PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Mounted Combat

theboss
2016-04-07, 01:46 PM
Can you explain this feat to me? What CR creature im allowed to take? Am i allowed to take flying creatures and if so what CR can they be?
Thanks in advance. Im level 15

EDIT :1). I'd also like to know how's the charge works with a mount.
2).How trip works with it.
3). Does it increase reach?

Red Fel
2016-04-07, 02:13 PM
Alright. Let's go through this one question at a time. First, here is the feat in question: Mounted Combat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#mountedCombat). The relevant text:

Once per round when your mount is hit in combat, you may attempt a Ride check (as a reaction) to negate the hit. The hit is negated if your Ride check result is greater than the opponent’s attack roll. (Essentially, the Ride check result becomes the mount’s Armor Class if it’s higher than the mount’s regular AC.)

Now, your questions.

What CR creature im allowed to take? Am i allowed to take flying creatures and if so what CR can they be?

You're not "taking" any creature. It uses whatever mount you already have. If you don't have a mount, this doesn't give one to you.

EDIT :1). I'd also like to know how's the charge works with a mount.

Okay. Here's a section on mounted combat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#mountedCombat). Here's what it says about charges.

When you attack a creature smaller than your mount that is on foot, you get the +1 bonus on melee attacks for being on higher ground. If your mount moves more than 5 feet, you can only make a single melee attack. Essentially, you have to wait until the mount gets to your enemy before attacking, so you can’t make a full attack. Even at your mount’s full speed, you don’t take any penalty on melee attacks while mounted.

If your mount charges, you also take the AC penalty associated with a charge. If you make an attack at the end of the charge, you receive the bonus gained from the charge. When charging on horseback, you deal double damage with a lance.

So, if you charge, you still only make one attack at the end, and you still take the AC penalty from charging. The key difference is that you use your mount's movement instead of your own.

2).How trip works with it.

Well, if someone is tripping your mount, they make the trip attempt against your mount, not you. If you are tripping someone else, you do so normally.

3). Does it increase reach?

No. But it does increase space.

A horse (not a pony) is a Large creature and thus takes up a space 10 feet (2 squares) across. For simplicity, assume that you share your mount’s space during combat.

So you're taking up a larger space than usual. This might require you to use a reach weapon, in some circumstances.

KillianHawkeye
2016-04-07, 02:14 PM
What feat are you thinking of? The actual feat called Mounted Combat doesn't give you any kind of mount, it just lets you use your riding skill to protect a mount that you're riding.

Flickerdart
2016-04-07, 02:15 PM
So you're taking up a larger space than usual. This might require you to use a reach weapon, in some circumstances.

You never need to use a reach weapon. In the case of an extra-large mount with reach, you might want to, but as long as your mount is adjacent to something, you can attack it with your sword, even if the mount is Colossal.

theboss
2016-04-07, 03:19 PM
Well, if someone is tripping your mount, they make the trip attempt against your mount, not you. If you are tripping someone else, you do so normally.
If somone is tripping my mount the roll is against the mount bonus? not mine?

No. But it does increase space.

Im Large tho, so it doesnt really matter.

As i was saying, im large so i geuss im fine.

Then i need to buy my mount? and if so how much does a gryphon cost?

KillianHawkeye
2016-04-07, 05:39 PM
If you are Large, then your mount needs to be Huge (or larger).

Also of note, trip attempts made directly against you while you're mounted will have the bonus effect of pulling you out of the saddle if successful. Trips against your mount will logically bring you both down.