PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Lizard-Folk

Deviantheart
2016-04-06, 07:08 PM
Say hello to my first ever post. Be gentle lol
It's essentially my own version of the lizard-folk, because who doesn't want to be based on a dinosaur?

LIZARD-FOLK

Ability Score Increase. Based on Subrace.
Age. The Lizard-folk mature at around year 15, and live for around 200 years.
Alignment. Lizard-folk lean towards Neutral.
Size. Your size is medium. Lizard-folk share the height and weight of humans.
Speed. Your speed is 30, and you have a climb speed of 20ft.
Languages. You understand and can speak common and draconic.
Cold-blooded. Resistance to fire damage. In addition, Warm and hot weather does not affect you. But you are also vulnerable to cold damage, and cold weather affects you more.
Subrace. You may choose either Tyranno-folk, Anklyo-folk, Veloci-folk

Tyranno-folk
Ability score increase. Your constitution and strength increase by 2.
Bite. You have a natural bite attack that deals 1d8 + strength mod slashing damage.
Savage Attacks. When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you can roll one of the weapon’s damage dice one additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit.
Athletic. Gain proficiency in the Athletics skill.

Ankylo-Folk
Ability Score Increase. Your constitution score increases by 2.
Natural Armor. Your armored plates and spikes grant you +1 AC. In addition, enemies grabbing you must take 1d4 piercing damage when grappling you and each round afterwards until released.
Relentless Endurance. When you are reduced to 0 hit points but not killed outright, you can drop to 1 hit point instead. You can’t use this feature again until you finish a long rest.

Veloci-folk
Ability score Increase. You can increase either your Dexterity or intelligence by 2.
Lucky. When you roll a 1 on an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw, you can re-roll the die and must use the new roll.
Stealthy. You are proficient in the stealth skill.
Quick Feet. Your speed becomes 40ft.
Warm-Blooded Veloci-folk are not cold-blooded, and are not affected by the cold-blooded effect.

FINAL NOTES.
I need some balancing notes. I feel the tyranno-folk is balanced(ish?), unsure on Veloci-folk, and I would like to believe the anklyo-folk are balanced due to having extra weaknesses. Thanks for reading, and please give me your criticism/opinion!

I will probably add flavor text once I get balancing sorted out .-.

Knaight
2016-04-06, 07:23 PM
The ankylo-folk are far from balanced. Between +3 constitution, natural armor, and an extra point of HP, they're a bit excessively tough. The resistances and 1 Hp defense bump it up to ludicrously tough, and none of their weaknesses are all that big as weaknesses go.

Deviantheart
2016-04-06, 07:44 PM
The ankylo-folk are far from balanced. Between +3 constitution, natural armor, and an extra point of HP, they're a bit excessively tough. The resistances and 1 Hp defense bump it up to ludicrously tough, and none of their weaknesses are all that big as weaknesses go.
Big thanks!
Yeah, I felt like the amount of buffs they got were a little much. Time to change it a bit if possible!

EDIT: I changed the +3 to a +2, removed +1 HP, and reduced unarmored AC to 10+ Con mod, any advice for further balancing?

VoxRationis
2016-04-06, 07:49 PM
Why are the veloci-folk cold-blooded?

Deviantheart
2016-04-06, 07:54 PM
Why are the veloci-folk cold-blooded?

Oh shoot, that part of the copy/paste from my open office didn't go on!
Editing that now, Thank you much!

PoeticDwarf
2016-04-07, 12:28 AM
Lizardfolk are typical Neutral, like, 90% of the time. Not chaotic. Low light vision also doesn't exsist in 5e. There is more that is awkward for typical lizardfolk:smallannoyed:

Furtherly, these are way too strong. +2AC together with a lot of features like +2 con and resistance to the four most common damage types (maybe poison instead of fire but still). Or +2 con and str with an extreme natural weapon and again a lot of good features or 1d6 sneakattack with +2 dex (or int) would take a race for that already. Call sneak attack something else/unique and don't give races such a damage boost. These insane features go for the Vfolk with 50FT (make it 35 seriously) and OP magic resistance.

