PDA

View Full Version : Do magic weapons have to deal more damage?

Baptor
2016-04-05, 09:08 PM
So I had a discussion with my players recently on the subject of magic items in our games, and what sorts they really enjoy. To my surprise, they really focused on utility items like "immovable rod" and "marvelous pigments" and not so much on the "cloak of protection" and "boots of speed."

What really surprised me however was the subject of magic weapons. They said they wanted magic weapons, but really could do without any sort of combat bonuses such as +1d6 or +1hit. They said in 5e this is just more book keeping than they want to mess with and since such things are necessary like they were in 3.5, they were happier without them.

Normally this would be music to a DM's ear, and I am actually happy with the results, but to me a magic weapon should somehow be "better" than a normal weapon, whether that's "+1" or something similar.

I know the guys don't want to deal with numbers to add on their sheet or bonus dice to roll, so I am trying to think of a way to make a "magic sword" that is somehow better than a normal sword but doesn't require more book keeping. Perhaps increasing the size of the damage die?

Maybe I'm just looking at this the wrong way? It's just weird to me that a magic longsword would deal the same damage as a normal one. Is that wrong?

Shaofoo
2016-04-05, 09:11 PM
No, they don't have to deal more damage.

You can have a magic sword just have some sort of flavor without giving more stats, give it some of the extra effects found in the DMG for magic items. Of course make it also deal with resistances and immunities to nonmagic damage. Even saying this weapon deals fire damage instead of slashing damage is good (no extra fire damage)

Renewal
2016-04-05, 09:11 PM
The easy alternative to combat bonuses or magical effects is to give it a "personality"--perhaps making magical weapons actually sentient, or just giving them a sort of quirky presence that responds to its user's actions.

Fishybugs
2016-04-05, 09:21 PM
Nah, have a sword cause blindness on a critical hit in addition to the damage. Another which can always point in the direction of safety, or of a certain object linked to the sword. One that glows in the presence of enemies like Sting in The Hobbit. Cuts through wood or stone like butter. A War Hammer with a knock-back feature usable X times per long rest or day.

You could come up with any number of things.

JoeJ
2016-04-05, 09:24 PM
Have a sword with a blade made of fire, or ice, or some kind of energy. It does the same damage as a regular sword, but uses the damage type of whatever the blade is.

CantigThimble
2016-04-05, 09:25 PM
Magic weapons deal more damage simply by virtue of overcoming damage resistance and immunity. For most of his career our rogue would have killed for a magic shortsword with no bonuses whatsoever just so he could deal full damage to a lot of things. My knowledge cleric ended up using a +1 greatsword he wasn't proficient in for a while just to deal with a magic resistant creature while he was separated from the party's martial characters. As long as you don't hand out too many, magic weapons will still be precious for their damaging capabilities.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-04-06, 05:30 AM
They said in 5e this is just more book keeping than they want to mess with
but to me a magic weapon should somehow be "better" than a normal weapon

This is the core conflict here. As far as I can see, any non-trivial improvement in a weapon's effectiveness must entail some additional amount of bookkeeping. For my money, +1 to hit and damage is actually pretty good in terms of its effectiveness-to-bookkeeping ratio, since all you have to do is change two numbers on your character sheet and then forget about it. Certainly better than "when you roll a natural 20 on the attack roll, X happens" or "you can cast Y spell once per day".

The other thing is, the more bookkeeping-intensive things are often going to be more fun for the players, so there's a tradeoff there as well...

Cazero
2016-04-06, 05:57 AM
A magic sword with no other properties than being magic will already deal more damage than a nonmagical equivalent by virtue of creature with resistance/immunity to nonmagical weapons existing.

Lollerabe
2016-04-06, 06:08 AM
Pretty much the resistance/immunity thing, I tried fighting a bunch of monsters that had res/non magical on my paladin, I would have killed for a magic warhammer (with no additional properties) in that campaign.

