PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Favorite Region in a Campaign Setting?

Palanan
2016-04-06, 03:27 PM
Occasionally there are threads about favorite campaign settings, but here I'm interested in what specific regions people like within those settings.

In Faerûn, I've always been fond of the region in and around the Silver Marches, since it's nicely detailed in the supplements, and yet there's also plenty of space to drop settlements or principalities where I want them.

In Golarion, I'm slowly beginning to like the River Kingdoms--a varied patchwork where a GM's own stories can take root, without having to conform to the national vibe of a larger region.

So, what regions are your favorites, and why?

Gildedragon
2016-04-06, 03:56 PM
In Eberron: Shawn
Planescape: Sigil
What can I say, I love cities

Krazzman
2016-04-06, 04:09 PM
In Faerun I really like Rashemen. Partly because they hate Thay and are barbaric, another part because I played a "loosely in rashemen" set campaign that never finished due to player dropout. But The players could play anything they wanted. (Snow-Elven Scout-Rogue/Ranger, Barbarian "Rage Prophet" as a protector of the Witch, a heavy armored Half-Snow-Elven Druid and an Half-Orc Samurai.) And everything made sense. They had a reason to be there, they had reasons to be adventuring, they had multiple different adversaries that made sense.... I miss that campaign.

In Golarion... don't know. Lastwall seems cool for people who like paladins. My wife certainly loves the Belkzen area (she's currently playing an Angel Born Aasimar (Orc descendant) Brawler//Nature Fang) and she will return there in character soon... I just hope I can get the feeling she expects there on point. But I myself... haven't have the chance to really check my Inner Sea Guide...

Thurbane
2016-04-06, 11:01 PM
Greyhawk: Furyondy, The Wild Coast, Veluna, Celene and The Pomarj area.

thorr-kan
2016-04-07, 12:07 AM
Midgard (Kobold Press) - Zobeck, The Margreve (old, haunted forest), and the Wasted West.

Coidzor
2016-04-07, 12:23 AM
Probably Eberron's Talenta Plains, because it's freaking halflings riding on dinosrawrs.

Inevitability
2016-04-07, 03:06 AM

Do you mean Sharn? I can understand that choice.

martixy
2016-04-07, 03:31 AM
Sigil, hands down.

I love the lore behind it all.
Granted, most of my exposure to Sigil in actual gameplay has been via Planescape: Torment(which is AD&D), but I absolutely adore the variety and weirdness.

KillingAScarab
2016-04-07, 03:59 AM
In Golarion... don't know. Lastwall seems cool for people who like paladins. My wife certainly loves the Belkzen area (she's currently playing an Angel Born Aasimar (Orc descendant) Brawler//Nature Fang) and she will return there in character soon... I just hope I can get the feeling she expects there on point. But I myself... haven't have the chance to really check my Inner Sea Guide...My favorite part of the Pathfinder Wiki is the geography portal (http://www.pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Portal:Geography). I haven't looked into Lastwall, yet, but I did start looking into the Hold of Belkzen for half-orc character ideas. There's a group there described as, "half-mad orc smiths and engineers," which sounds like fun.

I can't call any part my favorite, yet, but the part of Golarion I really want to get to know better is Vudra.

Gildedragon
2016-04-07, 07:33 AM

Damn autocorrect...
Alt: no, Shawn. Playing an "Incredible Journey" type thing where we've been shrunk and are exploring the body of Shawn the Warforged.

thorr-kan
2016-04-07, 08:41 AM
Forgot to mention Al-Qadim.

nyjastul69
2016-04-07, 09:14 AM
Greyhawk: Wooly Bay region.
Forgotten Realms: The Dale's.
Tellene: Reanaaria Bay region.

RedMage125
2016-04-07, 11:39 AM
Eberron: Karrnath, all the political intrigue is great, and the undertones of a military-minded country with a bent towards a cult-like religion that seems friendly, but has a nasty underside. (Sarlona's a close second)
Forgotten Realms: Myth Drannor, whether the demon-infested ruins with the damaged mythal or the shining city that the elves eventually rebuilt, it's a cool place.

Tiktakkat
2016-04-07, 12:08 PM
Greyhawk - the Sheldomar Valley, especially Keoland - because I've written so much about it.

