-05, 07:29 PM
Craft (poisonmaking) checks are made by the week. That would have to be a pretty long-lasting Constitution boost.

MisterKaws
2016-04-05, 07:44 PM
I'd think no, since the poison is being affected by magic.

Yogibear41
2016-04-05, 07:50 PM
Craft (poisonmaking) checks are made by the week. That would have to be a pretty long-lasting Constitution boost.

Except you aren't crafting a poison, you are harvesting one. Its already made. Doesn't take a week to milk a cow.

DrMotives
2016-04-05, 08:04 PM
If I cast Bear's Endurance on my pet snake, and it bites something inside the spell duration, the poison DC is higher. If I cast the spell, and the snake doesn't bite anything until after the duration expires, the poison DC returns to the snake's baseline. That magically enhanced poison hasn't gone anywhere though. It's still in the poison glands, waiting to be injected or milked. So why should milking the snake make the spell permanent when the normal natural delivery method doesn't get made "permanent until used"?

So I suggest that milked venom doesn't keep the higher DC once the spell has run out. It's magically enhanced venom, it's not that only the snake's poison glands are the only thing enchanted to produce a stronger mundane venom.

Yogibear41
2016-04-05, 10:22 PM
How about from another perspective then, suppose said companion is wearing a magic item that boosts its con. Would said milked venom keep the higher save DC then?

Swaoeaeieu
2016-04-05, 11:50 PM
If I cast Bear's Endurance on my pet snake, and it bites something inside the spell duration, the poison DC is higher. If I cast the spell, and the snake doesn't bite anything until after the duration expires, the poison DC returns to the snake's baseline. That magically enhanced poison hasn't gone anywhere though. It's still in the poison glands, waiting to be injected or milked. So why should milking the snake make the spell permanent when the normal natural delivery method doesn't get made "permanent until used"?

So I suggest that milked venom doesn't keep the higher DC once the spell has run out. It's magically enhanced venom, it's not that only the snake's poison glands are the only thing enchanted to produce a stronger mundane venom.

if so, you could cast bears endurance on your pet every day for a few weeks and then have him bite the bbeg. with this reasoning every application of the spell increases the poison DC. And that would be a little silly

DrMotives
2016-04-06, 12:01 AM
if so, you could cast bears endurance on your pet every day for a few weeks and then have him bite the bbeg. with this reasoning every application of the spell increases the poison DC. And that would be a little silly

No, that doesn't follow from my reasoning at all. I have no idea where you got that from. Recasting BE or any similar spell merely resets the duration. No one in this thread implied anything like what you're saying, or anything that could reasonably be construed as leading to that.

Swaoeaeieu
2016-04-06, 12:19 AM
No, that doesn't follow from my reasoning at all. I have no idea where you got that from. Recasting BE or any similar spell merely resets the duration. No one in this thread implied anything like what you're saying, or anything that could reasonably be construed as leading to that.

You yourself said the poison would still be enhanced after the spell wears off. Then by that logic you could enhance the poison again by recasting the spell. then the already stronger poison gets even better.

Then again, a second casting would only increase the con to the same level as it had when the poison was first enhanced. So i was actually wrong, my bad.

DrMotives
2016-04-06, 12:51 AM
You yourself said the poison would still be enhanced after the spell wears off.

When did I say this? I'd love for you to point that out. Because what actually said contradicts this. You're bloody insane, you are.

Swaoeaeieu
2016-04-06, 02:45 AM

at least, that what i see you saying there. But you might have also missed me realizing i was wrong and admitting so. So i might not be crazy, just a bit loopy when i post right after waking up. Sorry for the inconvenience.

DrMotives
2016-04-06, 11:07 AM
at least, that what i see you saying there. But you might have also missed me realizing i was wrong and admitting so. So i might not be crazy, just a bit loopy when i post right after waking up. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Right, go back and read the very next sentence I wrote, where I said that it doesn't get made permanent in the creature, so why should it if it's extracted? I'll chalk this up to you not being awake, like you said.