Just way too much with OP features sadly. You took from classes and races cool feature and put them all in one race

Final Hyena
2016-04-07, 05:18 AM
Tyranno-folk
Bite. You have a natural bite attack that deals 1d8 + strength mod slashing damage, and the target is grappled. Strength DC save = 8+ Strength modifier + Proficiency bonus
Savage Attacks. When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you can roll one of the weapon’s damage dice one additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit.
Fearless. You are immune to being frightened.

+4 stats
an attack that has a grapple which goes against the grapple rules.
extra crit weapon die
condition immunity
a skill

Honestly this is all right I would just get rid of the grapple part of the bite and the fearless feature.

Bite. You have a natural bite attack that deals 1d8 + strength mod slashing damage.

Ankylo-Folk
Natural Armor. Your armored plates and spikes grant you +2 AC. Without armor, your AC = 10 + constitution modifier, unless a class says otherwise. In addition, enemies grabbing you must take 1d4 piercing damage when grappling you and each round afterwards until released.
Relentless Endurance. When you are reduced to 0 hit points but not killed outright, you can drop to 1 hit point instead. You can’t use this feature again until you finish a long rest.
Awkward Plates. Armor must be specially made for your plates and spikes. Increase all armor costs by 50%.
Vegetarian. Whenever you eat meat, roll a constitution save vs 16. if failed, you are treated as poisoned until your next long rest.
Damage Resistance. Your armor gives you resistance to non-magical Slashing, piercing, and bludgeoning damage. This does not affect critical strikes.

+2 stats
+2 ac
con ac
anti grapple spikes
endurance
double armour cost
vegy
resistance

Oh dear lord that is a lot of good stuff that really takes away from classes. Also you know armour takes a long time to make as in a day per 5gp when armour costs 150% that will be horrendous.

Rework;
Natural Armor. Your armoured plates and spikes grant you +1 AC. Enemies take 1d4 piercing damage when they initiate a grapple you and at the start of each of their turns that they remained grappled with with you.

Veloci-folk
Ability score Increase. You can increase either your Dexterity or intelligence by 2.
Cunning. You have advantage on all Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma saving throws against magic.
Lucky. When you roll a 1 on an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw, you can re-roll the die and must use the new roll.
Quick Feet. Your speed becomes 50ft.
Deadly Pounce. Veloci-folk are experts in stealth attacks. Gain sneak attack damage bonus 1d6. (refer to rogue class)
Warm-Blooded Veloci-folk are not cold-blooded, and are not affected by the cold-blooded effect.

+2 stats
advantage on (the worst) 3 saves
Lucky (+0.475)
1 skill
+20 speed O_O
d6 sneak attack

Far too much.

Rework;
Warm-Blooded Veloci-folk are not cold-blooded, and are not affected by the cold-blooded effect.[/QUOTE]

PoeticDwarf
2016-04-07, 08:05 AM
+4 stats
an attack that has a grapple which goes against the grapple rules.
extra crit weapon die
condition immunity
a skill

Honestly this is all right I would just get rid of the grapple part of the bite and the fearless feature.

+2 stats
+2 ac
con ac
anti grapple spikes
endurance
double armour cost
vegy
resistance

Oh dear lord that is a lot of good stuff that really takes away from classes. Also you know armour takes a long time to make as in a day per 5gp when armour costs 150% that will be horrendous.

Rework;
Natural Armor. Your armoured plates and spikes grant you +1 AC. Enemies take 1d4 piercing damage when they initiate a grapple you and at the start of each of their turns that they remained grappled with with you.

+2 stats
advantage on (the worst) 3 saves
Lucky (+0.475)
1 skill
+20 speed O_O
d6 sneak attack

Far too much.