Red Fel
2016-04-07, 12:40 PM

No, clearly he means any region where this guy can be found.

https://m.popkey.co/774c74/EJ58Q.gif

As for me, I'd say in Eberron, it would be Stormhome. First off, look at the images of that place - massive spires atop a narrow land-strip island, it looks more like a wall in the ocean than a country. Second, it's an island nation where a comfortable climate is maintained by magic. Third, House Lyrandar. (I like me some Mark of Storms.)

codyleaderbrand
2016-04-07, 02:16 PM
Eberron: I second Karrnath, there is a sizable amount of story to be made there. However, I'm also quite partial to the Mournland, it has enough already written about it without any conclusions that make it fun to play around with.

A_S
2016-04-07, 02:18 PM
Always had a soft spot for the Sword Coast. The Baldur's Gate games are probably to blame.

martixy
2016-04-07, 06:36 PM
Always had a soft spot for the Sword Coast. The Baldur's Gate games are probably to blame.
Just probably?

I once took half a year off to play through the entirety of all IE games. Yes, that's how long it took for one playthough of each.
I still remember that as the fondest experience in my gaming career to date, even now, many years later.

(While we're on the subject: If you ever want to play those games they way they were meant to be played, you must visit Spellhold Studios.)

Krobar
2016-04-07, 08:18 PM
I've always been partial to the Moonshae Isles in Faerun.

Âmesang
2016-04-07, 10:40 PM
Aside from the Domain of Greyhawk a chunk of my Flanaess knowledge is about the Sheldomar Valley (I set my character in Bissel as an homage to LIVING GREYHAWK™), with another chunk regarding the Amedio Jungle south of Jeklea Bay (The Shackled City Adventure Path) and I'm also interested in Blackmoor (both the region and the original setting it was derived from).

My geographical knowledge of the FORGOTTEN REALMS® and EBERRON™ is strictly limited, primarily to Waterdeep and Sharn, respectively.

Sian
2016-04-08, 05:45 AM
Forgotten Realms is the only published setting that I've played extensively in so... But my favorite places is those a bit out of the way ... favorite places are probably a close tie between the decadent has-beens of the tropical Chondathian city-states or the hardy Damaran tundra

Thurbane
2016-04-08, 05:46 AM
Greyhawk - the Sheldomar Valley, especially Keoland - because I've written so much about it.

I'd be very interested in reading this?

Jon_Dahl
2016-04-08, 05:55 AM

Keoland is my favorite region of my favorite campaign world. I see Keoland as a massive kingdom where the feudal system is well represented, mostly with its flaws. The baronies and marches and so forth are quirky, since a march can be relatively small and weak compared to a barony. I like the whole Suel vs. Oeridians struggle. The kingdom is full of fascinating things like the Dreadwood, which is ridiculously massive. I see the kingdom a little bit dysfunctional and oversized place with people with good intentions but not with a lot of means. The people in the capital have little idea what's happening in the rims of the Keoland. The fact that the kingdom used to be a place of great evil, the Kingdom of Vecna, just puts the icing on the cake.

Kol Korran
2016-04-09, 06:10 AM
I Love regions that have a conflict between civilization and savagery, which is why I love the following in Eberron:
- Droaam: A land of monsters, trying to be civilized. Gnoll enforcers, Orc and ogre builf force, Harpy and gargoyle sky patrol, Medusa architects and diplomats, and all of it led... By a trio of legendary hags? Yummy! I would love to really explore Graywall, a city of monsters, and the Great Crag itself, which sounds quite intriguing. (And all of that before we add the entire history of the region being a major war zone between the Dhakanni Empire and the Xoriat invasion!)
- Darguun: Where a hobgoblin warlord tries to establish a nation, from the remnants of old tribes, some savage ,some powerful, some ancient... A nation of war, trying to live in a time of peace... There were a few novels about it ("The Doom of Kings"), which touched nicely on it, but I think it would be fascinating to explore!
- Q'barra: I think it could hold a great potential- The idealists of the 5 nations of the last war, trying to build a new country, on the verge of the jungles, and the many clans of lizardfolk. I know less of it, but it is... Interesting...

Tiktakkat
2016-04-09, 02:45 PM
I'd be very interested in reading this?

