PDA

View Full Version : Players don't want promotions - Is that normal?

Jon_Dahl
2016-04-06, 03:33 AM
Recently my players said that they want to avoid achieving the rank of Master in an adventurers' guild where all serve as journeymen. Before that one the PCs refused a promotion in an army where they all served as lieutenants. He didn't even want know what was the rank that the general offered (It was over-lieutenant, a fantasy rank). I don't know why they don't want promotions or higher ranks.

Is this common? That the players are against taking command or having a high ranks or positions?

Inevitability
2016-04-06, 04:11 AM
In my experience, players enjoy bossing NPC's around, so their behavior is definitely atypical.

Do the players trust you? They might suspect a catch.

Alternatively, you could just ask them why they don't want a rank.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-04-06, 04:17 AM
Typically, rank comes with responsibility. Maybe they're worried about being saddled with unwanted responsibility?

HammeredWharf
2016-04-06, 04:24 AM
Based on what I've read about your games, you love micromanagement, while your players aren't huge fans of it. Maybe they don't want to babysit NPCs?

Spore
2016-04-06, 05:25 AM
Typically, rank comes with responsibility. Maybe they're worried about being saddled with unwanted responsibility?

One of my campaigns is outright offputting. I don't want to hand out quests to NPCs I want to do things myself. I don't want to diplomance the queen into attacking the vampire castle I want to infiltrate it myself. I want to get intel on the enemy myself not use a spy network.

Telonius
2016-04-06, 05:40 AM
I'm trying to think of all the characters (PCs, not NPCs) I've ever played, and I don't think a single one of them would have taken the offer. If there's an ancient prophecy on the verge of being fulfilled, or some trans-dimensional threat breaking out, they'd need to drop everything to fix it. Any soldiers under their command would be eaten, liquefied, or driven insane pretty much instantly.

If one of my characters were deliberately in an army as their chosen profession, they'd think of themselves as part of an elite rapid-response unit, and do everything they could to stay out in the field. Getting promoted out of the unit would be seen as a forced retirement or some kind of professional disaster. Decoration? Sure. "Promotion" with the understanding that it's an increase in pay grade only? Absolutely. But no underlings. If I wanted those, I'd have taken the Leadership feat.

Necroticplague
2016-04-06, 05:42 AM
Is this common? That the players are against taking command or having a high ranks or positions?

Yes, for the same reasons you might turn down promotions in real life.

RoboEmperor
2016-04-06, 05:43 AM
I would never accept a promotion or even a membership. My character is too powerful and significantly more important than these low lives in some guild to be tied down and waste my time with.

Âmesang
2016-04-06, 09:34 AM
I've a ranger who's very much the loner type and would avoid such things, although part of the idea of roleplaying her was to have her grow accustomed to trusting others and acting as part of a group, so joining a guild or army would be a step towards that.

On the other hand I've a villain who thinks herself naturally above others, but will still join guilds to put on a kind, trusting appearance while utilizing their resources. "Of course I'll help!"

Winter_Wolf
2016-04-06, 10:19 AM
Based on what I know of people who want promotions, it's about money, power, and/or prestige. Player characters already have all that, and without the baggage of having to shepherd nobody npcs. Having been in a supervisory position, I can tell you I was only in it for the money, and the money wasn't good enough to put up with all the BS that falls on your shoulders.

If they're not already, you could "promote" them as a group, some kind of elite squad. They still might say no, honestly. Being a master in an adventurers' guild is like being first among equals: someone is fixing to stab you in the back. Even if they're really not. It's stressful, it's irritating, and having to deal with the "paperwork" administrative aspects takes time away from the things you like doing.