PDA

View Full Version : Best way to simulate an Artificer in a game with house rules

ZeHgS
2016-04-06, 05:10 PM
Hi guys. I'm playing with a DM who has a lot of houserules which completely changed the item creation system. Before I knew what these changes were I wanted to be an Artificer and he prohibited it, but once I saw them I realized there is no need to make an actual artificer anymore. So now I want something similar to a Wizard/Archivist/Mystic Theurge in order to try and simulate an artificer. Below are some of his relevant house rules:

- Use Magic Device no longer exists or is necessary. No class may emulate requirements
- Creating magic items no longer consumes XP
- Only 3 creation feats: Create 'continuous use' item, Create 'activation required' item, Create 'item with charges'
- Wands are extremely cheap: Spell level * Caster level * 5 per charge. (16500 for a Wand of Disintegrate vs its normal price of 49500)

How can I emulate an artificer using these rules? It's a level 15 game and it's an 80 point build (plus attributes from character advancement). He probably won't allow any early entry methods for the MT.

Is Wizard/Archivist/MT the best option? I don't like the flavor of the Fochlucan Lyrist or the Arcane Hierophant. I would prefer something as close to pure wizard or artificer as possible.

Thanks a lot!

Troacctid
2016-04-06, 05:27 PM
Honestly, straight Wizard is probably fine. You don't really need Cleric spells. On the other hand, straight Cleric might be even better if you can pick a race that doesn't sleep (like Warforged or Neraph), since then you could adventure in the day and craft through the night.

Chameleon would also work, since you get basically every spell ever.

Gildedragon
2016-04-06, 07:12 PM
Chamaleon is handy

A problem with artificer is -getting- the spells; pure cleric has de-facto more access to spells than the artificer; especially with Anyspell (and the Greater version)

A Sha'ir has very good spell access, and theurges well.

If you can't early access MT, then don't bother; you couldn't get in until level 7.

MisterKaws
2016-04-06, 08:05 PM
Why not StP Erudite? I think any fluff-oriented GM(I.e: any good GM) would let you have it, as long as you agree to nerf yourself so as to not overshadow the party.

ZeHgS
2016-04-07, 01:15 PM
Thanks a lot for the replies!

In the end I think I will play a wizard "wandmaker artificer" and just try to abuse the low price of wands and staves hahaha

noob
2016-04-07, 02:29 PM
Or abuse continuous boost items of all the cool boost spells?(maybe paragon surge and be an half elf and remove and put the item to have any spell at any moment thanks to the feat allowing to gain one spell)