PDA

View Full Version : [Spoiler] Okay, is it obvious to anyone else something will happen to Roy's corpse?

Charles Phipps
2007-06-21, 10:18 PM
They're going on a quest to retrieve the body and carry it off. There's no way that this is not going to go off without a hitch.

Who wants to place money on this?

Do I hear 10 gp?

20?

Even a copper here?

Omnipotent_One
2007-06-21, 10:20 PM
Eh, it'd be pretty uneventful if nothing happened at all.

Otherwise rich wouldn't be making such a big deal about haley and belkar going to get it.

TheNovak
2007-06-21, 10:21 PM
I absolutely will not bet against it.

What's the encumbrence penalty to skill checks for a heavy load?

Kreistor
2007-06-21, 10:24 PM
No, I'm betting on a clean recovery. The Giant has bogged this part of the story down enough.

He might have some interesting events concerning the MitD and O-Chul, but those are always based on humour.

Tolkien_Freak
2007-06-21, 10:27 PM
Just a reminder, you're supposed to put [spoiler] in the heading.

Maybe it WILL go off without a hitch. Too early to say, though.

Gavin Sage
2007-06-21, 10:35 PM
Depends on what one means by "hitch" as I don't think it will be a major delay. The fairly stringent conditions on Raise Dead wouldn't allow for that long a separation. Can things still happen that will take a strip or two, sure.

Scarab83
2007-06-21, 10:39 PM
I wonder how sneaky those two will be able to be when they're dragging around a platemail wearing corpse through enemy controlled territory.

Ithekro
2007-06-21, 11:22 PM
Well in theory they have about 30 strips to pull this all off.

Jawajoey
2007-06-21, 11:23 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if something surprising happened, (hehe, paradoxical), but who says it shouldn't go off without a hitch? Roy is a corpse, and they have to retrieve it. It's not like there is any reasonable course of action that doesn't involve attempting to get the body, so it's possible that there is not meant to be any more immediate plot associated with this event, but they'll still be getting the body.

If it were optional, if they were say, exploiting a misunderstanding to take advantage of the hospitality of a hotel, sure I would expect some conflict, because that has side-plot written all over it. But this isn't necessarily a side-plot, because no matter what, it has to be part of the plot.

Spiky
2007-06-21, 11:40 PM
You hate Roy.
Roy is dead.

Shouldn't you be happy and stop the I Hate Roy threads?

Aevii
2007-06-21, 11:54 PM
I suspect the death of Tsukiko will be involved. She's looking for corpses to animate, after all, and Roy's still in one piece. Mostly.

Ithekro
2007-06-21, 11:57 PM
Well if this is a small quest, then they each get one random encounter before they reach their objective in each direction...right?

Shatteredtower
2007-06-21, 11:59 PM
I wonder how sneaky those two will be able to be when they're dragging around a platemail wearing corpse through enemy controlled territory.Here's where we get into one of those funny anomalies in the rules.

A dwarf walking around in full plate mail makes more noise than is made by that dwarf if carried by some guy with slightly better Dexterity and a lighter suit of armor -- even if that dwarf pushes the carrier into the heavy load category.

Incidentally, Roy isn't wearing full plate. His Move Silently checks are considerably better than Durkon's, and I'm pretty sure that's not all Dexterity. :smallwink: Having said that, however, they're still going to want to lighten that load as much as possible. Even if Belkar's up to 18 Strength by now, he's small, which would make anything over 150 lbs a heavy load for him. Split between him and Haley, that might not be a problem, though I can think of one humourous reason it might not be a problem at all. Even so, it would still be a good idea to stuff all of Roy's gear, including his armor, into that bag of holding.

Well, okay, most of Roy's gear. The sword would be a very, very bad idea.

TigerHunter
2007-06-22, 12:08 AM
I suspect the death of Tsukiko will be involved. She's looking for corpses to animate, after all, and Roy's still in one piece. Mostly.
1. Please no. Tsukiko is awesome, and a new member of Team Evil would be great.
2. Why would she be outside the city in the first place? I doubt she's got enough spells prepared to run out of corpses.

