PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Alignment Sci-fi Groups

8BitNinja
2016-04-05, 07:31 PM
So I have been play testing my game Futurequest. While we were, the groups mostly involved in the campaign are the universes 9 factions (there is one for each alignment) which controlls the entirety of the known universe.

Since a new player is joining, and my current PCs are mid-level, we are deciding to restart. However, unlike in my last campaign, not all of them are the same alignment.

Do you guys have any ideas for groups that would allow multiple alignments in? I will be happy to give any knowledge on the world needed. They do not have to be original

EDIT: So I thought of some, but I'm not sure that they would be good, they aren't too original either.

Samurai: Elite Police task force that uses the anti-armor weapon, the katana, and cybernetic upgrades (like Street Samurai from Shadowrun). Group is not entirely united, and is split into clans. Clans often get into clan wars. Must be lawful

Medivac Squad: A squad of highly equipped and highly trained battle medics who will pull anyone out of a warzone if they are badly wounded, or even dead, which they will revive them. Must be Lawful Good, Neutral Good, or Lawful Neutral (again, Shadowrun)

MERC: Mercenary Espionage and Reconnaissance Corporation. Named after the FFRP group on this forum. The highest employer of mercenaries in the known universe. However, they are not the best, as most highly skilled mercenaries and assassins are either private or have mafia ties. Any alignment is allowed to join. Mercenaries are put into squads and are sent out based on their availability and contract info the client put in.

goto124
2016-04-05, 07:46 PM
Aren't groups not based on alignment, but on a certain set of beliefs or ideas or actions everyone in the group must stick to?

Which sometimes corresponds to alignment, but alignment is really vague and confusing and a source of constant internet arguments to the point of even DnD essentially throwing it out in their latest edition? Wait, what's alignment in Futurequest?

JoeJ
2016-04-05, 07:55 PM
I second that question. What do you mean by "alignment"?

Mechalich
2016-04-05, 08:08 PM
If you have segregated your universe into alignment based factions with territorial control, um...well, most of the major power groups are going to be alignment based. Essentially, you have recreated the D&D outer planes, where all of the most important factions - the various exemplar outsider groups - are alignment-based.

In order to make this playable in any other fashion than having the party pick an alignment faction to back for their entire campaign, you need to create a new class of factions that are concerned with ideologies as far detached from the alignment struggle as possible - which is what Planescape chose to do with its Factions, building most of them around highly esoteric ideals that are as detached from moral debate as could be reasonably imagined. The problem is, with a planescape-esque 'belief matters' mechanic, these secondary factions are going to be, well, secondary in importance and you're basically relegating mixed-alignment groups to the galactic fringe.

8BitNinja
2016-04-06, 12:31 AM
Aren't groups not based on alignment, but on a certain set of beliefs or ideas or actions everyone in the group must stick to?

Which sometimes corresponds to alignment, but alignment is really vague and confusing and a source of constant internet arguments to the point of even DnD essentially throwing it out in their latest edition? Wait, what's alignment in Futurequest?

I used the D&D alignments to structure the nine factions. The reason why is because of the similar ideologies. I also made it less confusing by all members of a faction have one religion. They also have specified, laws, codes, and regulations that are exclusive to the Futurequest factions.

I second that question. What do you mean by "alignment"?

Standard D&D alignment. I used it to fashion the politics and religion of the Questverse

If you have segregated your universe into alignment based factions with territorial control, um...well, most of the major power groups are going to be alignment based. Essentially, you have recreated the D&D outer planes, where all of the most important factions - the various exemplar outsider groups - are alignment-based.

In order to make this playable in any other fashion than having the party pick an alignment faction to back for their entire campaign, you need to create a new class of factions that are concerned with ideologies as far detached from the alignment struggle as possible - which is what Planescape chose to do with its Factions, building most of them around highly esoteric ideals that are as detached from moral debate as could be reasonably imagined. The problem is, with a planescape-esque 'belief matters' mechanic, these secondary factions are going to be, well, secondary in importance and you're basically relegating mixed-alignment groups to the galactic fringe.

Alright, I just need an excuse for an Honor and Righteousness Lightbringer (Lawful Good) commando to work with a By the Book Imperial (Lawful Neutral) juggernaut and a Fight the Opressor Vigilante (Chaotic Good) scout while being healed by a Do Good, Forget Law Harbinger (Neutral Good) medic.

OldTrees1
2016-04-06, 10:32 AM
Alright, I just need an excuse for an Honor and Righteousness Lightbringer (Lawful Good) commando to work with a By the Book Imperial (Lawful Neutral) juggernaut and a Fight the Opressor Vigilante (Chaotic Good) scout while being healed by a Do Good, Forget Law Harbinger (Neutral Good) medic.

Well the LG one has something in common with all 3 others. The only pair with a philosophic disagreement of note is the LN vs CG. Even there it sounds like they could make a compromise where the CG Vigilante will stick closer to the books in their fight of the oppression while the LN Juggernaut will accept some rule bending on the missions. There will be tension there but the pair will strive to compromise with each other so that the group can progress the shared objectives (3 of the party are good and the last one is likely benevolent even if not quite good).

In total the group will probably behave just at the lg-ng border(lowercase was intentional). If the whole chart were plotted on a 0,0(LE) to 1,1(CG) square, the party would be at (1/3, 3/4) but would have more L-C wiggle than E-G wiggle.

8BitNinja
2016-04-06, 11:35 AM
Well the LG one has something in common with all 3 others. The only pair with a philosophic disagreement of note is the LN vs CG. Even there it sounds like they could make a compromise where the CG Vigilante will stick closer to the books in their fight of the oppression while the LN Juggernaut will accept some rule bending on the missions. There will be tension there but the pair will strive to compromise with each other so that the group can progress the shared objectives (3 of the party are good and the last one is likely benevolent even if not quite good).

In total the group will probably behave just at the lg-ng border(lowercase was intentional). If the whole chart were plotted on a 0,0(LE) to 1,1(CG) square, the party would be at (1/3, 3/4) but would have more L-C wiggle than E-G wiggle.

I guess the team would work well together.

Although I can see the scout and juggernaut arguing with each other a lot. Funny how their classes are polar opposites