But yeah hand out magic items, give them an awesome description and maybe some of the magic item quirks from the DMG, hell even the frodo's sting with 'lights up' when orcs are nearby is cool flavor and hardly broken.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-04-06, 07:28 AM
This is the core conflict here. As far as I can see, any non-trivial improvement in a weapon's effectiveness must entail some additional amount of bookkeeping. For my money, +1 to hit and damage is actually pretty good in terms of its effectiveness-to-bookkeeping ratio, since all you have to do is change two numbers on your character sheet and then forget about it. Certainly better than "when you roll a natural 20 on the attack roll, X happens" or "you can cast Y spell once per day".

The other thing is, the more bookkeeping-intensive things are often going to be more fun for the players, so there's a tradeoff there as well...
This. If your players can't be bothered to write down a single static bonus or roll an extra damage die, what the heck do they count as "low bookkeeping?"

kaoskonfety
2016-04-06, 08:05 AM
No bonuses on Magic Weapons really feels like the default direction to go frankly.

I've had player keep the cursed -1 attack roll/damage sword because its magical and can stab ghosts. This is rarely important, but when you need it you REALLY need it.

My current group has a magical dagger made of bone (happens to be lycanthope bone... and the wounds from the dagger can cause lycanthropy... they don't know this, but they got it from an evil Lycanthope/darkness worshiping cultist so really this isn't my fault), no bonuses at all and its kinda a bad weapon for every member of the group. But it can kill werewolves (which have been oddly common... I am a bastard...)

"Non-combat bonus" weapon enchantments
- light, or similar cantrips/1st level spells at will or x per day/long rest/lunar cycle/ever
- direction sense (points north)
- bearer gets +2 hp when spending hit dice on short reset, or is subject to spare the dying whenever redused to 0 hp
- deals off-brand damage (pshycic or necrotic blade made of darkness, fire for the old trope, Lightsabres for radiant... a mace that deals force damage
- immunity to some status effect (bleeding, poison, disease and fear are all popular but if you'd like you can go further afield with non-detection, immunity to surprise or falling damage)

Or perhaps some deep, interesting and/or awful flaw..
- cannot bring harm to/heals dragons/giants/dwarves/undead/werecreatures/the mindless
- the wielder no longer dreams if human and now must sleep if elven, dwarves are unaffected, halflings cannot pick it up.
- weighs 3x normal and exhausts the wielder during any battle that takes more then 6 rounds
- deals 1 damage when drawn, to everyone within 5'-500' feet (1d100x5 - so many dead squirels)
- cannot land a killing blow/cannot be sheathed until it kills
- various low key curses (disadvantage on a subset of skill checks or a specific save like Medusa gaze or lycanthropy)

Sir cryosin
2016-04-06, 09:18 AM
Magic weapons deal more damage simply by virtue of overcoming damage resistance and immunity. For most of his career our rogue would have killed for a magic shortsword with no bonuses whatsoever just so he could deal full damage to a lot of things. My knowledge cleric ended up using a +1 greatsword he wasn't proficient in for a while just to deal with a magic resistant creature while he was separated from the party's martial characters. As long as you don't hand out too many, magic weapons will still be precious for their damaging capabilities.

You know you and the rogue could of just silvered your weapons to over come nonmagical resistance.

CantigThimble
2016-04-06, 09:24 AM
You know you and the rogue could of just silvered your weapons to over come nonmagical resistance.

That only works on lycanthropes. Lots of other creatures have resistance to nonmagical attacks that isn't overcome by silver weapons, like shadows or salamanders. Rakshasas are immune to nonmagical weapons, including silver ones. (And I carry a silver dagger around on every character for this exact reason regardless)

smcmike
2016-04-06, 09:31 AM
+1 doesn't necessarily make the item any more interesting, so unless you are just trying to hand out some goodies to make your characters more powerful, it isn't really necessary.

There are plenty of very interesting things a magical weapon can do beyond hitting more or doing more damage. Some magic weapons might only be weapons at all as a secondary use - flare or firework arrows, a knife that cuts without causing any pain (good for surgery, also for assassination), dress weapons or armor enchanted for beauty or social use.

gfishfunk
2016-04-06, 09:36 AM
Alternative:

- The Str/Dex modifier on the damage remains normal damage, and the d# damage is acid/fire/ice/whatever. Same damage, slightly different utility.
- Can summon the weapon with a bonus action after bonding
- The weapon has advantage on attacks versus a certain enemy subgroup

Slipperychicken
2016-04-06, 09:38 AM
My DM gave me a sword that gives the wielder advantage on initiative, and once per day it could give the wielder a little speed boost.