TigerHunter
2007-06-22, 12:10 AM
Well, okay, most of Roy's gear. The sword would be a very, very bad idea.
Can Bags of Holding get ruptured from the inside? I assumed that they only broke if cut on the outside.

Scarab83
2007-06-22, 12:12 AM
I think the rules state that it CAN be punctured from the inside. However, the person currently DMing the game I'm in never really enforces it.

Shatteredtower
2007-06-22, 12:23 AM
Yeah, the rules state that the bag can be punctured from either side. Admittedly, that's not really a problem if the sword is firmly sheathed.

Aquillion
2007-06-22, 12:35 AM
I don't think anyone actually enforces that. The thing is, taking away large amounts of the player's gear is near the top on Things Not To Do As a DM, no matter how much the situation requires it, no matter how realistic or gloves-off you want to be, and no matter how much of a challenge your group wants. It just generally isn't any fun at all for the players.

Dying is fine. Level-drains or poison are fine. Temporarily losing class abilities, failing critical missions, having a single valuable item destroyed through some mishap or another whatever... all of that is day-to-day adventurer stuff.

Losing everything in an instant, though--everything you've been collecting over all the sessions over the past month or so, with no die rolls involved and no hope of recovery? That's a sucker-punch to the gut. The DMG even recommends against running plotlines that are intended to have the players get captured, since even temporarily taking everything away is so very far from fun.

Kavotruo
2007-06-22, 01:02 AM
They can call Celia.

factotum
2007-06-22, 01:10 AM
I think the split of the Order may well last considerably longer than expected, but I don't know what'll cause that.

Perhaps Hinjo etc. are forced to leave in a hurry because a force of hobgoblins is threatening his junk, leaving Haley and the rest to meet up later as best they can.

Charles Phipps
2007-06-22, 01:38 AM
You hate Roy.
Roy is dead.

Shouldn't you be happy and stop the I Hate Roy threads?

I don't hate Roy.

I just find it silly people assume he's coming back. Immediately or otherwise.

factotum
2007-06-22, 04:04 AM
I just find it silly people assume he's coming back. Immediately or otherwise.

It's a world where Raise Dead and Resurrection are available--where Durkon, one of Roy's best friends, is capable of casting them! The logo at the top of the comics page is still Roy, as well. Given those facts, it's perhaps more bizarre to assume that he ISN'T coming back than that he is...

Castamir
2007-06-22, 04:25 AM
I don't think anyone actually enforces that. The thing is, taking away large amounts of the player's gear is near the top on Things Not To Do As a DM, no matter how much the situation requires it, no matter how realistic or gloves-off you want to be, and no matter how much of a challenge your group wants. It just generally isn't any fun at all for the players.

Losing everything in an instant, though--everything you've been collecting over all the sessions over the past month or so, with no die rolls involved and no hope of recovery? That's a sucker-punch to the gut.
Dammit. Could you tell this to the NetHack DevTeam, please?

Alfryd
2007-06-22, 05:01 AM
The DMG even recommends against running plotlines that are intended to have the players get captured, since even temporarily taking everything away is so very far from fun.
This wouldn't be such a problem if improvements to AC weren't almost entirely dependant on items, or D&D vaguely understood what 'parrying' meant.

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-22, 05:15 AM
Perhaps Belkar'll find an easier way to "carry" Roy: Let him be turned into a zombie, lure him back al a Ed and use him as a video game buddy destroy him so he can be resurrected.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-06-22, 05:16 AM
Dammit. Could you tell this to the NetHack DevTeam, please?

The DevTeam thinks of Everything. I've had my share of YADD moments, such as falling through a trapdoor into a bones level surrounded by dire rats, sewer rats and wererats, along with the ghost of a very angry ex-human ranger (Whom I had jokingly named Roy Greenhilt) as a lvl 5 rogue.
Needless to say, that bones level now has two ghosts in it.
I've also been zapped to sleep and wailed upon by a werejackel... lycanthropes are the bane of my NetHack charecter's existance)

Personally, I think the DevTeam wants to butcher and humiliate you in every way possible.

teratorn
2007-06-22, 05:54 AM
My guess:

Vultures got him, so they put his stuff inside a bag and Belkar just picks his skull, a new friend to the EFF. Unless V's been busy keeping the vultures away.

