PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Backporting 5e-style Short Rests and Second Wind: Thoughts?

Coidzor
2016-04-06, 05:41 PM
This is more to do with 5e's style, as, IIRC, 4e's basically had the PCs spending the same resources to heal themselves in the moment or during a rest period as they would when healing abilities were used on them, something like having 2-5 of them per day or 8 hour rest cycle.

I'm more interested in having some pool of healing dice per day that one can then spend during lulls in the adventuring day(such as those times when the Wizard has to pull out the old spellbook to prepare spells in the slots they left empty in order to be able to deal with utility situations) to help extend it while also easing reliance on the 15 minute adventuring day or dependence on wands of cure light wounds or lesser vigor.

By default in 5e a Short Rest is just that you can spend any number of your individual hit dice as well as one's Con mod per die to heal up when resting for at least an hour but less than 8 hours. I don't really see any issues using it as-is, aside from redundancy at high levels, though I might allow for a shorter rest that only allows for a single die to be spent for a 10 or 15 minute breather.

Second Wind in 5e heals 1d10+Fighter Level and recharges on a short rest as a 1st level ability, which I think starts out as roughly equivalent to 1 charge on a 3.5 Healing Belt(MIC?) before outstripping it into being worth more than all three charges at once at higher levels(1d10+20 avg 25 vs 4d8 average 18).

Off the cuff I was thinking about having it start off as a 1d4+con(min 0)+half-level(min 1) or 1d6+con(min 0) healed as a swift action, maybe allowing the die to be maximized if one does it as a standard or maximizing the die and adding half the die value as a full-round action, and then adding a die at 5th and every 5th level and increasing the size of the die to d8 at 10th, or just increasing the size of the die at 6th and then 12. Possibly with an option to spend it as an immediate action if damage would put the character in negatives or to instead set them at -9 and stable if they would be killed outright by the raw damage(though maybe that one is more a use for hero/action/fate points).

So, anyone toyed around with such ideas or implemented them? Any thoughts provoked by what I've written?