PDA

View Full Version : No attack rolls, thanks.

weckar
2016-04-07, 09:59 AM
Basically, is there any way to make touch spells or ray spells into some form of area spells (line, cone, etc.)? I have several feats free, if such is required. PrCs are a possibility, but I'd prefer not.

Necroticplague
2016-04-07, 10:16 AM
Basically, is there any way to make touch spells or ray spells into some form of area spells (line, cone, etc.)? I have several feats free, if such is required. PrCs are a possibility, but I'd prefer not.

Lords of madness has some magic items that do this, designed for beholders to use with their eye rays, but compatible with any rays. There's also ray coning, a +2 metamagic feat that looms like exactly what you want (turns rays into 30 foot cones).

ahenobarbi
2016-04-07, 10:17 AM
I don't remember any way to turn targeted spell into an area spell but you can use Limited Wish to automatically succeed on an atack roll.

weckar
2016-04-07, 10:20 AM
Ray Coning eh? Man that's an obscure one. Exactly what I would need, though. Only requiring a single feat slot, too. And cheaper on the adjustment than expected.

LTwerewolf
2016-04-07, 10:28 AM
Sculpt spell works doesn't it?

Necroticplague
2016-04-07, 10:44 AM
Sculpt spell works doesn't it?

Nope. Sculpt spell only works on area spells in the first place, so its not much use for turning a non-area spell into an area spell.

LTwerewolf
2016-04-07, 10:47 AM
Nope. Sculpt spell only works on area spells in the first place, so its not much use for turning a non-area spell into an area spell.

But once it's been ray coned, it can be further altered.

Sahleb
2016-04-07, 02:45 PM
But once it's been ray coned, it can be further altered.

That's +3 worth of metamagic. And you gotta watch out for low-flying DMGs.

But it would work, in theory.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-04-07, 04:35 PM
That's +3 worth of metamagic. And you gotta watch out for low-flying DMGs.

But it would work, in theory.

IME, stacking metamagics doesn't usually bother anyone until you start to add in cost reducers. That's when the high-velocity DMG's start firing.

Sahleb
2016-04-07, 04:38 PM
IME, stacking metamagics doesn't usually bother anyone until you start to add in cost reducers. That's when the high-velocity DMG's start firing.

I dunno, 4 10ft. cubes of Enervation might rustle some jimmies here and there, even though it'd be a 7th level spell.

BowStreetRunner
2016-04-07, 04:46 PM

Do large numbers of high-velocity DMGs require separate attack roll's, or can they be treated as an area attack? :smallwink:

Ger. Bessa
2016-04-07, 05:37 PM
I dunno, 4 10ft. cubes of Enervation might rustle some jimmies here and there, even though it'd be a 7th level spell.

What's the level of "Necrotic Skull bomb" again ? 5 ? For an enervation-ball (with a Skull for style)...

Pretty decent (but maybe not shapeable, I remember that it had a weird formulation and worked more like a splash weapon. Maybe).

So, very reasonnable on most blasts. Funny with disintegrate, funier with ray-ed buffs.

weckar
2016-04-08, 02:09 AM
No worries of flying DMGs here: we're using a VTT.

I always have the itch of applying Easy Metamagic to each MMFeat I get. Makes them a lot more build-costly though.

Now I am imagining a Reach Spell -> Ray Coning -> Sculpt Spell combo for delicious OP-ness. That'd only be a +0 after 2 Easy Metamagics and an Arcane Thesis... a Thousand Fingers of Death, anyone?