Miklus
2007-06-22, 06:19 AM
I wonder if Belkar can restrain himself from stabbing a Hobbo or setting something on fire long enough to go though with this plan. I think not. :smallwink:

Aethir
2007-06-22, 06:25 AM
I'm pretty sure there's not going to be a problem getting the body back for some reason. Seems like the arc is coming to a close so adding something like a subplot in might add too many strips.
What I want to know is what Belkar is going to do to Roy's body once they retrieve it.
After all, it's something he can stab all he likes, even in a city, until they score the diamonds to raise him.

Basha
2007-06-22, 07:04 AM

Dying is fine. Level-drains or poison are fine. Temporarily losing class abilities, failing critical missions, having a single valuable item destroyed through some mishap or another whatever... all of that is day-to-day adventurer stuff.

Losing everything in an instant, though--everything you've been collecting over all the sessions over the past month or so, with no die rolls involved and no hope of recovery? That's a sucker-punch to the gut. The DMG even recommends against running plotlines that are intended to have the players get captured, since even temporarily taking everything away is so very far from fun.

Well, I have gamed with DM who would say, and have said in one case:"Oh, you sure remember you put that spear into that bag of holding? Well, if you do...." We all had to laugh, because none of us had actually realized, that when the spear was being put inside the bag, the damage was bound to happen. It turned out to be not so much of a problem, because the PCs kept most of their important magic items on them, and put mostly coins and jewelry into the bag. So it was not losing everything. Admittedly, if the PCs had to put everything in one bag, it could spoil the session. But, live goes on, and thankfully, most swords are sheathed.

As for the side-plot, I think there will be one, although I have no idea what it could be about. Maybe it is good that I leave writing web-comics to others...:smallsmile:

Scutatus
2007-06-22, 07:48 AM
SPOILER!

I think Roy is dead so that he can properly discuss matters with his dead father - or even lord Shojo himself - and be given lots of real insights as to what to do and where to go before being brought back ala Gandalf the White Wizard to "finish the job I started".

What happens to Roy's body in the meantime? Um... I've no idea. Posessed perhaps? A spirit takes over Roy's body, which is, after all, now "vacant". So we have dozens of strips with the Order just trying to exorcise him?

squidthingy
2007-06-22, 08:24 AM
srry if this has been said before but, it is very likely that Mitd came across roy's body and had him join the tea party as he did O-chul

Quikngruvn
2007-06-22, 10:00 AM
What I want to know is what Belkar is going to do to Roy's body once they retrieve it.
After all, it's something he can stab all he likes, even in a city, until they score the diamonds to raise him.

First: get his Ring of Jumping off of Roy's cold dead hand.
Second: kick Roy while he's down. Repeatedly.

What if:
Haley and Belkar realize that the quickest way for them to get across the battlefield is by stuffing both Belkar and Roy's corpse into the Bag? I mean, besides Haley needing to run back to the docks in under 10 minutes, and Belkar being in close proximity to (as in, right on top of) Roy's corpse in the Bag.

If the Bag's big enough, they can stuff O-Chul's body in as well. Then Belkar can whale away on Roy's corpse and the paralyzed (and probably dead)
paladin. But will he remember to not use his daggers?

srry if this has been said before but, it is very likely that Mitd came across roy's body and had him join the tea party as he did O-chul

Unlikely, because the MitD isn't moving now that his tea party is in full swing. Besides, the MitD didn't go get O-Chul, O-Chul just dropped in unexpectedly.

yoshi927
2007-06-22, 10:14 AM
First: get his Ring of Jumping off of Roy's cold dead hand.
Second: kick Roy while he's down. Repeatedly.

