PDA

View Full Version : I like wearing my coat

gooddragon1
2016-04-06, 10:31 AM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Ninja_Prawn
2016-04-06, 10:35 AM
Even in weather up to but not exceeding 80 degrees Fahrenheit. I like that it has a lot of pockets among other things. Am I wrong to do this? Does anyone else do this?

Just curious.

I always have a coat with me, mostly because of the pockets (and the fact it rains all the time here), but it's usually stuffed in the bottom of my bag in the summer months. I have always felt that I was in the minority in this; most people seem to avoid overcoats whenever they can.

Donnadogsoth
2016-04-06, 10:35 AM
Even in weather up to but not exceeding 80 degrees Fahrenheit. I like that it has a lot of pockets among other things. Am I wrong to do this? Does anyone else do this?

Just curious.

No, but I like wearing my hat.

gooddragon1
2016-04-06, 10:40 AM
I always have a coat with me, mostly because of the pockets (and the fact it rains all the time here), but it's usually stuffed in the bottom of my bag in the summer months. I have always felt that I was in the minority in this; most people seem to avoid overcoats whenever they can.

Mine's a bit too bulky to stuff in a bag. I'm not the most strapping specimen either and it gets cold in buildings when they have the air conditioning going. That and it's like an emotional safety blanket for me. One which I've had for a long time.

blunk
2016-04-06, 01:25 PM
it's like an emotional safety blanketExactly what I was going to say about the (light) jacket I'm wearing right now.

Knaight
2016-04-06, 05:01 PM
My heat resistance is not what it used to be, so I generally avoid having coats in the summer, unless it's a rainy day (we get cold rain even in the summer).

TechnOkami
2016-04-06, 05:43 PM
I like wearing my greek fisherman's hat. Ees nice.

I like the idea of having a coat or something I just wear everywhere, but besides the hat it would probably be my shorts, because while I love trench coats and my duster, they're just too damn hot. XD

TheThan
2016-04-06, 08:10 PM
I live in an area with a lot of Latinos. One of the interesting quirks I’ve noticed is that when the temperature drops below 70 degrees Fahrenheit, many of them bundle up like it’s snowing. So it could be a beautiful spring day, 65 degrees, sunny, with a slight breeze and not a cloud in the sky and people would be bundled up in coats and scarves.

I’m not being racist, I’m just observing an interesting behavioral pattern.

Spanish_Paladin
2016-04-06, 08:17 PM
I almost always wear my leather jacket

Anteros
2016-04-07, 12:22 AM
I don't know if you can call it "wrong" but it's definitely socially unacceptable and people will think you're strange.

In a perfect world no one would care, but we don't live in such a place.

factotum
2016-04-07, 02:42 AM
I generally carry the only things vital to me (wallet, keys and change) in my trouser pockets specifically so I don't have to wear a coat in summer. If I'm out on a warm day and it looks like there's a chance of rain I'll carry an umbrella (there's one in the glove compartment of my car for this reason). I find any temperature above about 20C (68F for our American friends) beginning to get uncomfortably warm at the best of times, so it would be some private version of Hell if I also wore a coat in those temperatures.

ThinkMinty
2016-04-07, 03:43 AM
I wear long sleeves pretty much any time I leave my house to avoid needless questions about a moderately gruesome pair of arm scars. I dunno if that counts or not.

Bobblit
2016-04-07, 04:28 AM
I like wearing coats a lot too! They have handy pockets and, if they're long coats, make you feel like an adventurer or something. (It's a pity that capes are no longer in fashon, because they would be even cooler. Cooler and warmer at the same time :smallbiggrin:) I wear my coat until it gets too hot for it, but I am more heat resistant than cold resistant, so there have been times when everyone else was already walking around in short sleeves and I was still wearing a coat. xD

I live in an area with a lot of Latinos. One of the interesting quirks I’ve noticed is that when the temperature drops below 70 degrees Fahrenheit, many of them bundle up like it’s snowing. So it could be a beautiful spring day, 65 degrees, sunny, with a slight breeze and not a cloud in the sky and people would be bundled up in coats and scarves.

Dude, 65 degrees (~18ºC, right?) is freezing :smalltongue:

(Okay, that was a joke, but where I grew up it rarely gets below 10ºC (~50ºF), so to me those are winterly temperatures.)

