PDA

View Full Version : Favorite weapon spells

Yaitanos
2016-04-06, 03:12 AM
Just had an interesting conversation with a friend and it made me curious; What weapons spells does the playground enjoy/employ? Go ahead and list your favorites, and how you use them.

Clarification on the parameters of what I mean by 'weapon spell'.
1- Must be an actual spell; something that any class can cast (mysteries, invocation, utterances, fundamental and powers count).
2- Must be a spell that creates, augments or empowers a weapon of any kind. (Which means no spell use "like" a weapon).
3- Cannot be a weapon ability or quality (though spells that grant such things can totally be listed).
4- Cannot be a class granted spell-like ability that applies weapon abilities or enhancements.
5- Cannot be homebrew, must be official material published. Although 3rd party sources count with citation.
6- If entries do not include amusing anecdotes the post must contain :smallbiggrin:.

weckar
2016-04-06, 06:29 AM
Hmmmmm does Eldritch Glaive count? Me loves the glaive, it's so bad :smallbiggrin:

MisterKaws
2016-04-06, 07:14 AM
Thunderlance: It's like a lance, just twenty times better in any aspect other than charging.

Oh, and it also works like the Monkey King's magic bar, in that it extends and contracts at will.

ATHATH
2016-04-06, 08:52 AM
I like the Blade of Pain and Fear spell, especially with Weapon Finesse (it only negates the STR bonus, not any DEX bonuses...).

ShurikVch
2016-04-06, 07:18 PM
For Evil characters - Vileblade (6th level Corrupt spell in Dragon #300). It create +4 unholy longsword, which cause double damage to creatures with opposed alignment (all damage is vile).
Those who critted with it are charmed for duration of the spell (Will save)
Caster may use it at no penalty even if not proficient with longswords, and use Cha (instead Str) bonus for attack and damage rolls

Pex
2016-04-06, 07:43 PM
5E Spiritual Weapon. Helps a warrior-type cleric feel like one using it in conjunction with his own attack.

2E Flame Blade. My druid used this a lot way back when. Fun times.

Pathfinder Holy Ice. My oracle likes to attack with lots of holy water ice javelins. Mostly I've been using the spell for the wall, but occasionally I get to barrage.

BowStreetRunner
2016-04-06, 10:16 PM
Whirling Blade (Complete Arcane/Spell Compendium) found on the Wizard/Sorcerer, Bard, Warmage, and Spellthief lists allows you to make a slashing melee attack against every target in a 60 ft line using your primary caster stat modifier instead of STR. I particularly like its synergy with things like the Knowledge Devotion feat or a Bard using Dragonfire Inspiration.

Keld Denar
2016-04-06, 10:48 PM
Whirling Blade is the gish's gunblade. My personal favorite. Esp considering that it's CL independent and not even dependent on a casting stat if you have a good Str makes it incredible versatile on lots and lots of builds even if you put it in a wand and stash that wand in a wand chamber on a weapon.

Combos well with Sudden Stunning and Spellstoring, and decently well with Wounding.

Also, Quickcasting it or casting it Quickened as a 6th level spell gives you twice as many hits.

Plus the line mechanic is neat and not used very often outside of Lightning Bolt.

Anecdote...my step-son has a Dwarven Duskblade with a sentient Glaive named Finslayer that goes WHEEEEEEEEE when he gets thrown at Aboleth, Illithids, and Kuo-Toa.

Elder_Basilisk
2016-04-06, 11:00 PM
Whirling blade is great. It also combos well with Power Attack, Arcane Strike, and greater magic weapon. (And fires of purity if you want to get really ugly). For weapon properties, ghost touch shouldn't be left off the list. It's not easy to get area effect damage that has full effect on incorporeal creatures but whirling blade with a ghost touch weapon will do it.

Back in the Living Greyhawk days, I remember dropping an 8th level spell into Arcane Strike, quickdrawing a greater magic weaponed ghost touch, undead bane sword, cranking power attack to max and casting whirling blade followed up by quickened whirling blade to destroy a group of charisma draining dread wraith analogues. Very expensive in terms of spell slots, but the damage added quickly.

Vizzerdrix
2016-04-07, 06:29 AM
Ive always loved steeldance and launch bolt. Launch bolt can get silly with the propper meta magics.