PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Kellendros95's Base Class - Forbidden Mage [PEACH]

Kellendros95
2016-04-05, 08:10 PM
I sometimes create classes or class archetypes for my group. Now I made a class for mages, who possese magic that isn't intended for their minds and can drive them crazy.
My English isn't very good, so I apologize for grammatical, spelling and stylistic mistakes and I hope you will tell me about them as well as about your opinion of the class.
This class has never been tested, so there almost certainly are some things that must be changed. Please, write a comment if you find one.
Naturalcrit link (http://www.naturalcrit.com/homebrew/share/SJwFHb0x)
If you don't like Naturalcrit for some reason (this version is a little outdate):

Forbidden Mage

Level
Prof. Bonus
Features
Cantrips Known
Spells Known
Max Spell Level

1st
+2
Spellcasting

2nd
+2
Forbidden Archetype

3rd
+2

4th
+2
Ability Score Improvement

5th
+3

6th
+3
Forbidden Archetype Feature

7th
+3

8th
+3

9th
+4

10th
+4

11th
+4

12th
+4

13th
+5

14th
+5

15th
+5

16th
+5

17th
+6

18th
+6
Resistant Mind

19th
+6

20th
+6
Great Knowledge

Class Features
As a forbidden mage, you gain the following class features.

Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d6 per forbidden mage level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 6 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: ld6 (or 4) + your Constitution modifier per forbidden mage level after 1st

Proficiencies
Armor: None
Weapons: Daggers, darts, slings, quarterstaffs. light crossbows
Tools: None
Saving Throws: Intelligence, Constitution
Skills: Choose two from Arcana, Deception, History, Insight, Intimidation, Investigation, and Religion

Equipment
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:

(a) a light crossbow and 20 bolts or (b) any simple weapon
(a) a component pouch or (b) an arcane focus
(a) a scholar's pack or (b) an explorer's pack
Two daggers

Spellcasting

Cantrips
You know one cantrip of your choice from forbidden mage spell list. You learn additional forbidden mage cantrips of your choice at higher levels, as shown in the Cantrips Known column of the Forbidden mage table.

Spells Known of 1st Level and Higher
At 1st level, you know one 1st-level spell of your choice from the forbidden mage spell list.
The Spells Known column of the Forbidden mage table shows when you learn more forbidden mage spells of your choice of 1st level and higher. A spell you choose must be of a level no higher than what's shown in the table's Max. Spell Level column for your level. You can cast spells at higher levels, up to the Max. Spell Level. When you do so the spell count as spell of the appropriate level for the purpose of a madness points system (see below).
Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the forbidden mage spells you know and replace it with another spell from the forbidden mage spell list, with the same level restrictions.

Madness points
You can use your spells unlimited, but each time you use forbidden mage spell of 1st level or higher, you gain madness points, number equals to the level of spell. When you fall asleep (or start meditate, if you are elf), you have to make an Intelligence saving throw. The DC for this saving throw equals 8 + half of your madness points number, round up. You have not to make this roll if you have no madness points. If you fail this saving throw, roll on the Madness table to create a random effect. After this saving throw all your madness points disappear. If you gain so many madness points that you can succeed this saving throw only if you roll 20 or more madness points than two times your forbidden mage level, roll on the Madness table and remove madness points immediately.

Spellcasting ability
Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for your forbidden mage spells. You use your Intelligence whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition. you use your Intelligence modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a forbidden mage spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier
Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier

Spellcasting focus
You can use an arcane focus (found in chapter 5) as a spellcasting focus to your forbidden mage spells.

Forbidden Archetype
At 2nd level, you choose the archetype, which corresponds the specific of forbidden knowledge you studied: Blood mage, Bokor or Alienist, all detailed at the end of the class description. Your choice grants you the features at 2nd level and again at 6th, 10th and 14th levels.

When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level,you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can't increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

Resistant Mind
At 18th level, you adapt to the effects of spells on your mind. Now you have an advantage on Intelligence saving throw against Madness effects.

Great Knowledge
At 20th level, you have learned the secrets, which were not known to anyone until you. Your Intelligence score and your maximum for it increase by 4. Additionally, choose one forbidden mage spell you know up to 2rd level. You can cast this spell without gaining madness points.

