PDA

View Full Version : Computer Good Robot (semi-permadeath shoot-em-up)

J-H
2016-04-06, 03:38 PM
Good Robot came out yesterday. It's on Steam (only) for $9.99.

The base engine was designed & coded by Shamus Young of the Twenty-Sided blog, who also wrote DM of the Rings (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=612). The game came to market as a collaboration between Shamus & Pyrodactyl, which is responsible for Unrest (a story RPG with no combat and no stat improvements).

You play a Good Robot. Your job is to shoot Bad Robots, of which there are many. Bad Robots try to kill you; that's how you know they are a Bad.

Weapon drops are mostly random, and the levels are procedurally generated. There's a certain amount of choice in where to go (zone ends will have multiple doors leading to different types of levels), and you can upgrade your robot as you go. If you blow up, you die, but if you own a Warranty, you can respawn. You can only have one Warranty at a time, and they can only be bought as specific vending machines that show up every few levels. The cash spent on warranties could (instead) be used on upgrades, repairs, or buying weapons instead of waiting for them to drop.

I've made it to Zone 2 (of 6 or 8) so far after about 3 hours and 5 or 6 dead robots. It's fun.

AdmiralCheez
2016-04-07, 09:24 AM
Played it a little bit last night. I don't typically get into this kind of game, but the genre's actually growing on me. I love the art, and the music's good, but I'm just not very good at it yet. Farthest I've gotten is the start of Chapter 1.