PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Looking for hilarious RP suggestions for Disguise Kit and Disguise Self

DiceDiceBaby
2016-04-06, 03:37 AM
Hey, all!

I'm running a level 2 Bard in a friend's campaign, and this one is a Neutral-Good reformed hedonist who still gets a good kick out of pulling harmless pranks and making people laugh. He's also a bit traumatized, so he copes with being serious by being a bit flamboyant.

For this, I picked up proficiency in the Disguise Kit (which I have) and the Disguise Self spell.

That said, we're going to have another round soon, and I want to be able to do something cool, funny, or flashy with these effects.

The setting is a lumberjack village where spellcasters are looked upon with suspicion and I'm investigating some mysterious circumstances here with another caster (a Wizard). I don't want to risk getting caught casting spells or using magic, so I thought about just using the Disguise Kit for the fun times, but I also want ideas for later on.

In fact, I want this to be the Bard's gimmick; he travels from place to place and changes his appearance often to help him cope with his immortality (he's traumatized by the fact that he gets to live longer than his friends and lovers).

So, any ideas? This is more for fun/RP purposes rather than any practical use. Sharing experiences would be appreciated, too! :smallwink:

Oramac
2016-04-06, 09:45 AM
I don't know about disguise's, as I don't typically play that kind of character (though I like the idea).

For the magic thing, I thought of a meme (that I can't freakin find right now) about how people get their magic.

Bard - "I was making fun of the goblin and, I don't know, he just kinda.....died"

DiceDiceBaby
2016-04-07, 07:54 PM
I don't know about disguise's, as I don't typically play that kind of character (though I like the idea).

For the magic thing, I thought of a meme (that I can't freakin find right now) about how people get their magic.

Bard - "I was making fun of the goblin and, I don't know, he just kinda.....died"

I appreciate the feedback! Thanks for reminding me of that meme. :)

Well, I guess I could dress up as the Village Elder for the heck of it and scare people at night to give him a bad name, or make myself look exactly like my Wizard partymate to taunt him or confuse enemies.

Maybe I shouldn't be depressed by the lack of ideas. I forget that these forums are more or less about optimizing spells and arguing about the metaphysical nature of Minor Illusion. I suppose such utility spells and using them for *gasp* fun would be trivial to most players who concern themselves with massive damage output or finding ways to have their DMs bend the rules. Sigh.

arrowstorm
2016-04-07, 08:30 PM
Step 1: Talk to the DM about this plan
Step 2: consistently use disguises to "have a new character" every session
Step 3: slowly drop hints such as knowing things you couldn't know, referring to your disguised self as I rather than Tim or whatever

Have Fun!

Specter
2016-04-08, 08:23 AM
This requires a bit of coordination with the DM, but it's good to screw with other PC's.

When in a social place (tavern/spring celebration/whatever), create a codeword with your DM, like 'going for a walk' or 'out for some air', and then leave.
After that, a gorgeous woman shows up, and engages the other PCs in conversation. After a while, she gives special attention to a male PC, saying he reminds her of her long lost love, or something. She will find an excuse for them to be alone (which most players quickly grab, since she's stunning).

Then, at the heat of the moment, cancel your Disguise Self and laugh in their face as they get mad.

JeffreyGator
2016-04-08, 04:51 PM
Make sure it will be fun for everyone or isn't over done before you start rolling against other players ever.

OMG though, you are at lumberjack camp and you're a bard with a disguise kit and you're wondering how to use it humorously? Are you sure that you're OK?

Be prepared for whatever the DM or other player sends back. maybe you're still pretty cute 18 charisma elf after you drop the disguise anyway....

last session the monk got a natural 20 stealth check and gave my bard raccoon eyes and whiskers which was not noticed until I was out gathering information and had disadvantage and then rolled a 1 and something unimportant. 9 sorry the townsfolk are too busy screaming in fright....

Sepok
2016-04-08, 05:16 PM
I had recent used Disguise Self to play a prank on another character. I was the group's tank (Barbarian5/Warlock2), and I have played pranks on our party's halfling bard a few times before. When I trained up and got Warlock 2 I choose the at-will Disguise Self. A few months before we had fought an evil cleric who gave is a very hard time (damn "Spiritual Guardians" spell). One evening while we were in town I took his appearance and waited in the halfling's room at the inn. When he came in, I shut the door and blocked it and said "Hello again little one...when you kill someone you should make sure that they stay dead!"

The halfling dove through the 3rd floor window to get away. And I mean through the window. He lost about half his hp's from the glass and the fall (he has no CON bonus) and ran away to hide. Then he used the MESSAGE cantrip to contact the party for help. The DM asked him who he was contacting, he picked ME (the tank) . So I dropped the illusion(so the other party members would not see the "evil cleric"), went outside, put the illusion back up and then followed his directions too him. While he kept messaging me..."He's found me...I'm moving to the trees behind the inn" etc. The DM was in on it and was playing the villain ... I was doing the "come out, come out wherever you are" schtick. When the "evil cleric" was just about "find" him, I dropped the illusion and laughed at him.

I later used Disguise Self to help my tanking. I'd take the appearance of one of the other party members so monsters would not know who to attack.

Hrugner
2016-04-08, 05:41 PM
He could be fascinated by mortality and hold funerals for old disguises and refer to past identities as old friends that have since died. His old hedonist habits should obviously be under an old name and remembered as a good friend in his youth. Also, his disguises should tend to be foreigners so he can safely be wrong with a good excuse, being the backward foreigner who practices an unconventional method of lumberjackery could be entertaining. Throw in lots of awkward, "So, is it true what they say about (local)lumberjacks" type comments and just never explain what you mean.

Iguanodon
2016-04-08, 07:06 PM
Single out an NPC in town to mess with.
Disguise yourself as them.
Go around town casting Friends on people.
Remove your disguise.
Everyone thinks that NPC is a caster.
While everyone's out forming a mob, steal from their houses.

Madbox
2016-04-09, 01:49 AM
It doesn't take much to completely throw people off with disguises. For example, start out disguised as someone very young. Make sure you are clean shaven, and put on some makeup to hide crows feet and add rosiness to your cheeks. Do something ridiculous. Slip away, wipe off the makeup. Now add some white powder like flour or talc to your hair to make it look grey, make your face pale, add a scar on the cheek, and eyeshadow for bags under the eyes. Bam! Totally different person after about 30 seconds.

To really throw people, after that hide somewhere and wash off the makeup, slap on a fake mustache, and act normal.