PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Flesh Golem PC: Have I created a Monster?

Comica
2016-04-06, 03:06 PM
So, I made myself a mid-level Flesh Golem PC (adapting a 3e supplement "Savage Species" into 3.5).
His name is "Bloody Stupid Johnson". While I haven't started playing as him yet, he's looking to be pretty ridiculous.

I guess a few bits of data should help paint the picture. Here's his max stats (not including additional Magic Items/Equipment):

Level 15 Flesh Golem/5 Barbarian
(True Neutral)
STR: 38
CON: -
DEX: 16
INT: 7
WIS: 14
CHA: 1

HP: 180 (9d10+30; 5d12)
BAB: +11/+6/+1
Saves: Fort+7/Ref+4/Will+4
Large size, 10ft. reach.
AC: 21
Damage Resistance: 5/Adamantine
Equipment: +6 Belt of Giant Strength
Two +2 Shocking Burst 3d8 Slam attacks
Nice pair of pants (No effect)

Construct and Golem Immunities:

Mind-affecting effects
Nonlethal damage
Poison, Disease, etc.
Death by Massive Damage
Critical Hits
Fatigue/Exhaustion
Any Fortitude-save effect that doesn't affect objects
Acid/Cold/Electric/Fire/Sonic damage
ALL SPELLS, SPELL-LIKE ABILITIES, AND SUPERNATURAL ABILITIES

Other Features:
Energy Vulnerability: Cold/Fire energy affects as the Slow spell. Electricity attacks heals 1/3 the potential damage, and dispels the Fire/Cold Slowing.
Berserk: Cumulative 1% chance to rampage, attacking the nearest creature or object within sight until none remain, or an ally within 60ft. succeeds a DC 19 Charisma check that can be re-attempted every round if failed. It takes 1 full minute of rest to reset the berserk chance to 0%
A flesh golem can heal naturally with rest, unlike other constructs.
At 0 HP, the construct is immediately destroyed. It can be revived via Limited Wish (injuring a -1 level on the Golem), Wish, or Miracle.

Illiteracy: No reading or writing unless 2 skill points are spent.
Fast Movement: +10 walking speed
Rage 2/day (+4 Str, +2 Will, -2 AC for 3 rounds)
Uncanny Dodge: add Dex Mod to AC
-Improved: Immune to being Flanked
Trap Sense 1: +1 Ref and +1 dodge AC vs Traps.

Feats:
Improved Natural Attack (Slams)
Power Attack
Improved Bull Rush
Weapon Focus (Slams)
Power Critical (Slams)

Is this as terribly broken as I think it is?

Gildedragon
2016-04-06, 03:19 PM
For level 20. Nah. Early on the resistances may be a problem BUT when you lower them to get healed or buffed... Well there are a number of spells that will KO you (low will, abysmal Cha)
Also fancy pants do have an effect: make them glammerweave for a diplomacy bonus, or dolweave for an Intimidate one

Also a cleric with the warforged domain can turn you

Vulnerable to simply being taken control of if you fail a DC 23 Will save

icefractal
2016-04-06, 03:22 PM
Not for 20th level. In fact, you may have some problems since you can't be buffed / can't be buffed without turning your defense off, depending on whether golem magic immunity is something that can be lowered.

Since you can't use the Con boost anyway, I'd recommend the Whirling Frenzy ACF for Barbarian.

Flickerdart
2016-04-06, 03:26 PM
Is this as terribly broken as I think it is?
No, it's just terrible.

With AC 21, you're practically defenseless. That modest 180hp is butter against the enemies you will face at your level. Consider the pit fiend: while Power Attacking for 8, he misses only on a 1, and deals 123 damage per round even after your DR.

Your magic immunity doesn't work like that - in 3.5 it's only infinite spell resistance. Supernatural abilities and SR:No effects eat you for breakfast, especially with your crap saves (basically those of a level 1 character). Guess what has SR though? A bunch of buff spells. So your party's mages now can't help you not suck.

Your attacks are depressing. That's what, +27 to hit and 3d8+1d6+14 damage twice per round? Your Power Attack is useless because your accuracy is so low. Let's take the pit fiend above - you need a 13 or better to hit, and even if both of your attacks hit, you deal 62 damage...reduced by his DR twice, so 32. It will take 8 turns to pound through his HP, and he eats 2/3 of yours every round.

Zancloufer
2016-04-06, 03:27 PM
Okay a few things first:

1) What level is he EXACTLY? At the top it seems he is level 20, by BaB he appears to be level 16, HD 14, and his saving throws/feats would indicate as low as level 8! So right off the bat your stats are just wrong. What level is he exactly in both golem HD and Barbarian levels.