AdmiralCheez
2016-04-07, 11:03 AM

At work, when some of our West Coast California counterparts visited our New Jersey office during summer, it was a nice day, about 70F. We were all in shorts and T-shirts, and they came in winter gear. Coats, hats, mittens, they were freezing. I shudder to think how badly they'd react if they encountered a snowflake.

I mean, I don't even consider switching to long pants unless it gets near 50.

Blackhawk748
2016-04-07, 11:29 AM
I wear a coat alot, though i switch to my leather jacket when it gets to 55-ish

BWR
2016-04-07, 11:51 AM

Just curious.

Wrong? No.
I just have one question:
How can you stand to wear a coat in those sorts of temperatures?
I'd be dying of heat stroke.

Sgt. Suitable
2016-04-07, 12:06 PM
I like wearing your coat too :smallwink:

tomandtish
2016-04-07, 01:26 PM
Wrong? No.

I second this. Of course, I'm comfortable in shorts and a tee-shirt down to 30.

Unfortunately I live in Texas, so I start suffering about ... now, and will suffer through October.

Yuki Akuma
2016-04-07, 01:52 PM
I also wear a coat whenever possible. I specifically have a thin jacket that doesn't get too hot for the approximately week-long summer we get in the UK though.

I love having pockets. Pockets are the best.

Morbis Meh
2016-04-07, 02:15 PM
...I hail from the frozen wasteland known as Canada and 10 C is glorious... *stares outside to the -4 weather in April and sheds a tear* on the subject of coats I always bring one and come spring I usually just wear hoodies. Though considering winter is around 6 months here I get to wear my sweet wool coat for a considerable amount of time.

Bohandas
2016-04-07, 03:06 PM
I always have a coat with me, mostly because of the pockets

Extra pockets are always good. That's a good point. That's why I only ever wear cargo pants.

gooddragon1
2016-04-08, 02:00 AM

I second this. Of course, I'm comfortable in shorts and a tee-shirt down to 30.

Unfortunately I live in Texas, so I start suffering about ... now, and will suffer through October.

To answer this question:

When the DM is describing how the fort is being run by a skeleton crew and he doesn't mean undead but he doesn't also mean they're understaffed...

I love having pockets. Pockets are the best.

If batman would give me his utility belt, I might have one less reason to wear a coat. Or more? It's a really good utility belt...

Prince Zahn
2016-04-08, 05:59 PM
I love wearing coats, on some cold nights I sleep with my rain coat, the combined warmth and insulation of a diadora raincoat and fleece PJs is a force to be reckoned with.

I really enjoy jackets too, as well as anything with long sleeves, for that matter. Every pocket I have on it is gravy, especially if there are pockets on the inside:smallbiggrin:

I like sweaters and sweatshirts a bit less, A because I hardly find good pockets on my sweaters and B because taking them on or off messes up my hair :\ but still I'll take it over no sleeves if I can.

Walking around like that in the summer heat is not an issue if I drink a lot of water. Which I advise to everybody who reads this. The comfy sleeves are a worthwhile trade as long as I'm not doing manual labor or exercising.

Aedilred
2016-04-09, 12:13 PM
I pretty much always wear a jacket (well, when outside, at least). Coats I mainly reserve for cold or (in the case of raincoats) wet weather, as otherwise I get very hot and uncomfortable quite quickly. Wearing a jacket is roughly equal parts availability of pockets and only feeling like a human being when I'm wearing one. That said in recent years I've started cutting down on my pocket cargo, because the added weight is annoying and too much of it spoils the line of the jacket. These days I limit it to wallet and keys (always) and (usually) diary, pen and phone, plus any small change I accrue, although I empty that whenever I remember.

I wear jumpers depending on temperature, although really thick ones I only wear around the house, as they don't tend to fit under jackets all that nicely.

Scarlet Knight
2016-04-09, 09:41 PM
If I see someone wearing a coat in close to 80 degree temperature, especially with lots of pockets, I assume he's a thief.

Tiffanie Lirle
2016-04-10, 10:48 AM
Not to judge, but I always tend to find that people who wear coats/jackets in the blazing summer are weird. :smallconfused:

Because most of the time these people tend to be really socially awkward and heck even ashamed of their own body image. Abnormally so. I get that not everyone is comfortable running around in just a shirt and that's okay. But do you really have to wear your down jacket at 40C? Just put on an extra button up or a hoodie or something.

Not trying to make myself any enemes, it's just how I perceive it.

neriractor
2016-04-10, 11:15 AM

That's not racist, at least in the place I Live 70 degrees Fahrenheit is way below a comfortable temperature, is like hot chocolate and blankets cold.