What if:
Haley and Belkar realize that the quickest way for them to get across the battlefield is by stuffing both Belkar and Roy's corpse into the Bag? I mean, besides Haley needing to run back to the docks in under 10 minutes, and Belkar being in close proximity to (as in, right on top of) Roy's corpse in the Bag.

If the Bag's big enough, they can stuff O-Chul's body in as well. Then Belkar can whale away on Roy's corpse and the paralyzed (and probably dead)
paladin. But will he remember to not use his daggers?

Unlikely, because the MitD isn't moving now that his tea party is in full swing. Besides, the MitD didn't go get O-Chul, O-Chul just dropped in unexpectedly.

In response to the spoiler block; there's no air in a bag of holding, so in that case Belkar would also die.

Quikngruvn
2007-06-22, 10:27 AM
In response to the spoiler block; there's no air in a bag of holding, so in that case Belkar would also die.

There's ten minutes worth of air in a Bag of Holding, hence the "ten minutes" statement in the spoiler. I'd link to the SRD entry for the Bag of Holding but the site appears to be down.

[added] Here's the link to the Bag of Holding (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bagofHolding) entry. The site appears to be up now.

kirbsys
2007-06-22, 10:45 AM
Plus all she'd have to do is remember to open the thing every once and a while. Or "forget" and then they'd just need an extra diamond.

GeekDaddy
2007-06-22, 10:50 AM
All I know is that I have been waiting for weeks to see the strips of Roy and Celia prancing across the plains of The Great Hunting Ground or whatever good-aligned plane he heads off to.

Hel65
2007-06-22, 10:59 AM
So you say we're getting close to the end of next book. I bet on dramatic, Empire Strikes Back -like ending. Hinjo, Elan and Durkon sail off, Roy stays dead for longer, one or two of Haley, Belkar and V get captured and the rest gets stranded in the Azure City, trying to rescue the captured.

Furin_Mirado
2007-06-22, 11:09 AM
If they know what the talisman is all about then they'll probably use it to summon Celia and get her to fly Roy to the port so they can sneak back. But I'm not sure they even know about the talisman, so that might not be possible.

vrox
2007-06-22, 12:05 PM
<p><small>Nah. I just think they're gonna get Roy back and bring him back to life. I really think that's about it.</p></small>

Woof
2007-06-22, 12:23 PM

I don't think it's likely at all. He's got O-Chul with him, which means he's entertained, why should he go out and look around for a random corpse to add to his tea party? /shrug. If anything he would have gone out to look for a victim before the "unexpected guest" arrived. Not now.

Demented
2007-06-22, 12:52 PM
I know what will happen. Belkar will happen.

:belkar:

Shatteredtower
2007-06-22, 01:47 PM
I don't think anyone actually enforces that.Hi. You stand corrected.

The thing is, taking away large amounts of the player's gear is near the top on Things Not To Do As a DM...Look, if players can't remember simple advice about not putting all of their eggs into one basket, that's their problem. Caveat emptor.

It just generally isn't any fun at all for the players.Then they shouldn't put uncovered sharp objects into a bag of holding. It's not like your typical player has no clue about what a steak knife will do to a plastic or paper bag -- and it's not like it's that hard to eliminate the hazard before stuffing a spear into your extradimensional space.

Dying is fine.Tell it to someone devoured by a barghest. At least that can be chalked up to bad luck, rather than being careless.

Losing everything in an instant, though--everything you've been collecting over all the sessions over the past month or so, with no die rolls involved and no hope of recovery?But at least a valuable lesson was learned.

Character death tends to hurt me more than the players involved, but I have a hard time feeling sympathy for people that invest everything in one very fragile resource. I'm very unlikely to ever have that resource attacked (stolen, maybe), but I'm not going to protect them from the consequences of their own misuse of the product.

Black of Night
2007-06-22, 01:48 PM

I second that!

Shatteredtower
2007-06-22, 02:08 PM
I second that!Yeah, that does seem most likely, doesn't it?

Very well stated, however.

