PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder What do these stats look like?

Zhentarim
2016-04-06, 10:37 AM
CG Dual-Talented Human Wizard
14 str
14 dex
14 con
13+2=15 int
14 Wis
12+2=14 cha

I'm thinking of saying Jack Trader was a jack of all trades who, prior to adventuring to learn new spells, worked as an entertainer and stage magician in a small village for pocket change.

What is the best school for this wizard that may engage in some melee but who is the out of party diplomat, as well?

Also, what is the best way to play these stats?

Gildedragon
2016-04-06, 10:53 AM
Well he's extraordinary in every sense but he isn't brilliant at anything.
the backstory seems good

Elder_Basilisk
2016-04-06, 11:03 AM
Best combat/spellcasting roles as single class: Buffing, battlefield control, summoning. Potential specialties: Conjuration (pick up face skills as class skills via a trait), Enchanter (not ideal but enchantment has a few buff spells like heroism and gives face skills as class skills), divination (works for everyone), transmutation (the stat line would be pretty good for polymorphing and kicking ass, and transmutation has a lot of good buffs, battlefield control, etc available to it as well).

Other potential combat role: multiclassed fighter/wizard/eldritch Knight/hellknight. (Would probably require alignment change). Specialty: Transmutation.

As far as the character, the backstory sounds workable.

My view of those stats is that he's the backup/second team athlete who never makes Dean's list or first team, but gets all conference scholar athlete every year. He's got good physical skills but isn't competitive with the best guys. He's smart, but he's not competitive with the smartest guys. If he's successful in physical competition, it's because he is disciplined and always competes smart and that enables him to punch above his weight.

Zhentarim
2016-04-06, 08:00 PM
What about opposition schools?

Amphetryon
2016-04-06, 08:04 PM
Necromancy and Evocation are reasonable Opposition Schools for your proposed background. The diplomat/entertainer angle hints at Enchantment being useful.

Gildedragon
2016-04-06, 08:34 PM
Jack of all Trades
Either Illusion or Transmutation for specialty; probably illusion.
forbidden schools... definitively evocation, maybe necromancy or I could see them ditching abjuration or conjuration

Maybe Changeling Wizard with the Illusion Mastery variant?

Zhentarim
2016-04-06, 09:30 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NLoIQoz0kmY
Sardonyx was my inspiration

Gildedragon
2016-04-06, 09:32 PM
Maybe a bard would be fitting

Elder_Basilisk
2016-04-06, 10:44 PM
What about opposition schools?

Depends on the role and specialty you take.
*Evocation has a lot of save dependent effects so dropping it makes sense. But there are a few no-save spells you might find useful to use a lot: magic missile, scorching ray, wall of fire, wall of force, and contingency (which is worth paying two spell slots to use).
*Enchantment is mostly save or suck spells so dropping it makes sense if you don't specialize in it to get the face skills you want. By level 8 or so, it might be worth paying the two spell slots to get heroism; you can live without almost everything else.
*Necromancy has some pretty useful spells. False life is very handy if you go for the eldritch knight or the polymorphing transmuter route. Enervation is one of the better no-save spells, and waves of fatigue/exhaustion can be nice too. But you can make do without most of them.
*Illusion has a few great spells--most notably greater invisibility and mirror image, but a lot of the spells are situational and you can live without them. And depending upon the role you play in combat, blink might actually be better for you than greater invisibility anyway. (The eldritch Knight or polymorpher can afford to deal with the 20% miss chance, and will appreciate the attack bonus, and defense against area spells)
*Divination is an option though not a great one. You'd miss detect magic, identify, true strike, see invisibility, true seeing, and foresight.

Other schools:
Abjuration is really hard to drop. Shield, protection from evil, resist energy, dispel magic, stoneskin, greater dispel magic are likely to be key parts of your strategy.
Conjuration is also really hard to drop. A lot of the no-save battlefield control spells and summon monster live there along with mage armor, dimension door, and teleport.
Transmutation is also very hard to drop. Key no save buff spells like enlarge person, fly, greater magic weapon, haste, etc live in transmutation and so does the entire category of polymorph spells which would take advantage of your good physical stats.

Feat/Contribution choices:
*Point Blank and Precise shot--ray spells: You'll want both evocation and necromancy for scorching ray and enervation which are bread and butter spells for this kind of build. That would leave you with enchantment and illusion banned.
*Polymorphing monster or eldritch knight: You can live without any of them, but evocation and enchantment are probably the least important. (You can pay the extra slot for contingency and heroism).
*Summoner (with augment summoning, etc): it really doesn't matter. You can use snowball for low level touch attack offense when summoned monsters won't cut it. Evocation or illusion and enchantment banned.

Since you can fairly easily afford the feats for at least two of these approaches, it probably comes down to whether you specialized in enchantment or got the class skills some other way and whether you think scorching ray/wall of force, false life/enervation, heroism, or greater invisibility/mirror image is easiest to live without.

Zhentarim
2016-04-08, 11:17 AM
Hmmm...

I am definately going Human Transmutation (Enhancement) Wizard. Opposition wise, based on suggestions here, I think Enchantment and Illusion. Backstory-wise, my guy, based on sardonyx, is really midway between a bard and a wizard. I haven't seen that hybrid class yet, though.

dps
2016-04-08, 11:23 AM
Maybe a bard would be fitting

The backstory practically screams bard, doesn't it? But mechanically, there are probably better choices that still fit the backstory.

Gildedragon
2016-04-08, 11:37 AM
Hmmm...

I am definately going Human Transmutation (Enhancement) Wizard. Opposition wise, based on suggestions here, I think Enchantment and Illusion. Backstory-wise, my guy, based on sardonyx, is really midway between a bard and a wizard. I haven't seen that hybrid class yet, though.

There is the "Prestige Bard"
It does need a 1 dip into a full BAB or delay entry by one level.

Zhentarim
2016-04-08, 01:29 PM
There is the "Prestige Bard"
It does need a 1 dip into a full BAB or delay entry by one level.

I'll need to look into that