Rework;
Warm-Blooded Veloci-folk are not cold-blooded, and are not affected by the cold-blooded effect.[/QUOTE]
Your reworks are pretty nice, but the first one's still too strong with +4 stats. And not unique. I'd just go +2str honestly. Maybe the basic race can give +1 con and the others get 1 con less

Final Hyena
2016-04-07, 08:27 AM
Your reworks are pretty nice, but the first one's still too strong with +4 stats. And not unique. I'd just go +2str honestly. Maybe the basic race can give +1 con and the others get 1 con less

I'm a pretty nice kinda guy ;)

I basically matched the value of the racial bonuses vs my own system so it generally follows the path of the baseline 6 +1s to an attribute,

+4 stats and 1 skill (which I value the same as a +1)

Savage attacks gives you an extra 6.5 damage every 20 attacks so 0.325 damage (not enough on it's own for the lost +1) so we'll allow the bite which is a menial buff. A weapon you can't lose, but it doesn't become magical.

As for unique the class does come across very T-rexy which is the aim I believe.

Deviantheart
2016-04-07, 02:08 PM
I'm a pretty nice kinda guy ;)

I basically matched the value of the racial bonuses vs my own system so it generally follows the path of the baseline 6 +1s to an attribute,

+4 stats and 1 skill (which I value the same as a +1)

Savage attacks gives you an extra 6.5 damage every 20 attacks so 0.325 damage (not enough on it's own for the lost +1) so we'll allow the bite which is a menial buff. A weapon you can't lose, but it doesn't become magical.

As for unique the class does come across very T-rexy which is the aim I believe.
Thanks for all the help, I will be using your re-works xD
This was my first actual formal class I was going to use for a game of mine (statting out certain lizard-folk characters), andI really did get carried away with all the wonderful cupcake sprinkles that are things you can give a race. lol thanks you and Enderdwarf!

Deviantheart
2016-04-07, 02:12 PM
It's essentially my own version of the lizard-folk, because who doesn't want to be based on a dinosaur?

LIZARD-FOLK

Senses. You have low-light vision.
Cold-blooded. Resistance to fire damage. In addition, Warm and hot weather does not affect you. But you are also vulnerable to cold damage, and cold weather affects you more.

Tyranno-folk

Ankylo-Folk
Natural Armor. Your armored plates and spikes grant you +1 AC. In addition, enemies grabbing you must take 1d4 piercing damage when grappling you and each round afterwards until released.

Veloci-folk

FINAL NOTES.
I need some balancing notes. I feel the tyranno-folk is balanced(ish?), unsure on Veloci-folk, and I would like to believe the anklyo-folk are balanced due to having extra weaknesses. Thanks for reading, and please give me your criticism/opinion!

EDIT: This is what itl be changed to

Venardhi
2016-04-08, 01:44 AM
This doesn't feel much like a race and subraces. This is three entirely different races with a couple things in common that you're trying to force into a one-race box. I'm going to babble for a little while now. Feel free to ignore or take whatever you like from it.

What is the story behind them? How and when did they diverge? Why are some of them like X and some of them like Y but all considered Lizard-Folk? If you can't come up with satisfying answers then perhaps you need multiple races the same way Goblins, Hobgoblins and Bugbears are all Goblinoids.

If they are a subtype with multiple races then maybe they have their own language. Since they're based more on Dinosaurs rather than Lizards or Dragons let's call it Saurian and give them the Saurian subtype.

Now lets tweak those names. the "-men" and "-folk" race names have always bugged me.
The Tyrannas
The Ankyl
The Velocyr

Somewhere deep in the Jungles of somewhereistan on the continent of otherplace is a great valley formed from an enormous crater. For untold eons the walls of the crater would not allow escape and so, separated from the rest of the world, primal magics were used by some force or another to forge the local fauna into a people called The Saur. One group, the most aggressive and domineering took power and, through magic and many generations, forged a slave race from their defeated enemies. The former became the Tyrannas, the latter the Ankyl. A small group of survivors who had not been enslaved escaped through a hidden tunnel leading them out of the great valley. There they found a new world in which they were forced to be faster, fiercer and far more clever if they were to survive.

Thousands of years later, a slave revolt here, a war somewhere else, and a civilization or twos' rise and fall there, the old Saur people have diverged into three distinct groups, unified only by language and a few shared traits and reintroduced to each other following the destruction of part of their crater-valley's wall.