Puck
2007-06-22, 02:13 PM
Of course something is going to happen. Eitherwise, they'd just handwave it, and get on with things.

Havael
2007-06-22, 03:14 PM
If they know what the talisman is all about then they'll probably use it to summon Celia and get her to fly Roy to the port so they can sneak back. But I'm not sure they even know about the talisman, so that might not be possible.
Haley does know (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0320.html).

Scarab83
2007-06-22, 03:49 PM
Hi. You stand corrected.

Look, if players can't remember simple advice about not putting all of their eggs into one basket, that's their problem. Caveat emptor.

Then they shouldn't put uncovered sharp objects into a bag of holding. It's not like your typical player has no clue about what a steak knife will do to a plastic or paper bag -- and it's not like it's that hard to eliminate the hazard before stuffing a spear into your extradimensional space.

Tell it to someone devoured by a barghest. At least that can be chalked up to bad luck, rather than being careless.

But at least a valuable lesson was learned.

Character death tends to hurt me more than the players involved, but I have a hard time feeling sympathy for people that invest everything in one very fragile resource. I'm very unlikely to ever have that resource attacked (stolen, maybe), but I'm not going to protect them from the consequences of their own misuse of the product.

I'm glad you're not my DM.. No offense, I have no problem with you enforcing that rule.. since it IS a rule, but it is rather crushing to lose everything you've worked for just because you forgot to specifically state that you were sheathing the weapon and then sticking it in the bag, as opposed to just assuming you did that.

the mysterian
2007-06-22, 04:20 PM
roy gets mutilated and belkar has to carry one of body parts, making raise dead an impossibilty.

Puck
2007-06-22, 05:11 PM
roy gets mutilated and belkar has to carry one of body parts, making raise dead an impossibilty.

Actually, a Make Whole spell would do just fine, and it's a mere 2nd level spell:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/makeWhole.htm

It doesn't effect creatures, but it does affect corpses.

As long as you have all the pieces.

maitreyi
2007-06-22, 05:16 PM
[QUOTE=factotum;2776311]I think the split of the Order may well last considerably longer than expected, but I don't know what'll cause that.

I disagree, I think that within the next twelve strips everyone will be reunited (including a living Roy) and on their way to their next adventure.:smallsmile:

Mighty_ren
2007-06-22, 05:22 PM
I smell Weekend at Roy's.

Haley, Belkar and the re-visible V have to manually animate Roy's corpse to convince the bad guys he is alive for unspecified reasons. With hilarious consequences.

Shatteredtower
2007-06-22, 05:32 PM
I'm glad you're not my DM.. No offense, I have no problem with you enforcing that rule.. since it IS a rule, but it is rather crushing to lose everything you've worked for just because you forgot to specifically state that you were sheathing the weapon and then sticking it in the bag, as opposed to just assuming you did that.Oh, don't get me wrong. In cases like that, I'm at least going to hint that such a thing would be bad. If I can assume there's a scabbard for the weapon, I'm more than happy to assume that you used it when putting it away (since that's what you'd do if it was strapped to your side).

But what the heck are you doing putting everything you own into an item that can be stolen rather easily from you anyway? There's a limit to how hard I'll work to avoid letting people who do that screw themselves over, I'm afraid. :smallwink:

eilandesq
2007-06-22, 06:46 PM
Belkar's patented and thoroughly Chaotic Evil method for retrieving Roy's body:

--strip body of stuff, dump the stuff in bag of holding with Roy's sword;

--you only need part of a body for a Resurrection spell (which Durkon is high enough level to cast), and they'll need one to bring him back anyway after the impact and the vultures having worked the corpse over. Belkar cuts off Roy's head and uses the EoFaF to incinerate the rest of the body so that it doesn't get animated (or desecrated, but Belkar doesn't care about that);

--take head back to Durkon, who casts Resurrection whenever it is convenient;

--Belkar explains in great detail to Roy what was done to his body and revels in Roy's outrage. :smallcool:

Puck
2007-06-22, 07:42 PM
I smell Weekend at Roy's.

