PDA

View Full Version : Enhancing Spiked Shield Spikes

leobahmed
2016-04-05, 10:12 PM
Hey everyone,

I am currently playing with a Sword and Board tanker and I would like to enchance its Spiked Shield with defensive bonus and attack bonus.
The thing is it gets so damn expensive to place all those enhancements. So I would like to enhance the spikes with attack bonuses and the shield with defensive bonuses. However, my DM said he won't let me do that unless I find in any book that this is allowed.

Do you guys know anything about this?
Any kind of help is welcome.

Thanks!

OldTrees1
2016-04-05, 10:22 PM
Hey everyone,

I am currently playing with a Sword and Board tanker and I would like to enchance its Spiked Shield with defensive bonus and attack bonus.
The thing is it gets so damn expensive to place all those enhancements. So I would like to enhance the spikes with attack bonuses and the shield with defensive bonuses. However, my DM said he won't let me do that unless I find in any book that this is allowed.

Do you guys know anything about this?
Any kind of help is welcome.

Thanks!

Reference the SRD or the PHB(equipment chapter, the description of the item in question)

Shield Spikes
When added to your shield, these spikes turn it into a martial piercing weapon that increases the damage dealt by a shield bash as if the shield were designed for a creature one size category larger than you. You can’t put spikes on a buckler or a tower shield. Otherwise, attacking with a spiked shield is like making a shield bash attack.

An enhancement bonus on a spiked shield does not improve the effectiveness of a shield bash made with it, but a spiked shield can be made into a magic weapon in its own right.
As it clearly states, a spiked shield qualifies both to made into a magic shield and separately into a magic weapon. A +2 Light Fortification / +1 Flaming Spiked Heavy Steel Shield would cost 1K * 3^2(magic shield) + 2K * 2^2(magic weapon) + 150(mwk) + 20gp = 17,170gp

Warrnan
2016-04-06, 11:03 AM
Yep. Old trees is correct. Logically the spikes are the weapon and the shield is like armor. They just happen to be bolted together, same thing with spiked armor.

Eloel
2016-04-06, 11:12 AM
IF your DM rules otherwise, get Improved Shield Bash, enhance your shield as armor (and just give straight +s) and enjoy your free weapon +s.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-04-06, 11:38 AM
As an additional layer, light and heavy shields (but not bucklers or tower shields) are also weapons, as they have their own entries in the weapon chart, so you can enhance a masterwork shield as a weapon separately from its shield spikes or qualities as a defensive item.