N810
2016-04-06, 10:00 AM
Easiest option:
Bump it up the next die size and add some damage type (fire/ice/lightning/necrotic/etc... )

Alternately give the sword a debuf on enemies it hits, (nothing too powerful)
possibly depending on the D20 to hit roll (like it works when you roll 17-20 on die)

Baptor
2016-04-06, 10:09 AM
Easiest option:
Bump it up the next die size and add some damage type (fire/ice/lightning/necrotic/etc... )

I've thought of this. Similar to Baatorian Green Steel. This way they'd get that one upgrade during a campaign, kind of like how armor works. My campaigns are very short.

My only concern about having the weapon deal energy damage is sneak attack. Won't all those dice become energy damage too? That could go wonky.

And just so there is no miscommunication, my players are find with +0 swords that look cool and do nothing. I'm the one who wants some kind of combat bonus. My players would be happiest with no bonuses at all, which admittedly makes me seem kind of selfish. Ok selfish.

Which is why I am wanting people to challenge my perceptions because its sort of a mental block, "magic weapons do more damage!" When this is perhaps not true.

Giant2005
2016-04-06, 10:35 AM
Virtually any property that exists is going to require more book keeping than simply adding +1 to your sheet. The only way for a property to require less effort is to put it entirely in the hands of the DM - the weapons need to inflict penalties to the enemy rather than add bonuses to the wielder (such as reducing the monster's AC by 1 or something). That way it is up to the DM to make the adjustments and not the player.
Of course it would also have to be an unknown quality too, otherwise the players would have to write it on their sheets which would again bring up the issue of it requiring more work than putting the +1 on their sheets (unless you managed to describe the quality with less than two alphanumeric characters, which would be an impressive feat).

kaoskonfety
2016-04-06, 11:03 AM
Maybe I'm just looking at this the wrong way? It's just weird to me that a magic longsword would deal the same damage as a normal one. Is that wrong?

I suppose to address this reasoning specifically:
I'd argue: No, it doesn't need to 'do more damage'. It can be used to kill a god, that means it does do more damage: as in any, to a fair number of very dangerous enemies and double damage (full normal damage rather than half) to a larger list.

It's sword, no fire or ice or gimmicks. But its a sword that can cut anything "if you meet God, he will be cut." was the line in Kill Bill?

In a setting with only, say, 3 magic weapons none of which do anything but overcome resistance/immunity to non-magical weapons this is literally the only thing they will ever need to be unique named artifacts sought in epic quests (and probably guarded by things you REALLY want the sword to fight and your all warrior party will need to drown or something).

In a more magic heavy setting they are still 'good' but you will probably want to put a bit a flash on them if you want them to stand out. Elven runes that act as a 'spellbook' with Sleep (or Gate, or whatever in the middle pleases) scribed on it, glowing in the presence of a favoured foe, a gift from a king that serves as a mark of his favour to his followers, a quiet curse lurking for some story reasons down the line... all of the above... something neat to make them stand out a bit against the "it's +1" static.

Shining Wrath
2016-04-06, 12:07 PM
I supplied the party monk with a quarterstaff that casts Locate Animal once per day. He's never used the spell, but the quarterstaff counts as a magic weapon when needed.

Daishain
2016-04-06, 03:29 PM
I gave a glaive that as a bonus action could extend to grant up to 20 feet of reach. Catch was that every extra 5 feet of reach beyond normal created a 5 foot dead zone around the PC, kind of like how spears worked in 3.x. Had to come up with a few extra rules to cover various situations, but the player is loving it more than his compatriot who got a more traditional damage bonus.

denthor
2016-04-06, 03:33 PM
You can always have a weapon that goes Mercy that way it does not lethal damage every time And a character with a Vow Pacifism Can wield it

eastmabl
2016-04-06, 04:21 PM
Look at the Sword of Warning in the DMG.

