PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Roleplaying Divine Champion of Loviatar help

Purple_Diamond
2016-04-07, 12:29 PM
This is my first post here. Hi everyone. I need some help. :)

This isn't so much of a, "I need help Roleplaying her." More of a, "I need help obtaining Divine Champion status without breaking any laws of my city." ....Actually I could break some laws, that doesn't matter much. >:)

My PC (Painbringer Galiana Beulah) is a Deputy in her city's militia. I play an online game called Neverwinter Nights, surely some here have heard of it. Anyway. A Divine Champion is something that has to be earned, obviously.
This is pretty much a how-to-earn list.

- Be generally renowned for your deeds on behalf of your deity.
- Perform a great task for your church, or on behalf of your deity.
- Understand what championing your deity's will in the world actually means, and create a compelling and creative path based on this.
- As a simple example, several lay swords of the church set out in search of a holy grail, the divine champion is the one who overcame all trials and retrieved it successfully.

Seeing as how she is in the militia, to get further backing, she would need to get promoted, or just do the best she can without casting any suspicion from her superiors. I have gotten a bit of feedback from one of the DM's on my game, and they say it's possible to be both DC and in the Militia, I just don't really have a lot of ideas on how to do that.

I know I need to like.. go on holy missions in the name of Loviatar. My thing is like, how do I convince people to come with me and help me? She needs to be open about who she worships, and she is, but people think she is shady, so why would they want to help her? How can she bribe people to go with her on her missions?

If she makes herself known in the militia, she will have support. Militia privilege= "Gorestag" covering her ass if she does evil stuff if she bribes him.
Authority= She can order people to submit to the law, or suffer pain.. ETC.

So.. Ways to obtain Divine Champion status.

Go on missions to seek out holy relics of Loviatar.
Get people to join by using militia backing of her missions. "For the sake of the city. I'm in the militia so I have the say." Etc.

There's this big necromancer plot going on right now.
There's a big doppleganger plot going on right now.
There's quite a few things I could probably use to my advantage, I just lack the creativity sometimes I think. Any advice or opinions or if you think I could give any more information, that would be appreciated.

-Purple_Diamond

Red Fel
2016-04-07, 12:59 PM
Seeing as how she is in the militia, to get further backing, she would need to get promoted, or just do the best she can without casting any suspicion from her superiors. I have gotten a bit of feedback from one of the DM's on my game, and they say it's possible to be both DC and in the Militia, I just don't really have a lot of ideas on how to do that.

Step one: Step down from your post. Either you're using your position to glorify Loviatar by showing how noble her followers are - which I don't think will get you DC status - or you need to step away from the distraction.

Here's what I mean. If one can become a Divine Champion simply by standing out as an exemplar of society, and then proclaiming, "Everything I do, everything I earn, it is all in the name and glory of Loviatar," then you can stay in the militia and keep sanctifying your success in the name of your deity. But it strikes me that, if it were that easy, every captain of the guard could be a DC. That, and proclaiming Loviatar's greatness - unless you're in an LE region - is a great way to lose your position.

No, you need to go and undertake a great undertaking. And you can't do that while tied down to your obligations. A religious hero frequently has to sacrifice everything - including the life they knew - in pursuit of their deity's glory. That's what your PC wants to do, so step one is resigning. That's not to say you can't help, and it's not to say you can't return once you've achieved your goal, but for now, your deity demands your whole dedication.

I know I need to like.. go on holy missions in the name of Loviatar. My thing is like, how do I convince people to come with me and help me? She needs to be open about who she worships, and she is, but people think she is shady, so why would they want to help her? How can she bribe people to go with her on her missions?

Here's the thing. Your PC is the one trying for greatness. Not your PC and friends. Just the one person. So her crusade, fittingly, should start out alone. Don't look at it as "How can I gather followers to succeed in my crusade?" Look at it as "How can I succeed in my crusade?" People will flock to you as you grow in renown, and you will do so as you endeavor alone. Start alone; the followers, if any, will follow.

Loviatar is an unusual kind of LE. Not the typical schemer and manipulator like I enjoy; she's more severe, like Hextor, in many ways. Less plotting, more severity. So to draw followers, you follow a "tough but fair" policy. Loyalty, service, and strength are rewarded; disobedience, insolence, betrayal, and weakness are brutally punished. You'd be surprised how forthcoming people will be with someone who is so transparent. People will flock to a banner if they known that their loyalty will be rewarded; they will appreciate being treated fairly (until such time as punishment is required).

If she makes herself known in the militia, she will have support. Militia privilege= "Gorestag" covering her ass if she does evil stuff if she bribes him.
Authority= She can order people to submit to the law, or suffer pain.. ETC.

Perhaps. But becoming a DC means exalting your deity's name. And hiding behind privilege, while useful, isn't exalting Loviatar; it's being ashamed of her.

So.. Ways to obtain Divine Champion status.

Go on missions to seek out holy relics of Loviatar.
Get people to join by using militia backing of her missions. "For the sake of the city. I'm in the militia so I have the say." Etc.

There's this big necromancer plot going on right now.
There's a big doppleganger plot going on right now.
There's quite a few things I could probably use to my advantage, I just lack the creativity sometimes I think. Any advice or opinions or if you think I could give any more information, that would be appreciated.

-Purple_Diamond

Let's review. What is Loviatar about? Brutality. Severity. Cruelty. Purging.

Want to undertake a divine crusade for Loviatar? Find a place that requires the scourge. A place where Goodness and light have rendered people soft, weak, and foolish. Bring the scourge. Crack the whip. Break them of their indolence; remind them of their flaws and weakness. Offer the people hope in pain. Show them the truth that can only be found in agony. Bring this city to its knees, bring its leaders to the ground, and rebuild it in the glorious image and message of Loviatar.

If you want to use your militia connections, lead the militia on raids. Use them to help rebuild and dominate the city. Expand the reach of the militia in this way. They'll be onboard with it. Raise a cathedral to Loviatar where the town hall used to be. Dedicate this glorious purge to the Maiden of Pain.

Start there, I think.