PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Ideas for arcane trickster

RavensLand
2016-04-06, 07:56 PM
I'm retiring my current monk and going for something with more options in and out of combat.
Stat array of 18/16/15/14/12/10 and approximately 25k starting gold starting level 7.

My current plan is Knife master rogue 3/ Divination (foresight subschool) wizard 3 then go on through AT.

I haven't settled on a race.
This is a pretty heavy to game and there's usually a week of downtime in game between sessions so my intention is to spend that time doing fortunes for the wealthy, getting all the personal info I can and then use divination spells to spy on them and scope out any tasty baubles they leave about. In combat I plan on being as annoying as possible with illusions and buff spells with the occasional shanking.

I'm open to any other suggestions you guys might have, this character is more for fun than optimization so lay it on me.

Sayt
2016-04-06, 08:04 PM
Generally speaking, it's stronger to go Rogue 1/Wizard 3/[Something that goes 1d6 SA die at lvl 1 (Assassin and Sleepless Detective are usual go-tos)], then into Arcane Trickster. This gets you an extra level worth of spell slots, and means you don't lose out on casters levels if you take the trait to increase your CL by 2, up to your HD.

Geddy2112
2016-04-06, 08:11 PM
Generally speaking, it's stronger to go Rogue 1/Wizard 3/[Something that goes 1d6 SA die at lvl 1 (Assassin and Sleepless Detective are usual go-tos)], then into Arcane Trickster. This gets you an extra level worth of spell slots, and means you don't lose out on casters levels if you take the trait to increase your CL by 2, up to your HD.

Second this, you can also get sneak attack through vivisection alchemist and go alc/wizard that way if you want. This is less of an issue if you can go unchained rogue and get dex to damage with weapon of choice at level three, but with those ability scores it is not a huge issue.

Kukri is the best weapon for the knife master due to the crit range. Dex and intelligence are your most important scores, followed by con, then strength(unless u rogue) then wis and dump charisma. you can dump strength and have a bonus from charisma if you are urogue.

Haramaki has a 0 ACP and 0% spell failure chance for armor you can enchant. A mithral/darkwood buckler will do the same, as I assume you won't TWF since you want a hand free to cast spells. You will lose the buckler bonus the turn you cast but you don't really care. Otherwise standard ring of protection, handy haversack, utility wands, cloak of resistance, headband of int, belt of dex. Should be fine.

RavensLand
2016-04-06, 08:19 PM
Personally I'd prefer to have evasion and miss a caster level for this game (the dm is a real hard ass with aoes and such). Then upside I can use the rogue talent for combat trick for kukri proficiency.
Also I keep forgetting unchained rogue is a thing. Does it still work with archetypes? Just replacing danger sense for trap sense as appropriate?

Sayt
2016-04-06, 09:26 PM
The other option that I forgot to mention was the eldritch scoundrel.

Give up half skill ranks, half your sneak attack and half your rogue talkents to get wizard casting at the magus' progression. The advantagw to this is that you're doing your thing from level one, the downside is that you dilute both your casting and rogue-ing, but you do single-entry arcane trickster.

Geddy2112
2016-04-06, 09:43 PM
Personally I'd prefer to have evasion and miss a caster level for this game (the dm is a real hard ass with aoes and such). Then upside I can use the rogue talent for combat trick for kukri proficiency.
Also I keep forgetting unchained rogue is a thing. Does it still work with archetypes? Just replacing danger sense for trap sense as appropriate?

I keep forgetting that knife master does not grant kukri proficency. If you don't have another means to get it, then why would you want that? You can just use a shortsword and do d6 sneak attack, call it a day. Heck, a rapier does a d8 with an 18-20 crit range, and if you want a free hand to cast it is your best bet for a 1 handed sneak attack weapon. I suppose knife master does a bit more damage if you have sneak attack online, but it is conditional and certainly not worth a combat feat for just proficiency. A bonus to hiding light blades and +1 AC against said attacks is incredibly situational, and really not worth danger sense or trapfinding. If there is no particular reason you want this archetype for fluff, go with something else.

If you have not settled on race, kitsune trickster is bonkers good archetype for a rogue/wizard/arcane trickster. You can do a single level dip here to get the best part. Plus the stats are solid and a bonus to enchantment spells if you are into that kind of thing.

And yes, unchained rogue works with any archetypes fine. Danger sense is replaced anytime trap sense would be replaced.

RavensLand
2016-04-07, 03:22 PM
I'm about at the point of flipping a coin between elf knife master or kitsune trickster. As a player I love the versatility of daggers in and out of combat, I could take or leave kukris it was just a thought for the rogue talent. But kitsune being able to transform as part of their race is really useful and I wouldn't mind an excuse to look more into the enchantment school. I'd be tempted to go sorcerer though in that case for the bloodlines that give bonuses to enchantment subschools.