PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Random Point Buy

Amechra
2016-04-05, 07:07 PM
No, not like that! Different.

OK, you'll need Xd6, where X is half your point buy total, rounded up. Low Fantasy is 5d6, Standard Fantasy is 8d6, High Fantasy is 10d6, and Epic Fantasy is 13d6. For less randomness, you can set up to two dice per "tier" (so 2d6 for Low Fantasy, 4d6 for Standard Fantasy, 6d6 for High Fantasy, and 8d6 for Epic Fantasy) to whatever value you want before rolling.

Roll them, and split 'em up by number. 1s are Strength, 2s are Dexterity, 3s are Constitution, 4s are Intelligence, 5s are Wisdom, and 6s are Charisma.

• If you only rolled the number on one die, that Ability Score is a 12.
• If you rolled the number on more dice, then each one past the first adds +1 to the Ability Score.
• If you rolled it on 6 or more dice, only keep 5 of them; reroll the rest.

For every set of two to four dice that show the same number, you get 1 shiny, shiny point. You can use these points to increase your stats as per the normal rules for point buy; you can also drop any numbers you didn't roll to pump up the ability scores you rolled.

Examples!

Let's do a few of High Fantasy characters:

For the first one, Anydice gives me: 1, 1, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 4, 6, 6. That's Str 13/Dex 10/Con 13/Int 15/Wis 10/Cha 12, and I have 4 points to spend. I'll put 3 in Intelligence and 1 in Wis, to get Str 13/Dex 10/Con 13/Int 16/Wis 11/Cha 12. I'd use that for a Wizard.

For the second one, I kinda want to play a Paladin. I'll start by assigning three dice each to Strength and Charisma, and then I'll roll 4d6 to get: 1, 1, 2, 4; this gives me a final result of Str 16/Dex 12/Con 10/Int 12/Wis 10/Cha 14, with 2 points to spend. That Con looks a bit dire, so I'll drop my Wis to 9 to get another point, and I'll dump them onto Con, giving me Str 16/Dex 12/Con 12/Int 12/Wis 9/Cha 14. It's usable for my purposes, so I'm happy.

For the last one, let's roll a Monk - two dice in Str, Dex, and Wis gives me 4d6, which I roll to get 1, 2, 3, 4. That's Str 14, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 13, and Cha 10, with 3 points to spend. Let's drop them in Wis and Con, to give me Str 14, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 12, Wis 14, and Cha 10. Could be better.

Disclaimer!
This doesn't produce characters with optimized ability scores; as such, it's not advisable to mix this with more standard pointbuy.