So what else will they still have in common? Enough to make them a single race? Lifespans could be the same I suppose. One race is faster than the others. One should perhaps be slower, what with all his armor and durability. Alignment could probably represent the cultural values of each, so that will probably vary as well. Size could vary enough that it is worth mentioning. I'm really not seeing much point in not making these distinct races.

Tyrannas
Ability Score Increase: Your Constitution and Strength increase by 2 each.
Age: The Tyrannos, like the other Saurian races, mature in their teens and live around 200 years.
Alignment. Tyrannos crave power and order and will tend to support lawful authority in the hopes to one day wield it.
Size. Your size is Medium. You stand taller and more heavily muscled than the other Saurian races and most humans at around 6 to 6 1/2 feet tall and around 200-225 lbs.
Speed. Your speed is 30
Languages. Common, Saurian
Bite. You are proficient with your heavy jaws as a natural weapon dealing 1d8+STR slashing damage. On critical hit add an extra damage dice.
Athletics Proficiency
Darkvision
Natural Leader. You have advantage on persuasion and intimidation checks to convince others to follow your lead.

Ankyl
Ability Score Increase: Your Constitution increases by 2 and your Wisdom by 1
Age: The Ankyl, like the other Saurian races, mature in their teens and live around 200 years.
Alignment. The Ankyl believe that authority should be wielded to serve the greater good and that we are all stronger together. They take a strong stand against injustices both within and without.
Size. Your size is Medium. You stand at a similar height to most humans but are built far more broadly, commonly weighing up to 300 lbs.
Speed. Your Speed is 25
Natural Armor. Your armored plates and spikes grant you +1 AC. In addition, creatures wearing light or no armor take 1d4 piercing damage when attempting to grapple you and each round the grapple endures. Due to this abnormal physiology, you are considered not proficient with any armor not specifically designed for Ankyl use.
En Garde. Add twice your Wisdom modifier to passive perception checks.

Velocyr
Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity raises by 2 and your Intelligence by 1
Age: The Velocyr, like the other Saurian races, mature in their teens and live around 200 years.
Alignment. The Velocyr lived in the harsh and lawless lands beyond the valley for most of their history, developing a fierce independent streak with little compassion for those beyond their family or tribe.
Size. Your size is medium. Most Velocyr stand around 6 feet, lean but muscular at 160-180 lbs.
Speed. Your speed is 40
Stealth proficiency.
Dark Vision
Determined Attacker. Once per short rest, re-roll any attack which failed by 1. Take the second roll.
Skeptical. Advantage on passive Insight checks to determine a creature's motivations.

They're probably overly strong and need a bit of trimming (they tell me this about most things I make) and editing (not really doing much deep thinking here) but I think it suits better than trying to cram them all into a single box.

Dinosaur people are cool either way. Make it happen.

Deviantheart
2016-04-08, 02:06 AM
This doesn't feel much like a race and subraces. This is three entirely different races with a couple things in common that you're trying to force into a one-race box. I'm going to babble for a little while now. Feel free to ignore or take whatever you like from it.

What is the story behind them? How and when did they diverge? Why are some of them like X and some of them like Y but all considered Lizard-Folk? If you can't come up with satisfying answers then perhaps you need multiple races the same way Goblins, Hobgoblins and Bugbears are all Goblinoids.

If they are a subtype with multiple races then maybe they have their own language. Since they're based more on Dinosaurs rather than Lizards or Dragons let's call it Saurian and give them the Saurian subtype.

Now lets tweak those names. the "-men" and "-folk" race names have always bugged me.
The Tyrannas
The Ankyl
The Velocyr

Somewhere deep in the Jungles of somewhereistan on the continent of otherplace is a great valley formed from an enormous crater. For untold eons the walls of the crater would not allow escape and so, separated from the rest of the world, primal magics were used by some force or another to forge the local fauna into a people called The Saur. One group, the most aggressive and domineering took power and, through magic and many generations, forged a slave race from their defeated enemies. The former became the Tyrannas, the latter the Ankyl. A small group of survivors who had not been enslaved escaped through a hidden tunnel leading them out of the great valley. There they found a new world in which they were forced to be faster, fiercer and far more clever if they were to survive.

