PDA

View Full Version : How to build a level 6 luck/destiny cleric?

SangoProduction
2016-04-05, 08:47 PM
I am in need of a build for a level 6 human cleric of "The Fates", who hold sway over luck, destiny, and travel. Occasionally Chaos. Basic backstory: he was a jinx amongst jinxes. After several traumatizing episodes, he explained it away as luck or fate or destiny or whatever. He grew to believe it so strongly that it granted him powers. (Tell me again how rogues dodging fireballs make no sense?)

The first 4 levels need to be phb*, the rest are up to GM discretion, but he said he accepts most everything that fits the character. After character creation, retraining is allowed. So, right now, I've got luck and Travel at level 1.

I would like to know what feats I should pick up (and what I should retrain the core feats to, if anything at all). What equipment I should have right now...and if picking up like Fate Spinner or Fortune's Favored (once I retrain or get luck feats), in the stead of picking up more cleric levels. And what are some notable spells I should be preparing regularly, or at least be keeping an eye on? I've got a good list of luck-spells from my previous thread, but if you've got some, I'd like to also know of them.

Current stats at level 1: human, cleric 1
str: 8
Dex: 10
Con: 16
Int 10
Wis 16
Cha 10

Feats:
picked up Toughness because supposedly a high lethality game, and I expected to start at level 1, as well as lightning reflexes, because I had a +0 to it....I expect to be able to retrain them to better (0r at least more thematic), non-core things, but still. I haven't played the character yet, I should still be change those to any core feat before we start.

*lol. I meant phb. Derp. Not "core"

Psyren
2016-04-06, 08:25 AM
There's a bunch of luck feats in Complete Scoundrel. You can also take the Divine Oracle PrC in Complete Divine, and refluff many of its strong defenses (like Super Evasion and never being surprised) as being due to luck rather than foresight. It grants 10/10 casting.

Gildedragon
2016-04-06, 09:58 AM
Don't go for toughness; it isn't worth it unless you can retrain it. For niche feats take the Luck feats or Improved Power (Luck) from dragon magazine

You are taking the Luck domain
And either Pride or Destiny

Fortune's friend seems like the right-ish class but I can't honestly recommend it you lose 3 casting levels over 5 levels.

Fatespinner seems great too, except arcane only (ask DM?)

Warrnan
2016-04-06, 10:29 AM
In a core only game toughness is still one of the worst feats ever. Improved initiative will allow you to go first more often and destroy your enemies before they can kill you. Defenses are nice but in D&D going first often decides who lives and who dies. Also 3.5 heavily rewards offensively minded players.

It even goes with your lucky theme. You are fortunate enough to rarely be surprised by enemies!

With your ability array I would maybe pick up zen archery or intuitive attack to grab wisdom to attack bonus.

Troacctid
2016-04-06, 10:47 AM
I second Divine Oracle. Luckstealer is an option as well.

SangoProduction
2016-04-07, 11:55 AM
oops. I misspoke. He said "phb" for the first 4 levels, rather than "core". OK. I'll swap toughness for improved initiative.

SangoProduction
2016-04-07, 12:03 PM
Don't go for toughness; it isn't worth it unless you can retrain it. For niche feats take the Luck feats or Improved Power (Luck) from dragon magazine

You are taking the Luck domain
And either Pride or Destiny

Fortune's friend seems like the right-ish class but I can't honestly recommend it you lose 3 casting levels over 5 levels.

Fatespinner seems great too, except arcane only (ask DM?)

oh, right. good warning. thanks. I hope he'll let me use fatespinner regardless lol.