Forbidden Archetypes

Blood Mage

Blood Arrows
When you choose this archetype at 2nd level, you receive an ability to make ranged attacks with sharp spikes, made of your own blood. As an action, hit yourself with any blade weapon and take some damage (your choice, but no more than your hit points). Your hit points maximum reduce by the same number until next long rest. This damage can't be reduced or prevented by any way. Choose a target within 60 ft from you. Make a range spell attack against this target. On a hit, the target takes piercing damage equal three times damage you take. Also you gain one madness point.

Regain Blood
At 6th level you receive an ability to heal yourself with a blood of other creatures. You gain vampiric touch spell. If you already know it, you gain another spell of your choice, that should be from forbidden mage spell list of 3rd level or less. This spell doesn't count against your number of spells known. If your hit points maximum is reduced some way when you use vampiric touch spell, you can restore not only hit points, but also a hit points maximum with it. If you use this feature, you can't use it with other casting of vampiric touch before you finish a long rest.

Wave of Pain
At 10th level you receive an ability to transfer your pain to your enemies. As an action, hit yourself with any blade weapon and take some damage (your choice, but no more than your hit points). Your hit points maximum reduce by the same number until next long rest. This damage can't be reduced or prevented by any way. Each hostile creature within 30 feet from you must make a Intelligence saving throw with DC equal to your spell save DC. A target takes psychic damage equal two times damage you take on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. Also you gain two madness points. You must finish a long rest before you can use this feature again.

Blood Spell
At 14th level you receive an ability to use your blood to emulate spell effects. You can cast any spell of 7th level or less from forbidden mage spell list. When you do it, you must hit yourself with any blade weapon and take 1d8 damage for each level of spell. Your hit points maximum reduce by the same number until next long rest. This damage can't be reduced or prevented by any way. If this damage reduce your hit points to 0, spell has no effect. You must finish a long rest, before you can use this feature again.

Bokor

Delayed Curse
When you choose this archetype at 2nd level, you receive an ability to curse a target in advance and use it when you really need it. When you cast a harm spell that targets one creature you can postpone an effect of the spell and later release or cancel it as a bonus action or a reaction. If a spell requires attack roll (or saving throw) you (or a target of a spell) make it before use this feature. You can have number of spells delayed this way equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum of 1 spell). If someone cast remove curse spell on a target of your delayed spell before you release an effect your spell will be canceled. When you release or cancel an effect of a spell you gain one madness point.

Master of Curses
At 6th level your curses become very hard to avoid. Any saving throw against your spell that normally doesn't deal damage have disadvantage. If creature fails this saving throw it takes 1d4 psychic damage per level of a spell.

Terrifying gaze
Once you reach 10th level a few dare to look in your eyes. As a bonus action, choose a creature that can see you. This creature must make a choice: it can make a Charisma saving throw against your spell save DC and takes 1d6 psychic damage per your forbidden mage level on a failed save, or it can become frightened for 1 minute. You must finish a long rest before you can use this feature again.

Voodoo Doll
At 14th level you receive an ability to make a link between a creature and a doll representing it. You have to see this creature before and spend one hour per creature's hit die to create a doll. You gain one madness point each hour. If you have a doll in your hand you can destroy it as an action. When you do so, roll creature's hit dice to determine damage and gain one madness point per die. Creature takes this amount of force damage, that can't be reduced or prevented by any way and ignores temporary hit points. Creature's hit points maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the damage taken. This reduction lasts until a creature finishes a long rest. If you create another doll, the first one lose its magic.

Alienist

Summon from Far Realms
When you choose this archetype at 2nd level, you gain conjure abberations spell. This spell doesn't count against your number of spells known. When you cast this spell, you gain double amount of madness points.

Conjure Abberations
1th level conjuration
Casting time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
You summon abberations that appear in inoccupied spaces that you can see within range. Choose one or two abberations, the sum of their CRs should be no more than 1. An abberation summoned by this spell disappears when it drops to 0 hit points or when the spell ends. The summoned creatures are friendly to you and your companions. Roll initiative for the summoned creatures as a group. which has its own turns. They obey any verbal commands that you issue to them (no action
required by you). If you don't issue any commands to them, they defend themselves from hostile creatures, hut otherwise take no actions. The DM has the creatures' statistics.
At higher levels: When you cast this spell using certain higher-level spell slot, maximum sum of CRs of creatures is equal to level of a spell slot.

