PDA

View Full Version : Time Stop

DoomsdayBadger
2007-06-21, 09:59 PM
A friend of mine insists he can cast time delayed spells in order to set up a mess of trouble for his targets when the time stop ends.

I'm almost positive he's incorrect, do you agree?

He said he uses the feat "delay spell" in order to make it work.

So I leave it to you, the viewers at home to help me out.

I_Got_This_Name
2007-06-21, 10:06 PM
This should probably be in Gaming.

And yes, it works. It's a 9th-level spell, it's supposed to be powerful. The only interpretation that would nerf it is to say that as soon as you release the spells, they leave your accelerated time stream; their timers start ticking as soon as you drop back into the normal flow of time. Also, I'm fairly sure that you can't target people in a different time stream, you have to use area spells.

Also, you could have the DM roll time (for the time stop), and keep the timer running while stopped. Then if they give too much time, the spells will be delayed in real time; if they give too little, the spells blow up in their face.

Of course, you could also use spells like acid fog, which you don't need to delay; they just dont affect them until you're out of their time stream.

brian c
2007-06-21, 10:28 PM
Generally people cast Acid Fog and Cloudkill and things like that during a Timestop, because they don't directly deal damage and thus aren't prohibited. However, I think it would be perfectly legal to use a Delayed Blast Fireball or any other such delayed thing- as long as it isn't doing damage to anyone during the stoppage of time, it's okay.

TheOOB
2007-06-22, 12:32 AM
Time stop if perfect for the forcecage/cloudkill combo, plus at the very least you can take a readied action for the condition that timestop ends.

Personally, I don't allow any actions that affect the outside world while time stopped, and I rule that after time stop ends you are dazed until the beginning of your next turn, eliminating any chance of getting another action between now and then.

EagleWiz
2007-06-22, 08:27 AM
Yes you can use delayed blast fireball.
And this should be in Gaming: D20 and general RPG.