PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a guide on a necromancer build

Sir cryosin
2016-04-07, 10:16 AM
I'm looking for a guide or build advice on making a necromancer. I would like it to feel a bit like the necromancer class from diablo 2 game if possible. I was thinking I can refluff the eldritch blast as the necromancer's bone spear or teeth spell.

PeteNutButter
2016-04-07, 10:35 AM
A "Necromancer(wizard subclass)" is the best way to make a necromancer. It doesn't come online until level 5 when you can get animate dead, and really takes off at level 6.

Loads of minions, can be quite deadly. If you dedicate all your level 3+ spells to making and retaining undead, the numbers get quite high.

If your thinking more of the cursey pokey necromancer, as opposed to minions you could go warlock, but unfortunately warlocks don't get animate dead. They do get finger of death, but it comes so late its likely not that useful. Potentially making 1 zombie a day isn't going to do much unless you have lots of prep time and possible zombie targets.

Going back to the wizard, he could successfully fill both of the D2 type necromancers. Debuff spells like slow seem like D2 curses.

Addaran
2016-04-07, 11:42 AM
Depending what part of the D2 necro you want, some lvl in Warlock sounds good.
Eldritch Blast for the bone spear/ teeth. Armor of Agathys or the False Life invocation for the bone armor. There's an invocation to summon elemental once a day (earth for the "golem") And they have some poison spells.

For the zombies though, i'm not sure if warlock can get some (maybe undying patron?) or you'll have to multiclass.

PeteNutButter
2016-04-07, 11:53 AM
Depending what part of the D2 necro you want, some lvl in Warlock sounds good.
Eldritch Blast for the bone spear/ teeth. Armor of Agathys or the False Life invocation for the bone armor. There's an invocation to summon elemental once a day (earth for the "golem") And they have some poison spells.

For the zombies though, i'm not sure if warlock can get some (maybe undying patron?) or you'll have to multiclass.

Alas I looked at Undying Patron, his 3rd level spells are Speak with Dead, and the ever useless Feign Death. If you have a lax DM that's willing to home brew that Feign Death into Animate Dead, you may have a good D2 Necro there.

I'd be wary as a DM though as Animate Dead's functionality can be odd or even OP with short rest spells. I believe that's why they didn't give it to the Undying Patron.

SliceandDiceKid
2016-04-07, 11:56 AM
Necromancer wizard wins. Don't try it another way... It IS the minion master of 5E.

To optimize, get a portable hole to hide your taboo from society. Stick with Mage armor/shield early on. Then skeleton archers to plink with and zombies to tank small hits with undead fortitude.

RulesJD
2016-04-07, 12:16 PM
Optimal Necromancer Guide:

Wizard (Necromancer) 6 -> Bard 6 -> Wizard rest of the way

You need that Necromancer level 6 ability first.

Then Bard. Why? Two reasons.

1. Zombies/Skeletons can spend hit die to heal on a short rest. Thus, Song of Rest also works for them. This will significantly increase their staying power over a fighting day.

2. College of Lore Magical Secrets (Crusaders Mantle) + Faire Fire. Generally speaking you're mostly going to be using Skeleton Archers. If you can generate advantage for them (Faerie Fire), this will significantly increase their already pretty decent DPR (1d6+5 per skeleton gets big numbers quick).

Crusader's Mantle = rather big DPR increase because you can have it impacting pretty much all your summons.

After that you want more Wizard for the level 14 ability and better Undead summoning spells.

SliceandDiceKid
2016-04-07, 12:33 PM
Optimal Necromancer Guide:

Wizard (Necromancer) 6 -> Bard 6 -> Wizard rest of the way

You need that Necromancer level 6 ability first.

Then Bard. Why? Two reasons.

1. Zombies/Skeletons can spend hit die to heal on a short rest. Thus, Song of Rest also works for them. This will significantly increase their staying power over a fighting day.

2. College of Lore Magical Secrets (Crusaders Mantle) + Faire Fire. Generally speaking you're mostly going to be using Skeleton Archers. If you can generate advantage for them (Faerie Fire), this will significantly increase their already pretty decent DPR (1d6+5 per skeleton gets big numbers quick).

Crusader's Mantle = rather big DPR increase because you can have it impacting pretty much all your summons.

After that you want more Wizard for the level 14 ability and better Undead summoning spells.

Thank you! I can't believe I forgot about the bard for find steed/crus mantle! I wouldn't go back to wizard, personally. Bard up to 14 is really incredible! Also, if you dip bard, you miss the best feature wizard gets anyway.