Alien Ability
At 6th level you receive some ability of inhabitants of a Far Realms. You gain one of the following features of your choice:
Mind Blast. As an action you magically emit psychic energy in a 30-foot cone. Each creature in that area must succeed on an Intelligence saving throw against your spell save DC or be stunned for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. You gain 3 madness points and must finish a long rest before you can use this feature again.
Regeneration. As an action you start regenerate very fast. For 1 minute you regain 3 hit points at the start of each of your turns if you have at least 1 hit point. You gain 3 madness points and must finish a long rest before you can use this feature again.
Spell Reflection. If you make a successful saving throw against a spell, or a spell attack misses you, as a reaction you can choose another creature (including the spellcaster) you can see within 30 feet of it. The spell targets the chosen creature instead of you. If the spell forced a saving throw, the chosen creature makes its own save. If the spell was an attack, the attack roll is rerolled against the chosen creature. You gain 3 madness points and must finish a long rest before you can use this feature again.

Creepy Aura
Once you reach 10th level people begin to feel uncomfortable in your presence. Now you have advantage on all Charisma (Intimidation) checks and disadvantage on all Charisma (Persuasion) checks when you interact with someone who is not abberation or Forbidden mage with Alienist Archetype. Additionally, you can use your Alien Ability two times per long rest.

Eldritch Transformation
At 14th level your type changes to abberation. Your Constitution score and your maximum for it increase by 2. Additionally, you can use your Alien Ability three times per long rest.

Madness effects table

d20 roll
Effect

Any
Bad dreams or visions, gain level of exhaustion.

11 and more
You saw the true owner of your magic... and you don't like it. Take psychic damage equal two times number of madness points you had when you rolled. This damage can't be reduced or prevented by any way. If this damage reduce you to 0 hit points, you are automatically stabilized.

16-17
Your mind needs time to recover. You gain random Long-Term Madness (DMG p.260). It lasts until next long rest. Only wish spell can cure it earlier.

Your mind needs time to recover. Your Intelligence score is reduced by 5 until next long rest.

Your mind needs time to recover. You can't cast spells until next long rest.

Your mind is permanently damaged. You gain random Indefinite Madness (DMG p.260). Only wish spell can cure it.

Forbidden Mage Spell List

Cantrips (0 level)
Acid Splash
Chill Touch
Dancing Lights
Mage Hand
Minor Illlusion
Poison Spray
1st level
Armor of Agathys
Arms of Hadar
Bane
Dissonant Whispers
Hellish Rebuke
Hex
Ray of Sickness
Silent Image
Sleep
Tasha's Hideous Laughter
Witch Bolt
2nd level
Blur
Darkness
Crown of Madness
Invisibility
Mirror Image
Misty Step
Ray of Engeeblement
3rd level
Animate Dead
Bestow Curse
Fear
Hunger of Hadar
Hypnotic Pattern
Slow
Stinking Cloud
4th level
Blight
Confusion
Evard's Black Tentacles
Greater Invisibility
Ice Storm
Phantasmal Killer
Polymorph
5th level
Cloudkill
Cone of Cold
Contagion
Destructive Wave
Hallow
Telekinesis
6th level
Circle of Death
Create Undead
Disintegrate
Eyebite
Harm
7th level
Etherealness
Finger of Death
Fire Storm
Project Image
Reverse Gravity
8th level
Control Weather
Clone
Feeblemind
Maze
Power Word Stun
9th level
Imprisonment
Power Word Kill
Time Stop
True Polymorph
Weird

zeek0
2016-04-17, 06:16 AM
I am loathe to let a post go by without a single reply, so I'll make a comment.

I think that each of your subclasses is a distinct concept, and are good to have in any game.

I think that your features are, at first glance, quality.

I just think largely there is no reason to not have those good features be spells. Then make each of your subclasses a subclass of sorcerer or wizard. Then the features of each subclass will be changing the way/effects of the spells you cast.

(A single comment from a breeze-through look at things: make "Regain Blood" give temporary hit points instead of increasing maximum health)

Kellendros95
2016-04-24, 03:00 AM
I am loathe to let a post go by without a single reply, so I'll make a comment.

Thanks.

I just think largely there is no reason to not have those good features be spells.

It's hard to imagine how features like "Blood Spell", "Delayed Curse" and "Master of Curses" can be spells. And some other features don't look like spells too.

(A single comment from a breeze-through look at things: make "Regain Blood" give temporary hit points instead of increasing maximum health)
It doesn't increse maximum health, it only restore it.

Lacco
2016-04-25, 04:34 AM
I'm no expert for classed systems (especially for any D&D), so I'll just throw in my 5 cents: I'd give the player the roll only if he acquired new madness points - to contain the madness. If he passes - the madness is contained at least until he again stirs it up - if he fails, the madness is satisfied by leashing out.