Haley, Belkar and the re-visible V have to manually animate Roy's corpse to convince the bad guys he is alive for unspecified reasons. With hilarious consequences.

You know, I laughed out loud when I read that.

I think you may be right.

Aquillion
2007-06-22, 07:45 PM
Belkar's patented and thoroughly Chaotic Evil method for retrieving Roy's body:

--strip body of stuff, dump the stuff in bag of holding with Roy's sword;

--you only need part of a body for a Resurrection spell (which Durkon is high enough level to cast), and they'll need one to bring him back anyway after the impact and the vultures having worked the corpse over. Belkar cuts off Roy's head and uses the EoFaF to incinerate the rest of the body so that it doesn't get animated (or desecrated, but Belkar doesn't care about that);

--take head back to Durkon, who casts Resurrection whenever it is convenient;

--Belkar explains in great detail to Roy what was done to his body and revels in Roy's outrage. :smallcool: Except that Resurrection costs twice as much. They might cut off a tiny piece of skin in case an emergency prevents them from carrying the larger body all the way to Durkon, but they should at least try to bring the whole thing so he can be brought back more cheaply.

eilandesq
2007-06-22, 08:18 PM
Actually, a Make Whole spell would do just fine, and it's a mere 2nd level spell:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/makeWhole.htm

It doesn't effect creatures, but it does affect corpses.

As long as you have all the pieces.

Which raises an interesting question of stick figure physiology--can vultures get at eyeballs that are concealed by "x"s? ]:-)

Charles Phipps
2007-06-22, 08:35 PM
It's a world where Raise Dead and Resurrection are available--where Durkon, one of Roy's best friends, is capable of casting them! The logo at the top of the comics page is still Roy, as well. Given those facts, it's perhaps more bizarre to assume that he ISN'T coming back than that he is...

He's Gone, like Black Belt, ACCEPT IT.

Like Mickey Mouse, just being on the logo does not mean you have an active career.

He died fighting Xykon, that's enough.

BRC
2007-06-22, 08:46 PM

New signature

Mad Scientist
2007-06-22, 09:04 PM
Here's my thought:
I think it would be hilarious if V happened to retrieve Roy's corpse during the few hours between going invisible and having the castle explode. Even with a heavy load, V has enough of a head start to beat the rest of the oots to the ship. V could assume that the rest of the team got blown up, convince the captain to sail away, and rez roy. Haley and Belkar will frantically look for Roy's body, sadly head to the docks and meet up with Durkon, Elan, Hinjo, and red shirts that evening. Everyone will be crying and ready to die when V will appear in the sunset with the boat and save the day.

David Argall
2007-06-22, 09:41 PM
Here's my thought:
I think it would be hilarious if V happened to retrieve Roy's corpse during the few hours between going invisible and having the castle explode. Even with a heavy load, V has enough of a head start to beat the rest of the oots to the ship. V could assume that the rest of the team got blown up, convince the captain to sail away, and rez roy. Haley and Belkar will frantically look for Roy's body, sadly head to the docks and meet up with Durkon, Elan, Hinjo, and red shirts that evening. Everyone will be crying and ready to die when V will appear in the sunset with the boat and save the day.

V gets only 13 or so minutes of invisibility, and we are told it is 3 miles to the dock, which means a minimum of 2 miles visibly carrying the body and 1 mile of everybody seeing this body float on by. [Well, maybe that will pass muster].
Then we are told V has a strength penalty, which means Roy is not just a heavy load, but well beyond that. V can do no more than pull Roy along the ground at a very slow rate. It will take the elf at least 3 hours to get Roy to the docks.
And if the elf managed this, and got to the ship, the ship would not sail away and come back. Once away, it is gone.
So not much chance.

Luggage
2007-06-22, 09:53 PM
I think Team Evil's going to get a new member.

I mean, we've been teased with the prospect of a Blackguard enough...