2) How did you get complete elemental immunity and immunity to ALL SUPERNATURAL EFFECTS? By default a Golem has no immunity to elemental attacks at all though elemental attacks do work differently (as you stated later). I will say this: You are NOT immune AT ALL to any Supernatural effect. Golem's magic immunity is actually just infinite SR(PR) so it doesn't stop ANY supernatural effect, and even some spells and SLAs ignore it.

On the power level: If your character level is only around ECL ~8 your not a terribly bad bruiser.

DrMotives
2016-04-06, 03:34 PM
You also aren't immune to mind-affecting effects. That's a perk of having no intelligence, not a flesh golem perk. Since you raised your intelligence to 7 (not sure how you did that, but there certainly are ways) you lose the immunity to mind effects.

icefractal
2016-04-06, 04:46 PM
You also aren't immune to mind-affecting effects. That's a perk of having no intelligence, not a flesh golem perk. Since you raised your intelligence to 7 (not sure how you did that, but there certainly are ways) you lose the immunity to mind effects.Constructs are immune to mind-affecting effects, even intelligent ones. Same thing with undead. See Types and Subtypes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#constructType).

1) What level is he EXACTLY? At the top it seems he is level 20, by BaB he appears to be level 16, HD 14, and his saving throws/feats would indicate as low as level 8! So right off the bat your stats are just wrong. What level is he exactly in both golem HD and Barbarian levels.ECL 20, 14 HD (9 construct HD, 5 Barbarian levels). I think the save values listed there are base saves, not including stat bonus.

Comica
2016-04-07, 09:14 AM
Thank you all for the advice!

I will note that I hadn't included any real armor or shields, nor any potential magic items that'd help (Cloak of Resistance, I'm looking at you). Also, I don't actually know what level our DM is starting us at (I'm assuming 8-10), so I built him around that knowledge, not level 20 knowledge.

So, I did decide to play something similar that, while it doesn't have some of the perks I was hoping for, it also has better natural stats overall: Ogre Barbarian.

Comica
2016-04-07, 09:15 AM
Okay a few things first:

1) What level is he EXACTLY? At the top it seems he is level 20, by BaB he appears to be level 16, HD 14, and his saving throws/feats would indicate as low as level 8! So right off the bat your stats are just wrong. What level is he exactly in both golem HD and Barbarian levels.

2) How did you get complete elemental immunity and immunity to ALL SUPERNATURAL EFFECTS? By default a Golem has no immunity to elemental attacks at all though elemental attacks do work differently (as you stated later). I will say this: You are NOT immune AT ALL to any Supernatural effect. Golem's magic immunity is actually just infinite SR(PR) so it doesn't stop ANY supernatural effect, and even some spells and SLAs ignore it.

On the power level: If your character level is only around ECL ~8 your not a terribly bad bruiser.

I don't know when, but I was assuming roughly mid level (8-10)

Starkeeper
2016-04-07, 09:49 AM
15 levels of Flesh Golem and 5 levels of Barbarian puts this as a level 20 character, not an 8-10 one.

Necroticplague
2016-04-07, 11:15 AM
Broken in which direction? This honestly seems rather weak. It has the AC of a level 2 character, saves of a level 5 character, the hp, damage, and accuracy more appropriate for a level 10 character, no way of dealing with incorporeal, flying, or invisible foes, absolutely nothing that's much use outside of combat ( unless you count "barbarian trapfinding"). The immunity list is nice but a: I highly doubt those last two, based on way I know about golems (aren't immune to all energy damage like tht, only immune to magic tht allows SR); b: the rest can be gotten with a one level dip into ghost or a half level blown on necropolitan.

In summary: once you account for the changes o take into account its actual abilities, it would be slightly in the weak side as a 10th level character. As a level 20 character, its not that good.

Inevitability
2016-04-07, 01:49 PM
I suggest asking your DM if he assumes the golem's magic immunity is its own separate ability, or updated to fit the 3.5 rules. In 3.0, magic immunity was as you describe it: immunity to magic. In 3.5, it became 'merely' infinite spell resistance, which while still annoying is much easier to get around.

Flickerdart
2016-04-07, 01:52 PM
I don't know when, but I was assuming roughly mid level (8-10)
So why did you give yourself 20 HD?

Alistaroc
2016-04-07, 02:02 PM
Osclecamo's Flesh Golem (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=15809.msg278510#msg278510) Monster Class is great for making a Flesh Golem PC; I personally am fond of taking Meat Hook for the awesome battlefield control, Electrodes for the potentially nigh-permanent Haste, and System Specialization: Skin, to help tank up whomever you pull in.