Kellendros95
2016-04-26, 04:29 PM
Made this in Naturalcrit, added link.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-04-27, 04:10 AM
My English isn't very well, so I apologize for grammatical, spelling and stylistic mistakes and I hope you will tell me about them

I'm not much in the mood to critique a class for balance, but I'm always happy to copy-edit! By the way, an English speaker would say "my English isn't very good" - saying something "isn't very well" would mean that it is sick or diseased.

So, my comments in magenta...

Madness points

You can use cast all of your forbidden mage spells unlimited at will, but each time you use cast a forbidden mage spell of 1st level or higher, you gain a number of madness points, number equals to the level of spell. When you fall asleep (or start meditate, if you are elf) begin a long rest, you have to make an Intelligence saving throw. The DC for this saving throw equals 8 + half of your madness points number, round up. You have not to do not make this roll if you have no madness points. If you fail this saving throw, roll on the Madness table to create a random effect and apply the result. After this saving throw all your madness points disappear. - This is ambiguous. Does it mean they disappear regardless of the result, or do they only disappear on a failure?

If you gain so many madness points that you can succeed this saving throw only if you roll 20 or more madness points than two times your forbidden mage level, roll on the Madness table and remove madness points immediately.

Resistant Mind

At 18th level, you adapt to the effects of spells on your mind. Now you have an advantage on the Intelligence saving throw against Madness effects.

Great Knowledge

At 20th level, you have learned the magical secrets, which were not known to anyone until you that no one else has ever known*. Your Intelligence score and your maximum for it increase by 4 increases by 4 and your maximum for that score is now 24. Additionally, choose one forbidden mage spell you know up to 2rd level. You can cast this spell without gaining madness points.

*There are all sorts of things that you could write here, depending on the fluff and style you are going for. The 'error' is mainly in making it a relative clause; "secrets that" works much better here than "secrets, which".

Blood Arrows

When you choose this archetype at 2nd level, you receive an ability to make ranged attacks with sharp spikes, made of your own blood. As an action, hit deal damage to yourself (no more than your current hit points) with any blade weapon that deals piercing or slashing damage and take some damage (your choice, but no more than your hit points). Your hit points maximum is reduced by the same number until next you complete a long rest. This damage can't be reduced or prevented by any way. Choose a target* within 60 ft from of you and make a ranged spell attack against it. On a hit, the target takes piercing damage equal three times the damage you take dealt to yourself. Also you gain one madness point, whether attack hit ot or missed.

*that you can see?

Regain Blood

At 6th level you receive an ability to heal yourself with a the blood of other creatures. You gain learn the vampiric touch spell. If you already know it, you gain another spell of your choice, that should which must be from forbidden mage spell list and of 3rd level or less lower. This spell doesn't count against your number of spells known. If your hit points maximum is reduced some way when you use vampiric touch spell, you can restore not only hit points, but also a hit points maximum with it.

If you use this feature, you can't use it with other casting of vampiric touch until you finish a long rest.

Wave of Pain

At 10th level you receive an ability to transfer your pain to your enemies. As an action, hit deal damage to yourself (no more than your current hit points) with any blade weapon that deals piercing or slashing damage and take some damage (your choice, but no more than your hit points). Your hit points maximum is reduced by the same number until next you complete a long rest. This damage can't be reduced or prevented by any way. Each hostile creature within 30 feet from you must make an Intelligence saving throw with DC equal to against your spell save DC. A target takes psychic damage equal two times the damage you take dealt to yourself on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. When you do so, you gain two madness points.

Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

Blood Spell

At 14th level you receive an ability to use your blood to emulate spell effects. You can use this ability to cast any spell of 7th level or less lower from the forbidden mage spell list. When you do it so, you must hit yourself with any blade weapon and take deal 1d8 damage to yourself using a piercing or slashing weapon for each level of spell (treat cantrips as 1st-level spells). Your hit points maximum is reduced by the same number until next you complete a long rest. This damage can't be reduced or prevented by any way. If this damage reduces your hit points to 0, the spell has no effect.

Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

I'll get to the rest later.

Kellendros95
2016-04-27, 04:44 AM
I'm not much in the mood to critique a class for balance, but I'm always happy to copy-edit!
Thank you very much! I fixed these mistakes. I wrote it a long time ago, I think that my English has improved since then, but I've read it so many times that I can't see mistakes in my text.