Magic weapon, no bonuses to attack.

RickAllison
2016-04-06, 05:06 PM

It also tends to be one of the highest rated magic items!

I always liked the idea of how it communicates with its wielder. Does it toll bells as a warning (and so be a risky item for stealth missions), or communicate telepathically with the wielder (and so have a personality), or just give a vague premonition?

krugaan
2016-04-06, 05:14 PM
This. If your players can't be bothered to write down a single static bonus or roll an extra damage die, what the heck do they count as "low bookkeeping?"

DM: "Congrats, you found a +1 magic longsword of restrictive firebreath!"

Player: "Ugh, with all this math, whats this restrictive firebreath stuff?"

DM: "whenever you score a hit by 5 or more with the sword, you gain one use of firebreath, dealing 4d6 fire in a 15' cone, recharging on a 5-6."

Player: "so I firebreath and it recharges on a 5-6?"

DM: "no, the ability to gain firebreath by hitting with a 5 point deficit recharges on a 5-6, after you firebreath."

Player: "it takes a bonus action to breath?"

DM: "Yes, but only on a turn where you don't take the attack or cast option as your action, that's why it's restrictive."

Player: "ok, thanks, that sounds cool and easy to remember!"

Knaight
2016-04-06, 05:25 PM
It sounds like you want the +1/+1 more as a generic signifier of magic items being better than others than anything else, so you could just find a replacement for that. An obvious one would be durability - magic items don't rust, they don't scratch, and if one gets dropped in a pool and stays there for a thousand years, the people who find it find a weapon and not an oddly rusty pool with some rotten wood in it.

Slipperychicken
2016-04-06, 06:16 PM
It also tends to be one of the highest rated magic items!

I always liked the idea of how it communicates with its wielder. Does it toll bells as a warning (and so be a risky item for stealth missions), or communicate telepathically with the wielder (and so have a personality), or just give a vague premonition?

Maybe it just vibrates the handle to warn of danger?

Baptor
2016-04-06, 09:31 PM

I did, and it's a great weapon. I've already given one out in our current high-level game. The player who has it loves it and its a great example of what I want to give out.

Problem is, I can't keep giving out weapons of warning. Got to come up with new stuff for everyone else and for future campaigns.

I've not made anything as bad as the "sword of restrictive fire breath" but alot of my alternative weapons end up needlessly complex like that. Anytime I try to make a cool weapon, it ends up become a whole character unto itself.

I just like magic items. It's hard not to get carried away.

Norgrim Malgus
2016-04-06, 09:41 PM
You could also introduce one or more themed magic weapons. As an example, if your group were to be adventuring in the Underdark, one unique property a magic weapon could have would be that it automatically gives advantage on attack rolls versus a certain enemy/creature type.

Pex
2016-04-06, 09:51 PM
There's nothing wrong with a magic weapon doing more damage than a non-magic one, but it isn't necessary. However, it should do something because it's magic. I disagree with just changing the damage type to some elemental energy. That just changes the "color" and is more boring, to me, than a mere +1. It's not doing anything. The weapon is also no better than a non-magical one against creatures resistant to that energy and worse than non-magical against creatures immune to the energy.

What that something is should be useful and fun to use. Gives proficiency to a skill. Gives advantage to a skill. Gives advantage on one specific saving throw, even if it's only a minor (ST, IN, CH). Gives proficiency to a saving throw. Gives resistance to a damage type that the PC will face, i.e. if you make it resistance to piercing the PC will be attacked by piercing damage from time to time. An energy type resistance is fine too. It can be aggressive in nature instead, something that affects the opponent hit triggering on a critical hit or player chooses to activate it for a number of times per day, saving throw to negate. Disadvantage to attack rolls or saving throws for a round. Disadvantage on concentration checks. A Bane spell effect. Can't move from current location for a round nor take an opportunity attack. Lose bonus and reaction Actions.

