PDA

View Full Version : Elves meditating in heavy armor

Yogibear41
2016-04-06, 07:31 PM
Since Elves Meditate and no not need to sleep, does an elf wearing medium or heavy armor avoid becoming fatigued the next day if they meditate in it, since they are not actually sleeping?

Necroticplague
2016-04-06, 07:49 PM
Since Elves Meditate and no not need to sleep, does an elf wearing medium or heavy armor avoid becoming fatigued the next day if they meditate in it, since they are not actually sleeping?

Yep. Tehy don't sleep, ergo they don't sleep in heavy armor, ergo they don't get fatigued.

MisterKaws
2016-04-06, 08:00 PM
I'd argue that the weight will still get them fatigued for not resting without the armor, even if they don't "sleep".

Thurbane
2016-04-06, 08:07 PM
I guess there might be different answers depending on if you go by RAW, or RAI.

icefractal
2016-04-07, 01:51 AM
But what even is RAI? Personally, I'd assume that:
1) The "trance instead of sleep" ability is presented as a benefit.
2) If you can't be any more prepared for trouble than a sleeping person, it's not much of a benefit.

Therefore, RAI is that you can trance in armor.

Daefos
2016-04-07, 02:11 AM
But what even is RAI? Personally, I'd assume that:
1) The "trance instead of sleep" ability is presented as a benefit.
2) If you can't be any more prepared for trouble than a sleeping person, it's not much of a benefit.

Therefore, RAI is that you can trance in armor.
Unless the benefit was that they only require half the time other races do, and the fact that they trance rather than sleep is just fluff.

Personally, I would think that the RAI is that prolonged rest while wearing heavier armour causes fatigue, regardless of what specific form that rest takes.

HammeredWharf
2016-04-07, 02:17 AM
I'd just let them rest. They're elves. Let them have a useful ability. Then again, gletting them have a useful ability is probably against the RAI.

Gruftzwerg
2016-04-07, 03:49 AM

Can anybody say where I can find rules on "elves meditation"? I only can find rules for sleep imuninty. Sure I know the they meditate for half the time rule, but where does it come from? I can't find it atm.

Milo v3
2016-04-07, 06:16 AM
Can anybody say where I can find rules on "elves meditation"? I only can find rules for sleep imuninty. Sure I know the they meditate for half the time rule, but where does it come from? I can't find it atm.
It's flavour text for elves in the players handbook.

Psyren
2016-04-07, 09:01 AM
It's also mentioned in the Nightmare (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/nightmare.htm) spell:

Creatures who don’t sleep (such as elves, but not half-elves) or dream are immune to this spell.