Thousands of years later, a slave revolt here, a war somewhere else, and a civilization or twos' rise and fall there, the old Saur people have diverged into three distinct groups, unified only by language and a few shared traits and reintroduced to each other following the destruction of part of their crater-valley's wall.

So what else will they still have in common? Enough to make them a single race? Lifespans could be the same I suppose. One race is faster than the others. One should perhaps be slower, what with all his armor and durability. Alignment could probably represent the cultural values of each, so that will probably vary as well. Size could vary enough that it is worth mentioning. I'm really not seeing much point in not making these distinct races.

Tyrannas
Ability Score Increase: Your Constitution and Strength increase by 2 each.
Age: The Tyrannos, like the other Saurian races, mature in their teens and live around 200 years.
Alignment. Tyrannos crave power and order and will tend to support lawful authority in the hopes to one day wield it.
Size. Your size is Medium. You stand taller and more heavily muscled than the other Saurian races and most humans at around 6 to 6 1/2 feet tall and around 200-225 lbs.
Speed. Your speed is 30
Bite. You are proficient with your heavy jaws as a natural weapon dealing 1d8+STR slashing damage. On critical hit add an extra damage dice.
Athletics Proficiency
Darkvision
Natural Leader. You have advantage on persuasion and intimidation checks to convince others to follow your lead.

Ankyl
Ability Score Increase: Your Constitution increases by 2 and your Wisdom by 1
Age: The Ankyl, like the other Saurian races, mature in their teens and live around 200 years.
Alignment. The Ankyl believe that authority should be wielded to serve the greater good and that we are all stronger together. They take a strong stand against injustices both within and without.
Size. Your size is Medium. You stand at a similar height to most humans but are built far more broadly, commonly weighing up to 300 lbs.
Speed. Your Speed is 25
Natural Armor. Your armored plates and spikes grant you +1 AC. In addition, creatures wearing light or no armor take 1d4 piercing damage when attempting to grapple you and each round the grapple endures. Due to this abnormal physiology, you are considered not proficient with any armor not specifically designed for Ankyl use.
En Garde. Add twice your Wisdom modifier to passive perception checks.

Velocyr
Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity raises by 2 and your Intelligence by 1
Age: The Velocyr, like the other Saurian races, mature in their teens and live around 200 years.
Alignment. The Velocyr lived in the harsh and lawless lands beyond the valley for most of their history, developing a fierce independent streak with little compassion for those beyond their family or tribe.
Size. Your size is medium. Most Velocyr stand around 6 feet, lean but muscular at 160-180 lbs.
Speed. Your speed is 40
Stealth proficiency.
Dark Vision
Determined Attacker. Once per short rest, re-roll any attack which failed by 1. Take the second roll.
Skeptical. Advantage on passive Insight checks to determine a creature's motivations.

They're probably overly strong and need a bit of trimming (they tell me this about most things I make) and editing (not really doing much deep thinking here) but I think it suits better than trying to cram them all into a single box.

Dinosaur people are cool either way. Make it happen.

Ik how you feel on the overpowered thing... xD
I really do appreciate your and the other suggestions I've been getting, and I do kinda agree that they should be their own thing.

I will take your advice, but I think I am going to make a V2 of this racial page, just to de-clutter and neaten things up a bit.

Zman
2016-04-09, 09:39 AM

LIZARD-FOLK

Tyranno-folk
Ability score increase. Str +1, Con +1
Bite. You have a natural bite attack that deals 1d8 + strength mod Piercing damage.
Savage Attacks. When you score a critical hit in melee you may make a bite attack as a bonus action.

Ankylo-Folk
Ability Score Increase. Con +2, Str +1
Natural Armor. While unarmored your AC is equal to 10+Dex+Con. You have Advantage while attempting to resist a grapple or while attempting to escape a grapple.

Veloci-folk
Ability score Increase. Dex +2, Int +1
Hunters. You are proficient in the stealth and perception skills.
Quick Feet. Your speed becomes 40ft. Your Climb speed becomes 30'.

FINAL NOTES.

Ok, these are kind of a mess from a balance perspective. Given your theme this is what I would do with them.