PDA

View Full Version : Evil-Paladins (UA) and alternate special mounts

Yogibear41
2016-04-06, 06:42 PM
The DMG lists alternative mounts for the regular (LG) Paladin, giving which levels they would become available. Based on those examples, what would be a good level to allow one of the evil Paladin variants to have a Wyvern Special Mount. The Blackguard has the option of gaining a Wyvern as a mount according to the Draconomicon, so it should be do-able for an evil Paladin as well.

Thoughts? Opinions? Etc.?

Eloel
2016-04-06, 06:49 PM
DMG suggests CR = ECL-3 for mounts, ECL-4 if flying. Since Wyverns are CR6, I'd say a level 10 paladin should get it.

Yogibear41
2016-04-06, 11:51 PM
Completely missed that line. :smallsmile: Do you think that maybe if you took the dragon steed feat, it would reduce the level at which you could obtain it? Or Would you say the feat would be a requirement to get the mount at all.

commander panda
2016-04-07, 09:53 AM
if you've never heard of silverclawshift you should look up her campaign journals. one of them is a horror campaign where the (really creepy death obsessed) paladin ends up swapping his horse for a giant celestial monstrous spider.

Yogibear41
2016-04-07, 11:54 AM
I bet the webs were useful for utility :smallsmile:

Eloel
2016-04-07, 12:31 PM
Completely missed that line. :smallsmile: Do you think that maybe if you took the dragon steed feat, it would reduce the level at which you could obtain it? Or Would you say the feat would be a requirement to get the mount at all.

Dragon Steed doesn't affect a wyvern mount at all, it's specifically for dragonnels. Maybe Dragon Cohort could get you the Wyvern at level 7, but Leadership is very powerful anyway.

Inevitability
2016-04-07, 01:48 PM
I bet the webs were useful for utility :smallsmile:

To a certain extent, yes. I recall it serving as improvised bindings at least once, and it was used to move between tall buildings too.

The spider motif got reinforced when the paladin in question became a vestige, and granted several powers that were a weird blend of arachnid and exalted.

Bohandas
2016-04-07, 03:01 PM
DMG suggests CR = ECL-3 for mounts, ECL-4 if flying. Since Wyverns are CR6, I'd say a level 10 paladin should get it.

Can't fault that logic