PDA

View Full Version : Is there a class that allows you to cast arcane and divine?

Nightmarefueled
2016-04-07, 01:53 AM
I'm looking for a class that can cast arcane and divine spells so I can dip cleric 1 for turn attempts, Then binder > Anima mage.

This way I could use the cleric 1 turn attempts on the divine spells and have 3 free persists from Anima mage (plus binder abilities) for the arcane side.

HammeredWharf
2016-04-07, 02:02 AM
Sha'ir from Dragon Compendium. I'm not sure what your plan is, though. Your divine side would still only have access to a few lvl 1 spells. Spending feats of DMM: Persisting them doesn't seem worth it.

Inevitability
2016-04-07, 03:04 AM
Savants (Dragon Compendium) grant both arcane and divine spells, though not at level 1.

Gruftzwerg
2016-04-07, 03:15 AM
Mystic Theurge as PRC only comes to my mind.

Necroticplague
2016-04-07, 07:47 AM
Rainbow Servants are arcane casters to start with, and have a capstone that lets them cast divine spells.

Anyone can cast both if they use Southern Magician.

Gildedragon
2016-04-07, 07:55 AM
Chameleon
Arguably: an anyspell based cleric

Swaoeaeieu
2016-04-07, 08:02 AM
does a factotum count as casting both?
or an artificer who can make wands of both arcane and divine spells?

Necroticplague
2016-04-07, 08:08 AM

Artificers can't do that. Artificers make wands (and scrolls) that are neither arcane or divine.

untrippable
2016-04-07, 08:12 AM

How does a factotum get divine spells?

Also, they technically don't cast spells at all. They use SLAs that just function identically to regular spells.

Swaoeaeieu
2016-04-07, 08:20 AM
Artificers can't do that. Artificers make wands (and scrolls) that are neither arcane or divine.

How does a factotum get divine spells?

Also, they technically don't cast spells at all. They use SLAs that just function identically to regular spells.

ok mybad, misremembered

Gildedragon
2016-04-07, 08:21 AM
ok mybad, misremembered

You were thinking of the chameleon prc. It follows nicely from factotum so both can get a bit confused.

Psyren
2016-04-07, 09:25 AM

Warlocks however can make typed wands

Duskwolf
2016-04-07, 10:15 PM
The magister class. Basically a build to suit caster. Pathfinder. On the d20 website.

bahamut920
2016-04-07, 11:23 PM
Rainbow Servants are arcane casters to start with, and have a capstone that lets them cast divine spells.

Anyone can cast both if they use Southern Magician.
Rainbow Servants add the Cleric spell list to the spell list of whatever arcane casting class you advance with it. The spells are still arcane, not actually divine.

Chameleon
Arguably: an anyspell based cleric
Chameleon explicitly doesn't count as spellcasting for meeting prerequisites, though. You need to have enough spellcasting somewhere else to meet the prerequisites.

Anyspell allows you to prepare and cast from the wizard list in your cleric slots, but clerics cast divine spells. No deal there, if you're looking to meet prerequisites.

Factotum arcane dilettante is just that; arcane. And it's spell-like, so they don't actually cast spells.

Artificer makes "neutral" wands and scrolls. Actual casters need to UMD artificer items, even if the spell is on their list. Also, items don't count for prerequisites.

Necroticplague
2016-04-08, 03:55 AM
Rainbow Servants add the Cleric spell list to the spell list of whatever arcane casting class you advance with it. The spells are still arcane, not actually divine.

Really? My copy of CDiv says otherwise.

A 10th-level rainbow servant can learn and cast spells from the cleric list, even if they don’t appear on the lists of any spellcasting class he has. Such spells are cast as divine spells if they don’t appear on the sorcerer/wizard or bard spell lists. This class feature grants access to the spells, but not extra spells per day. The 10th-level rainbow servant can likewise read scrolls with cleric spells on them and use wands and staffs that contain cleric spells.

weckar
2016-04-08, 04:01 AM
Dragon has a nifty feat called Alternate Spell Source. Convenient for a build like this, to be sure: Advance cleric with Anima Mage, and still get all the DMM goodness (or, non-goodness. Because Anima Mage).

bahamut920
2016-04-08, 01:43 PM
Really? My copy of CDiv says otherwise.
Whoops. I was away from my books at the time, and I must have misremembered.

Bobby Baratheon
2016-04-08, 10:02 PM
If you just need the turn undead attempts, just bind tenebrous. Alternatively, there's a pretty good homebrewed 2nd level vestige (the Green lady) by James Jacob (one of the Grewhawk designers, IIRC) that you can take that gives you turn/rebuke uses, among other things.

Tiri
2016-04-08, 10:11 PM
If you just need the turn undead attempts, just bind tenebrous.

That only gives one turn attempt at a time, though.

Bobby Baratheon
2016-04-09, 12:04 AM
True, which is why I prefer the Green Lady (which just gives you turn or rebuke without any caveats), or just dipping sacred exorcist (which you can do from an arcane class). There is a bit of controversy about how Tenebrous' ability actually works, with some saying that it grants you the same uses a cleric would have (but only usable once every five rounds), others saying Tenebrous lets you use Turn/Rebuke every five rounds (without actually granting any uses, and thus negating uses for the ability), and still others saying that you get an effectively unlimited amount of uses (that are only applicable once every five rounds). I think any of them are reasonable (though not perhaps RAW) interpretations; for the record, though, I would agree with you.