I'd have to find a place to post it all or something.

If you played Living Greyhawk, a good number of them have background from what I set up.

Keoland is my favorite region of my favorite campaign world. I see Keoland as a massive kingdom where the feudal system is well represented, mostly with its flaws. The baronies and marches and so forth are quirky, since a march can be relatively small and weak compared to a barony. I like the whole Suel vs. Oeridians struggle. The kingdom is full of fascinating things like the Dreadwood, which is ridiculously massive. I see the kingdom a little bit dysfunctional and oversized place with people with good intentions but not with a lot of means. The people in the capital have little idea what's happening in the rims of the Keoland. The fact that the kingdom used to be a place of great evil, the Kingdom of Vecna, just puts the icing on the cake.

Yep.
Although trying to work all of that in is a task.
It also means you can run a dozen campaigns with completely different themes all set within the same area.

Jon_Dahl
2016-04-09, 03:09 PM
I'd have to find a place to post it all or something.

If you played Living Greyhawk, a good number of them have background from what I set up.

I'd be very interested to see this, although I haven't liked the way the storylines went in Living Greyhawk. They weren't in my style.

BWR
2016-04-09, 04:40 PM
Planescape: Elysium. Sigil is awesome and all but Elysium holds a special place in my heart.
Dragonlance: Solamnia. A country full of paladins. What's not to like? (apart from the dickish ones)
FR: eh, Thay or something
Mystara: tough one....Glantri, maybe. I could put most of the Known World+Alphatia this slot, and that's not even counting the lands we know of beyond that, never mind the Hollow World.
Ravenloft: the Nightmare Lands
Dark Sun: Tyr
Rokugan: (a bit of a cheat to count it in D&D settings, I know) Crab lands. I'm an unabashed Crab fanboy.

Tiktakkat
2016-04-09, 04:57 PM
I'd be very interested to see this, although I haven't liked the way the storylines went in Living Greyhawk. They weren't in my style.

The Hool Marsh plot line was mostly based on my concepts, as were some of the other earlier adventures.
Later on I had the idea for the final quartet City of Greyhawk.
So you can blame me for those. :)
You'd have to ask about other specific storylines for whether I was involved.

However, most of these essays are post-LG, and some of the plot concepts diverge significantly as I no longer had to hold back on my personal development preferences.

A friend of mine is setting up a FB group. Let me see what I can do from there.

Denomar
2016-04-09, 05:14 PM
Golarion: The entire inner sea region. Covers just about every trope you could imagine and a literal building block for a ton of stories. I think the inner sea might be my total favorite setting at all.

Krynn: Mount Nevermind. A dungeon delve is no where near as hazardous or hilarious as a foray into Mount Nevermind. This place is great if you want to get really creative in a mouse trap sense.

Forgotten Realms: Netheril. I think that adventuring through the ruins of the advanced empire to put all other advanced magical empires to shame is super cool. Forgotten Realms especially pushes towards people playing arcane casters and searching for the secrets of the Archwizards is great.

Greyhawk: The Isle of Dread. Today we go to punch out T-Rexes. Assuming the demon worshipping cannibals or the aboleths don't get you first.

Outer Planes: Union. The lady of pain kinda weirded me out, so I prefer Union as my interplanar neutral ground of choice.

Eberron: Aerenal. The court of the elves is hauntingly beautiful, and also haunted period. This is one of the neatest kingdoms I've seen.

Dark Sun: Anywhere that there's water.

Jon_Dahl
2016-04-10, 06:15 AM
The Hool Marsh plot line was mostly based on my concepts, as were some of the other earlier adventures.
Later on I had the idea for the final quartet City of Greyhawk.
So you can blame me for those. :)
You'd have to ask about other specific storylines for whether I was involved.

However, most of these essays are post-LG, and some of the plot concepts diverge significantly as I no longer had to hold back on my personal development preferences.

A friend of mine is setting up a FB group. Let me see what I can do from there.

Can I send you some questions via PM? They will be easy to answer, yes-no questions, with room for elaboration.

Tiktakkat
2016-04-10, 06:31 AM
Can I send you some questions via PM? They will be easy to answer, yes-no questions, with room for elaboration.

Sure, feel free.