Aedilred
2016-04-10, 11:45 AM
Not to judge, but I always tend to find that people who wear coats/jackets in the blazing summer are weird. :smallconfused:

Because most of the time these people tend to be really socially awkward and heck even ashamed of their own body image. Abnormally so. I get that not everyone is comfortable running around in just a shirt and that's okay. But do you really have to wear your down jacket at 40C? Just put on an extra button up or a hoodie or something.

Not trying to make myself any enemes, it's just how I perceive it.

It never gets up to 40C here, so it's never too hot to wear a sufficiently light jacket, although I think a decent linen suit would serve in almost all temperatures, certainly once you acclimatise. A hundred years ago a three-piece suit was de rigueur across much of the world's surface, even in the tropics, after all. It's not a body image thing, either, as I've come to wear more "concealing" clothes - long sleeves almost exclusively, for instance - as I've got older and more comfortable with my body. It's about what I want to wear, how I want to present myself, and, for want of a better word, style, rather than discomfort at my own appearance and trying to hide it away.

As I indicate, though, I do tailor my wardrobe to the prevailing conditions. I wouldn't wear a warm coat in summer (unless it was unseasonably cold) and I wouldn't wear a linen suit in winter.

A hat I will cop to being partly body image, although as I've come to wear one all the time outside I've also come to wonder how I coped in the summer without one.

Knaight
2016-04-10, 12:33 PM
That's not racist, at least in the place I Live 70 degrees Fahrenheit is way below a comfortable temperature, is like hot chocolate and blankets cold.

This is one of those regional things. I live in an area with high variability, and so you get people who view 70 F as a reason to bundle up and hope it gains another 20 degrees, and then you have people like me who view 70 F as a good 15 degrees hotter than ideal T shirt weather.

gooddragon1
2016-04-10, 12:43 PM
This is one of those regional things. I live in an area with high variability, and so you get people who view 70 F as a reason to bundle up and hope it gains another 20 degrees, and then you have people like me who view 70 F as a good 15 degrees hotter than ideal T shirt weather.

I'm a reasonable person... 80 degrees and I'll consider a T-shirt.

See, I have the living skeleton template. I get neither cold resistance nor heat resistance.

ThinkMinty
2016-04-10, 04:13 PM
Wrong? No.

I have things of varying levels of thickness for the different seasons. Summertime is the time of thin-ish hoodies.

Lettuce
2016-04-12, 11:54 AM
I stop wearing a coat as a coat as soon as I'm able to, because I turn into a pile of sweat with virtually no provocation. I'd be able to manage for longer if I was only going outside to go outside, but usually when I go outside I'm going TO somewhere, such as a store, and I don't have a place to put the coat when I'm inside again where the temperature is invariably much higher than it is outside. I DO miss the pockets, though--they're much more convenient and nicer than a purse, and harder to misplace.

In spring and autumn I often compromise with a light windbreaker tied around my waist. That way I still have the pockets, but my core is less covered and I overheat way less.

aurilee
2016-04-12, 12:18 PM
I live in Canada and I generally have to wear a coat (or at least a heavy sweater/hoodie) from about September until May, which leaves only 3 completely coat-less months. So I take the first opportunity I can to downgrade my protective gear. By March/April I move away from my winter coat to a spring coat, then by May I'm down to wearing sweaters/hoodies (or maybe just long sleeves). As soon as I can pull off short sleeves I do it. Basically I get so tired of wearing layers of clothes during the endless winter I'm itching to take off whatever I can. By July/August I'm wearing as little as I can get away with, just to make a point that it's finally summer and I want to make the most of it.

That being said I do like coats (I own half a dozen of them) and one of the reasons I really don't like winter is that my favourite coat is strictly a spring coat and I can't wear it. So I do end up sometimes wearing a coat that isn't weather-appropriate (in that it doesn't provide enough warmth). If you're not overheating and dying in your coat I don't really see a problem.

danzibr
2016-04-13, 05:21 PM
I sleep with a heavy blanket even when it's summer, and because of this I often sweat in my sleep.