Gales
2007-06-22, 11:22 PM
I doubt that anything is going to happen to Roy's body, but instead, Belkar will get seriously hurt somehow (for example Tsukiko notices them when they think they're going undetected and attacks them when they reach Roy, attempts to kill them, but dies/flees in the end), and Haley has to make a choice: to save a good friend's corpse or nearly unbearable teammate's life

Demented
2007-06-22, 11:44 PM
That's a dilemma? Belkar can take care of himself!

More likely that Haley gets wounded and Belkar has to make the decision. Not that it's really much of a dilemma there, either. Belkar is going nowhere without Roy.

Maybe they both get wounded and Roy has to... No, wait, he's dead.

Gales
2007-06-23, 12:06 AM
No, now I got it, Roy's body burst in flames for no apparent reason. The pun for the comic will be "roysted."

Sigbru
2007-06-23, 10:44 AM

Can Belkar (who can only use the EoFaF) and Haley beat her ? i don't see it coming

eilandesq
2007-06-23, 11:15 AM
Can Belkar (who can only use the EoFaF) and Haley beat her ? i don't see it coming

They'll probably be outside the city, in which case Belkar can Ginsu her at will and with great gusto.

mohair_ninja
2007-06-23, 11:34 AM
along with the ghost of a very angry ex-human ranger (Whom I had jokingly named Roy Greenhilt) as a lvl 5 rogue.

When I last played Falcon's Eye (graphical frontend to NetHack), I created chaotic elven male wizard (similar to Vaarsuvius), named his kitten "Blackfoot" (coz cat named Blackwing looks silly) and rushed through the dungeon. The first amulet he found (and I love to test unidentified items, my silly curiosity) was Amulet of Gender Change, which disappeared after putting on. Coincidence? :smallbiggrin:

(Later he/she was killed by water demons. My silly curiosity and quaffing water from the fountains.)

Snipers_Promise
2007-06-23, 12:23 PM
When I last played Falcon's Eye (graphical frontend to NetHack), I created chaotic elven male wizard (similar to Vaarsuvius), named his kitten "Blackfoot" (coz cat named Blackwing looks silly) and rushed through the dungeon. The first amulet he found (and I love to test unidentified items, my silly curiosity) was Amulet of Gender Change, which disappeared after putting on. Coincidence? :smallbiggrin:

(Later he/she was killed by water demons. My silly curiosity and quaffing water from the fountains.)

The water is dangerous young one. IT WILL EAT YOUR SOUL. That is all.

Kish
2007-06-23, 02:31 PM

NO.

(Damn, this would have been so much better if I didn't need more letters.)

fruityjanitor
2007-06-23, 06:25 PM

Like Mickey Mouse, just being on the logo does not mean you have an active career.

He died fighting Xykon, that's enough.

Black Belt was the least important of the main characters in 8-bit theater, while Roy is the most important (at least to the central plot) character in the OOTS.

Also, you do remember that Black Mage and Red Mage both died while fighting fiends (well, Red Mage didn't really die, but it seemed like he did) and now they are both alive and kicking...

I'm not saying it is impossible that Roy stays dead for the rest of the comic, but I am saying that it is much less likely than him getting revived at some point. It is the Giant's story though so he can do whatever he wants with it. No amount of arguing any of us does will prove anything. We can only wait and see.

Arssanguinus
2007-06-23, 07:30 PM
They're going on a quest to retrieve the body and carry it off. There's no way that this is not going to go off without a hitch.

Who wants to place money on this?

Do I hear 10 gp?

20?

Even a copper here?

YOu are way too invested in wanting Roy dead to be healthy.

Arssanguinus
2007-06-23, 07:43 PM
Charles. a little bet. .will you put something of our choice in your signature to replace your snarky signature when Roy is brought back?

Demented
2007-06-23, 08:31 PM
I vote for "Your Miko is dead, son."

Unless she comes back. In that case, erm... Some Belkar fanart would do excellently.
"Sexy shoeless god of war indeed."

kirbsys
2007-06-23, 08:33 PM
I think that since we've been argueing about it, Rich'll have them just appear at the junk with the body, no further explanation.

That, or like somebody said, Belkar will happen.