RickAllison
2016-04-06, 10:06 PM
One thing I would like to see more of is off-type weapons with special effects. The Javelin of Lightning and that boomerang from PoEE are fun items that don't dominate combat, but give a one-time effect that makes the player feel powerful or to deal damage in a way the class normally doesn't. I'm especially fond of a divine trident that deals AoE damage in the holy symbol of an aquatic god (or similar items). Flavorful and powerful.

comk59
2016-04-06, 10:17 PM
My players honestly don't care all that much about pluses and bigger damage when it comes to magic weapons. I have yet to find any real reason to include them, they think the +0 weapons are awesome in their own right.

It's possible that this is because of how I emphasize the background and design of the weapons, instead of the number crunching. My rogue and warlock got into an actual fight over who would get a +0 crystal rod/dagger thing that they looted off a goblin chieftan! And they both already had magic weapons, they just thought it sounded awesome.

I also like to have characters "earn" magic weapons. My fighter killed a young frost drake (unintelligent, animalistic versions of dragons), and the greatsword he used became infused with its lifeblood. It can choose to deal either cold or slashing damage, and he can cast fog once a day. That's all. He was offered a dukedom for it, and turned it down, because it's HIS sword goddammit.

I've found that players, my players at least, care a lot more about that kind of thing than about flat bonuses. It sounds like your group might be the same way.

SliceandDiceKid
2016-04-07, 07:56 AM
Maybe it just vibrates the handle to warn of danger?

I know a few players who'd go looking for extra danger with that......

Beleriphon
2016-04-07, 08:42 AM
The Dancing Sword is another good option, since it doesn't have an attack bonus, but it is magical. Flame Tongue and Frost Brand are also good examples of magical weapons that don't have bonuses to hit or damage (although both deal extra dice of damage, or do other things). The Oath Bow is pretty dang awesome too, and it includes the need to utter a command. The Mace of Terror and Mace of Smiting are both really, really awesome weapons.

Shining Wrath
2016-04-07, 08:45 AM
You could have a weapon that doesn't do extra damage, but part of the damage is of a different type - e.g., a great sword that does 1d6 slashing plus 1d6 psychic.

SliceandDiceKid
2016-04-07, 11:27 AM
No bonuses on Magic Weapons really feels like the default direction to go frankly.

I've had player keep the cursed -1 attack roll/damage sword because its magical and can stab ghosts. This is rarely important, but when you need it you REALLY need it.

My current group has a magical dagger made of bone (happens to be lycanthope bone... and the wounds from the dagger can cause lycanthropy... they don't know this, but they got it from an evil Lycanthope/darkness worshiping cultist so really this isn't my fault), no bonuses at all and its kinda a bad weapon for every member of the group. But it can kill werewolves (which have been oddly common... I am a bastard...)

"Non-combat bonus" weapon enchantments
- light, or similar cantrips/1st level spells at will or x per day/long rest/lunar cycle/ever
- direction sense (points north)
- bearer gets +2 hp when spending hit dice on short reset, or is subject to spare the dying whenever redused to 0 hp
- deals off-brand damage (pshycic or necrotic blade made of darkness, fire for the old trope, Lightsabres for radiant... a mace that deals force damage
- immunity to some status effect (bleeding, poison, disease and fear are all popular but if you'd like you can go further afield with non-detection, immunity to surprise or falling damage)

Or perhaps some deep, interesting and/or awful flaw..
- cannot bring harm to/heals dragons/giants/dwarves/undead/werecreatures/the mindless
- the wielder no longer dreams if human and now must sleep if elven, dwarves are unaffected, halflings cannot pick it up.
- weighs 3x normal and exhausts the wielder during any battle that takes more then 6 rounds
- deals 1 damage when drawn, to everyone within 5'-500' feet (1d100x5 - so many dead squirels)
- cannot land a killing blow/cannot be sheathed until it kills
- various low key curses (disadvantage on a subset of skill checks or a specific save like Medusa gaze or lycanthropy)

Thanks for these ideas! I copy pasted most of this post into my notes. Lol

AZGrowler
2016-04-07, 04:45 PM
For a minor magic item, how about a sword that is immune to rust, never needs sharpening, and blood/viscera doesn't stick to it. It's not any deadlier than a regular sword, but it always looks pristine, and never needs maintenance. Perfect for that vain, lazy fighter!