Kislath
2016-04-14, 12:47 AM
I used to do that. I'd wear a coat all summer, up until about 6th grade.
Hmmm... not sure why, now that I think about it.

hustlertwo
2016-04-17, 01:12 AM
I wear my leather jacket for about half the year, for exactly the reason the OP mentioned. Pockets, man, the closest thing us dudes get to a purse. My jacket literally weighs between 8-10 pounds because of all the stuff I have in there, like a multitool, flashlight/stun gun, lots of change, pen, deck of cards, you name it. Used to have a toothbrush and toothpaste, even. I hate that I will have to put it away soon. Friggin' Georgia weather.

jmhguy
2016-04-19, 05:10 AM
the reason i like fall and winter is that i have more pockets so i understand.

SZbNAhL
2016-04-21, 09:34 AM
I wear my leather jacket for about half the year, for exactly the reason the OP mentioned. Pockets, man, the closest thing us dudes get to a purse. My jacket literally weighs between 8-10 pounds because of all the stuff I have in there, like a multitool, flashlight/stun gun, lots of change, pen, deck of cards, you name it. Used to have a toothbrush and toothpaste, even. I hate that I will have to put it away soon. Friggin' Georgia weather.

And I thought I was bad with my 5-pound "coat of holding". It's also pretty useful as protection from the sun and stray branches (good for pale people who like hiking) and barely an inconvenience with the glorious British weather never getting above about 16°.

Aniikinis
2016-04-21, 11:46 AM
Like 90% of the time I have either my hoodie or a light jacket on, not in the summer months usually though. Although, I my elementary and middle school years I wore my hoodie like 24/7 no matter the weather.

hustlertwo
2016-04-29, 05:35 AM
And I thought I was bad with my 5-pound "coat of holding". It's also pretty useful as protection from the sun and stray branches (good for pale people who like hiking) and barely an inconvenience with the glorious British weather never getting above about 16°.

Nah, you're not bad. You're bold! Be bold and carry numerous, potentially unnecessary things in your coat. And I'm envious you never need to stop wearing it with a cooler climate.

TheThan
2016-05-03, 03:20 AM
At work, when some of our West Coast California counterparts visited our New Jersey office during summer, it was a nice day, about 70F. We were all in shorts and T-shirts, and they came in winter gear. Coats, hats, mittens, they were freezing. I shudder to think how badly they'd react if they encountered a snowflake.

I mean, I don't even consider switching to long pants unless it gets near 50.

Hehe, I’m not surprised, but it depends on where exactly your from. I grew up in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, so I’m Ok with both hot and cold extremes; well as far as California gets for cold (snow, but not too unbearable, we actually have ski resorts) extremes, but it can get very hot, in my town it can get up to 115, but it usually hovers around the 100-105 mark in the summer. I’ve literally been in 90 degree heat at 3AM. Out in the desert the temperature averages are much higher as are the highs and i think the lows oddly enough (yeah deserts can get cold). Over on the coast it doesn’t fluctuate that much and they do have nice sea breeze to keep the temperature down.

As for the pocket thing, I solved that problem with cargo pants/shorts since it’s too hot for a jacket and I dislike jeans anyway, I sorta have to default to them but that’s ok I like it. They come in handy when you find yourself needing alot of stuff.

gooddragon1
2016-05-09, 01:51 PM
Had a conversation (of a sort) about wearing a summer coat over text. It went somewhat as follows:
"Maybe you should get a summer coat."
http://markwoodexplorer.com/images/2011/05/arctic-survival-1.jpg?
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/gooddragon1/IMG_4777_zpsg7qb026d.pnghttp://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/gooddragon1/IMG_4776_zpsdr4dckfg.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/12/Buzz_Aldrin_Apollo_Spacesuit.jpg?
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/gooddragon1/IMG954778_zps6h2vxg6a.jpg
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18ljihoa5qkgljpg/original.jpghttp://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18ljij3kx3w5fjpg/original.jpghttp://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18ljiifwkzgqhjpg/original.jpg?
Their Response: :smallbiggrin:

Not actually me in the last set of pictures. However, it does provide adequate pocket space (I think), an emotional safety blanket, and protection against inclement weather as well as tyranids and bolter fire.

Liquor Box
2016-05-10, 08:22 PM
I am the opposite of many people in this thread - rather than bearing the heat to wear more clothes, I typically bear the cold to wear fewer.

Where I come from the daytime temperature is nice and moderate - probably just over 20c in summer and just over 10c in winter, on an average day. For me its T-Shirts all the way through spring, summer and autumn and a hoodie on top in winter. I almost never wear a coat or a jacket (other than a suit jacket). My pockets are in my shorts/pants.

Vizzerdrix
2016-05-10, 08:29 PM
I like wearing your coat too:smallwink: