PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Magical Secrets/Magic Initiate w/ Unlisted Spells

orcafromthesky
2016-04-05, 07:15 PM
How do Magical Secrets and Magic Initiate (and other feats/class features like them) work with spells that aren't listed in a classes spell list (because they're granted by some other means), like Dissonant Whispers?

Magic Initiate reads:
Choose a class: bard, cleric, druid, sorcerer, warlock, or wizard. You learn two cantrips of your choice from that class's spell list. In addition, choose on 1st-level spell to learn from the same list.

Magical Secrets reads:
Choose two spells from any class, including this one.

Notice how Magical Secrets doesn't say spell list. Does that mean that the Magical Secrets class feature allows you to grab unlisted spells? Dissonant Whispers is a Warlock spell that's granted by The Great Old One patron.

brainface
2016-04-05, 07:19 PM
It's a bard spell, is it not?

Also, I would guess you can't take any spell that appears only in a domain or patron list etc. by RAW but it should generally be allowed by DM fiat whenever reasonable?

orcafromthesky
2016-04-05, 07:34 PM
It's a bard spell, is it not?

Also, I would guess you can't take any spell that appears only in a domain or patron list etc. by RAW but it should generally be allowed by DM fiat whenever reasonable?

Would you look at that! I never noticed. But yeah, I think you're right about how it works by RAW.

JackPhoenix
2016-04-05, 08:47 PM
Patron specifically adds the spells to warlock's spell list.