Hudsonian
2016-04-08, 09:24 AM
I really like the extended critical ranges. But I would only use it on weapons that do not qualify for GWM or sneak attack.

For darker characters there are also the life stealing options. Heal the dice damage per hit. (d6 or lower) But this would need a downside like being a shunned weapon. Or it is addictive and slowly turns the character evil, then chaotic evil.

Wolverine Claws that deal 2d4 + mod awesomeness damage. Also qualifies as a monk weapon. heightened sense of smell.

Snipers Bow: Zooms in when sighting. cover adds no bonus to AC, You can see 3 x further than normal when looking down a drawn arrow.

Stalker Arrow: You can't seem to get rid of the thing, for some reason every time you shoot it, burn it, break it, give it away, sell it (DC20 deception check) the next time you put your hand in your quiver the arrow is there. It has leopard print feathers and an arrowhead shaped like a heart. Over time you start to notice that your other arrows are going missing... The only way to get rid of it is to say, "I never loved you".

JackPhoenix
2016-04-08, 09:34 AM
For a minor magic item, how about a sword that is immune to rust, never needs sharpening, and blood/viscera doesn't stick to it. It's not any deadlier than a regular sword, but it always looks pristine, and never needs maintenance. Perfect for that vain, lazy fighter!

I consider something like that standard officer's weapon when running Eberron, to emphasise the "low level magic everywhere" feel without filling the world with items players could abuse.

Also, cloaks enchanted to keep the wearer comfortable regardless of weather, self-cleaning and repairing clothes for nobles, mugs and plates that keeps the dring and food at the perfect temperature, magical lighters, waterproof bedrolls that keeps away insects and are comfortable even on rocky ground and similar things are common. Not "every commoner has one", but "you can buy one for few dozens (or hundreds) gold pieces, what else do you expect the magic shops to sell, Wands of Fire?"

You can always have a weapon that goes Mercy that way it does not lethal damage every time And a character with a Vow Pacifism Can wield it

There's no non-lethal damage in 5e. You can just choose to knock the target unconscious instead of killing them at 0 hp, though only in melee.

JakOfAllTirades
2016-04-08, 07:16 PM
My favorite magical weapon from the DMG is the Warning weapon, which prevents surprise and gives advantage on initiative checks. It does no extra damage. (Also, it's listed as an Uncommon item; should something this potent be Rare?)

Zman
2016-04-08, 10:50 PM
Of course they don't have to deal extra damage, but often will. Take this item for example...

Lucky Bow: Treat all rolls of a one to hit as an automatic hit instead of an automatic miss.

This yields a magic bow that is in effect a +1 to hit, though gives the opportunity to describe awesome richochets etc and has characters excited to roll disadvantage as they outperform a magical bow in these scenarios.

Or this one...

Heroes Shield(Requires Attunement): Shield with Melee weapon qualities, Light, Finesse, Thrown(30/120'). It deals a d6 Blugeoning Damage and the Wielder is considered proficient with it. As a Bonus action the shield can be summoned and instantly donned.

Now we have a shield that can be equipped as a bonus action and can be thrown Captain America style. If you wanted you can even add a clause allowing it to make multiple attacks if the character is capable.

Weapons don't have to add bigger numbers or add damage, but they should always enrich the game.

Ikitavi
2016-04-09, 09:54 PM

And not bad for the assassin type. "But surely if I had just killed someone, there would be some trace of blood on my weapon? You have the wrong guy, officer."

PoeticDwarf
2016-04-10, 04:53 AM
Just ignore all resistances and immunities

DM keeps track of it and isn't too much

Slipperychicken
2016-04-14, 07:16 PM
And not bad for the assassin type. "But surely if I had just killed someone, there would be some trace of blood on my weapon? You have the wrong guy, officer."

I dunno, I get tired of having law enforcement ignorant of all things magical.

As for getting blood of your weapon, we also have these magical items called "rags" or "your victim's shirt".

JackPhoenix
2016-04-14, 08:26 PM

"A-ha! But we never said anything about the victim being killed with a weapon! How do you know that?"