Sit on your magical horse (looks decaying) singing songs or playing an instrument as your minions deliver death!

Specter
2016-04-07, 01:46 PM
If you don't want to be bothered with minions and/or prefer a religious point of view, the Cleric Death domain from the Dungeon Master's Guide can help. All of its features oriented towards dealing more damage with necromancy spells and debuffing.

MrStabby
2016-04-07, 02:44 PM
I played an othbreaker wizard once and it was great fun.

Firstly I urge you to not play a pure minion necromancer. Mainly its a bit dull. You have one ability you have focussed on and it consumes a lot of resources (quite effectively sometimes). Also it is really frustrating for everyone else to sit through the skeletons or zombies turns.

The oathbreaker is, to me, more fun. 7 levels of oathbreaker and 6 levels of wizard make the core but there is a lot before then.

Going to level 6 necromancer first is OK. Not great as I am going to urge a low intelligence. Levels 1-4 go past fast and levels 5 and 6 you have undead minions for which don't need int. You will use a lot of utility spells for 1-4. Level 7 takes 1st paladin and is slow but it does toughen you up (if you are starting at a higher level you may want this 1st to get the armour proficiency) but 2nd level of paladin actually opens up a lot: more smites than you will make melee attacks in a day, level 4 spell slots and access to a nice selection of divine magic. At this stage you can stand side by side with your minions, dish out some pain and be reasonably tough (although the toughness feat can really help) through spells like shield. Level 5 puts you on 2 attacks, level six gives your zombies advantage on saves (so barring radiant damage they will tend to stay round quite a bit longer). Aura of hate adds damage as does a late crusader's mantle. All in all you get fewer minions to have to keep track of (and for everyone else to sit through) but they are more elite. In addition you get to be a great support caster and a front-line combatant.

tieren
2016-04-07, 02:52 PM
If your thinking more of the cursey pokey necromancer, as opposed to minions you could go warlock, but unfortunately warlocks don't get animate dead. They do get finger of death, but it comes so late its likely not that useful. Potentially making 1 zombie a day isn't going to do much unless you have lots of prep time and possible zombie targets.

Just for the record but warlocks can take create undead as their 6th spell level arcanum if they wish to.

SliceandDiceKid
2016-04-07, 03:22 PM
Just for the record but warlocks can take create undead as their 6th spell level arcanum if they wish to.

Even though it's "just for the record," it's still objectively worse than animate dead cast from a 6th level slot (with necro class feature).

Theodoxus
2016-04-07, 05:13 PM

Firstly I urge you to not play a pure minion necromancer. Mainly its a bit dull. You have one ability you have focussed on and it consumes a lot of resources (quite effectively sometimes). Also it is really frustrating for everyone else to sit through the skeletons or zombies turns.

The oathbreaker is, to me, more fun. 7 levels of oathbreaker and 6 levels of wizard make the core but there is a lot before then.

Going to level 6 necromancer first is OK. Not great as I am going to urge a low intelligence. Levels 1-4 go past fast and levels 5 and 6 you have undead minions for which don't need int. You will use a lot of utility spells for 1-4. Level 7 takes 1st paladin and is slow but it does toughen you up (if you are starting at a higher level you may want this 1st to get the armour proficiency) but 2nd level of paladin actually opens up a lot: more smites than you will make melee attacks in a day, level 4 spell slots and access to a nice selection of divine magic. At this stage you can stand side by side with your minions, dish out some pain and be reasonably tough (although the toughness feat can really help) through spells like shield. Level 5 puts you on 2 attacks, level six gives your zombies advantage on saves (so barring radiant damage they will tend to stay round quite a bit longer). Aura of hate adds damage as does a late crusader's mantle. All in all you get fewer minions to have to keep track of (and for everyone else to sit through) but they are more elite. In addition you get to be a great support caster and a front-line combatant.

I can't wait for my Oathbreaker/Necromancer gestalt player get a chance to play with her minions. Unfortunately, she had to get pregnant and the game is on hiatus for a month until May... but when we get back to it, oh boy! The group just hit 5th, so I know she's gonna be looking for bodies to animate...

tieren
2016-04-07, 06:06 PM
Even though it's "just for the record," it's still objectively worse than animate dead cast from a 6th level slot (with necro class feature).

I agree, just correcting the misstatement that they only could make undead via finger of death.

AnimusObscura
2018-05-28, 08:37 AM

So if it’s 7 oathbreaker and 6 necro wiz, what are the other 7, all bard? I’m making one for a campaign and I really like the concept. It fits nicely with the personality of the character (preassigned personalities but we can choose class/race etc)