PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder How would I build this?

Shadowscale
2016-04-06, 08:24 PM
I had the idea recently of building a character who's main thing is they use firearms, have an animal companion and no spells. I was wondering if anyone knew off hand what class archetypes or fears could make this happen?

CockroachTeaParty
2016-04-06, 08:27 PM
You could slap a druid variant multi class (from Pathfinder Unchained) onto a character with no spells and firearm proficiency; you'll have an animal companion by level 7 (full-powered by level 11).

You could also take a ranger archetype that gets rid of spell casting (there's at least one... skirmisher, I think it's called?) and nab firearm proficiency with a feat.

There's also a fighter archetype that gets a familiar, and it's not too hard to make guns work on a fighter.

Shadowscale
2016-04-06, 08:37 PM
You could slap a druid variant multi class (from Pathfinder Unchained) onto a character with no spells and firearm proficiency; you'll have an animal companion by level 7 (full-powered by level 11).

You could also take a ranger archetype that gets rid of spell casting (there's at least one... skirmisher, I think it's called?) and nab firearm proficiency with a feat.

There's also a fighter archetype that gets a familiar, and it's not too hard to make guns work on a fighter.

Hmm these are all good ideas. Gunslinger VMC Druid for the first one,
I think the ranger would work nice I just am curious if that particular archetype can be taken with the firearm archetype as well...
Is the fighter archetype an animal companion or familiar?

Sorry just exploring my options still for PFS

avr
2016-04-07, 02:01 AM
The fighter archetype (Eldritch Guardian) gets a familiar. The mauler archetype makes it brawny enough.

You can get an animal companion via feats. Nature Soul, Animal Ally, then usually Boon Companion.

If you're willing to settle for a mount rather than a animal companion exactly the cavalier is an option.

IIRC the gun-using archetypes are banned in PFS in order to not step on the gunslinger's toes, and VMC is banned too.

Geddy2112
2016-04-07, 09:02 AM
You can get an animal companion via feats. Nature Soul, Animal Ally, then usually Boon Companion.

If you're willing to settle for a mount rather than a animal companion exactly the cavalier is an option.

Yeah, I think the dune drifter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/cavalier/archetypes/paizo---cavalier-archetypes/dune-drifter-cavalier-archetype) archetype is your best bet here for an out of the box build.

With retraining, you can get an animal companion by level 4 through feats and to full level by 5th through boon companion.

Seginus
2016-04-07, 11:44 AM
If you use any 3rd party, you can be a Skirmisher Ranger (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo---ranger-archetypes/skirmisher) and grab the firearms combat style (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/ascension-games-llc/firearms-combat-style).

Shadowscale
2016-04-07, 04:21 PM
Yeah, I think the dune drifter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/cavalier/archetypes/paizo---cavalier-archetypes/dune-drifter-cavalier-archetype) archetype is your best bet here for an out of the box build.

With retraining, you can get an animal companion by level 4 through feats and to full level by 5th through boon companion.

Looks neat, just hope it's legal to take.

Sayt
2016-04-07, 05:40 PM
The other option is to take Trench Fighter archetype and grab an animal companion from Animal Soul.

Shadowscale
2016-04-08, 01:06 AM
The other option is to take Trench Fighter archetype and grab an animal companion from Animal Soul.

Looking up animal soul seems to show it doesn't give you a companion as the requirement to take it assumes you have one?

Shadowscale
2016-04-08, 01:21 AM
Wow, it is so stupid everything gun related except the gunslinger class isn't allowed in pathfinder society.

Sayt
2016-04-08, 05:36 AM
Looking up animal soul seems to show it doesn't give you a companion as the requirement to take it assumes you have one?

Wow, it is so stupid everything gun related except the gunslinger class isn't allowed in pathfinder society.

Yeah, I was thinking animal ally, sorry!

And yeah, even if there was a local PF Society game for me, I find a lot of their bans and exclusions... conservative.