PDA

View Full Version : Meta wands?

Chewychunga
2016-04-06, 05:12 PM
I saw the rule in the RC where wands and other items take the same amount of time to activate as the spell
So I was thinking maybe some quickened wands or empowered staffs
Was wondering what would be needed to craft these (other than basic craft wand) and how to calculate cost
Also would this work for like a quickened ring of magic missiles?
And what are spell lvl range for each
Wands lvl 0-1 with quickened? Or ?

DrMotives
2016-04-06, 05:26 PM
Wands, potions, scrolls, etc with metamagic works like normal, just you price the item with the adjusted level of the spell in question. So an wand of Empowered Cure Light Wounds is the same price as any other 3rd level spell wand, for example. Also, the cap on potions being only 3rd level spells means a metamagic potion's adjusted level has to be 3 or less.

DarkSoul
2016-04-06, 05:34 PM
The only quickened spells you could put in a wand under normal circumstances would be 0-level spells, because Quicken is +4 spell levels and the highest level spell you can put in a wand is 4. Probably not worth it.

Staves, on the other hand, could have quickened spells in them easily. To craft a staff with a quickened spell, you need to have the spell available to cast as a quickened spell every day you're crafting the staff. For prepared casters, this means preparing it as a quickened spell every day. For spontaneous casters you have to have the Quicken Spell feat, must know the spell you want to quicken, and must have an available spell slot of an appropriate level to cast the quickened spell.

Sahleb
2016-04-06, 05:48 PM
Where do you guys get the idea that you can add metamagic to scrolls? I've never read about that being possible anywhere.

Indeed, I suspect it isn't, given the existence of Metamagic Spell Trigger.

Chewychunga
2016-04-06, 05:57 PM
If I understood right the meta magic spell trigger adds meta to any wand
Creating a wand with the meta in it makes it stronger when created
And is there anyway to have a staff readied like having a wand chamber ?
I was trying to see if there's any good swift spells I could cast (most I recall are lvl 1)

Sahleb
2016-04-06, 06:17 PM
If I understood right the meta magic spell trigger adds meta to any wand
Creating a wand with the meta in it makes it stronger when created
And is there anyway to have a staff readied like having a wand chamber ?
I was trying to see if there's any good swift spells I could cast (most I recall are lvl 1)

Yeah, but where does the rules say you can have metamagic scrolls? I've never seen it anywhere.

Chewychunga
2016-04-06, 06:30 PM
I never seen anywhere you can't assuming it fits with In the level requirements

DarkSoul
2016-04-06, 07:02 PM
Yeah, but where does the rules say you can have metamagic scrolls? I've never seen it anywhere.

Scrolls are exactly the same as other magical items that store spells. They hold spells of levels 0-9. What, exactly, the spell they're holding is is irrelevant. When creating magical items, an empowered magic missile in a 3rd level spell slot is no different from a fireball.

For in-game references specifically allowing it, see the tables on pages 140-142 of the Epic Level Handbook.

Chewychunga
2016-04-07, 12:07 AM
Is there any way to reduce the spell level needed for meta magic? Like improved meta?? I don't play with meta casters ever
And if there is can they use the new level to enchant a scroll / wand?

icefractal
2016-04-07, 01:42 AM
Is there any way to reduce the spell level needed for meta magic? Like improved meta?? I don't play with meta casters ever
And if there is can they use the new level to enchant a scroll / wand?There are a number of ways, both feats and prestige classes. This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?94941-Cheap-Metamagic) has a bunch of them. However, I don't think that any of them apply to items you craft, although I could be wrong on that.

Chewychunga
2016-04-07, 02:13 AM
Thanks for the link
And dang :( trying to figure a way that I can put a quickened lvl 1 spell into a wand

ahenobarbi
2016-04-07, 05:13 AM
Use Sudden Quicken (from Complete Arcane) instead of Quicken. Doesn't increase spell level at all, so DM may not allow it.

DarkSoul
2016-04-07, 10:10 AM
Most DM's won't allow sudden metamagic to work because of the lack of spell level adjustment, or they'd just rule that the sudden metamagic feats create the same spell level adjustment in the item that the normal feat does, so the simpler solution is to disallow them.

Chewychunga: Anyone with an effect that reduces the cost of metamagic at least one level would be able to put a quickened level 1 spell into a wand. From the thread Icefractal linked, Practical Metamagic (Quicken Spell) would be the best choice because it would be available as soon as the crafter gained 4th-level spell slots. Arcane Thesis would be second best because it's specific to a spell, but allows you to metamagic that spell more than other casters can. After that getting Incantatrix 10 or Dweomerkeeper 10 would reduce ALL your metamagic costs by one, but you're looking at around level 15 for that.

Chewychunga
2016-04-07, 12:42 PM
Thanks dark thats exactly what I was wondering
With it being spell level 4 do you need the higher caster level as well? Or can I create it at lvl 4?

DarkSoul
2016-04-07, 02:22 PM
No, you can't create it at level 4 because you'll need the 4th-level spell slot for a quickened level 1 spell available every day while you're crafting the wand. The soonest you can do it will be 8th level if you're a sorcerer with Practical Metamagic (Quicken Spell).