BW022
2016-04-15, 11:11 AM
It is your campaign. There is no need for magic weapons to do more damage. However, I don't see this as a major issue. Magic items are much rarer in 5e, so they are unique enough that having players enter a +1 on their sheet is hardly an issue. The tiny amount of extra damage is to keep from the 3e and 4e issue where characters just became a massive of pluses.

If you want ways of magical weapons notable without the damage bonus...

* Make them unbreakable, don't rust, can't be destroyed.
* Give them a unique back story. Maybe part of a quest, maybe someone is looking for it, there is a prophecy about it, etc.
* Give is a fairly limited but useful property. Say advantage on attack roles vs. true goblins or against members of a specific evil god.
* Give it a limited but useful ability. Glows near orcs, sheds light, turns red when touches someone with a disguise self, alter self, or polymorph spell, etc.
* Make it useful symbolically. Say people recognize it and certain people react positively. Maybe a church will help you out because you have the sword of a famous paladin, maybe a thieves' guild knows that a certain dagger once was used in a great heist, etc.
* Make it useful physically. It is a key to a certain crypt, maybe it is the only think which can shatter chains imprisoning a trapped angel, or perhaps there is something useful in its pommel which only opens after you slay 5 demons with it, etc.
* Add a larger damage bonus only in specific cases. It does +2d6 damage vs. lycanthropes. Less bookkeeping until it really matters.

Lots of things you can do to magical weapons other than a strict damage bonus.

kaoskonfety
2016-04-15, 11:57 AM
"A-ha! But we never said anything about the victim being killed with a weapon! How do you know that?"

I was going to point out how silly this is... but looking at D&D, death by weapon is probably not the leading cause of mortality in the common street person.

Shadows maybe? Intellect devourers? Cackle Fever? Slaadi?

DracoKnight
2016-04-15, 12:56 PM
I think that my favorite magic item I've ever had was when my group was playing Hoard of the Dragon Queen. I was a Kobold (Lightfoot halfling reskinned) Rogue planning on going Assassin, and the DM let us all start with a minor magic item. For me, I chose a shortsword that had been created years before by the great smiths of my tribe to aid in the service of our dragon-lord. I was exiled for petty thievery, and on my way out decided to snag the sword too. With sword in hand, I cloaked myself, hiding my face, and made my way to Greenest. My sword's blade glowed bight blue like Sting (my DM rolled on the magic items quirks table, and rolled that it glows in the presence of anyone belonging to the race of its creator; because I was a kobold it was constantly glowing :smallbiggrin:), and it wrought death upon my foes before I died.

It was a fun weapon - it didn't need +1 to hit and damage, or any other mechanical benefit (I mean, other than begin magical), it was just a simple shortsword that happened to be magical and had a fun as heck backstory. My DM likes handing out magical loot - I've had everything from a +1 longsword, to a Sunblade, to a Vorpal Sword, and yet, this was my favorite :smallsmile:

Beleriphon
2016-04-15, 04:11 PM
I consider something like that standard officer's weapon when running Eberron, to emphasise the "low level magic everywhere" feel without filling the world with items players could abuse.

Also, cloaks enchanted to keep the wearer comfortable regardless of weather, self-cleaning and repairing clothes for nobles, mugs and plates that keeps the dring and food at the perfect temperature, magical lighters, waterproof bedrolls that keeps away insects and are comfortable even on rocky ground and similar things are common. Not "every commoner has one", but "you can buy one for few dozens (or hundreds) gold pieces, what else do you expect the magic shops to sell, Wands of Fire?"

There's no non-lethal damage in 5e. You can just choose to knock the target unconscious instead of killing them at 0 hp, though only in melee.

If I recall Eberron has glamorweave which was magic cloth that could change colour and texture at the command of the wearer.

Gtdead
2016-04-15, 04:16 PM
Magic Weapon +# is boring. It's not necessary for the game. Anything else would be better. Telepathy, teleportation, ability to summon it and conceal it, having it cast darkness, having it curse the target, having it sing. As long as it bypasses the physical resistances of the targets, it's more than enough.