PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Shows like...

russdm
2016-04-07, 04:27 PM
I have seen The Gamers Dorkness Rising, JourneyQuest, Standard Action, Astropia, The Guild, Knights of Badassdom, Acquisitions Incorporated, and the second D&D movie plus first with additional of Scottish gamer(s/z) movie. There is also the bioware Felicia day show. I have enjoyed them.

Are there other shows/series that are basically playthroughs of roleplaying type games? Are there any Youtube channels that feature these? I am looking for ones that funny and interested, but with a only little amount of actual adult content or the content stays general public friendly-not much swearing, not at lot of adult comments?

A side note: How much interest is there in more stories like Journey Quest or Standard Action or The Gamers Dorkness Rising? Is there interest in stories of people playing tabletop games and would people really be interested in getting that? I ask because I have a book idea that features a group of friends playing tabletop games, and I wasn't exactly sure if it was worth writing or not. Plus, I have a possible story idea like those, but still don't know if it was worth writing out a pilot script. Don't want to start one when there may not be enough interest.

russdm
2016-04-08, 06:18 PM
Thinking the webseries would happen in fantasy place with a group of semi-newbie adventurers getting pulled into a bigger adventure. 5 members in the group, aspiring to be heroes

For book, I was thinking that a female person would join a group of players (comprising of 2-3 women, and the rest males) who played a few different RPGs, and that later, she would get involved with a couple of players in their non game activities. Group would be around 5 or 6 to play, with a DM/GM, with the newbie (to the group, not to most of the games) joining in as an additional player. RPGs: FFG Star Wars, D&D maybe, Shadowrun, others maybe.

(Have a number of hits, but no comments yet...)

JoshL
2016-04-08, 07:25 PM
You've got most of the good ones already. I also liked the Monday Knights and Walking In Circles a lot. The film Unicorn City was pretty fun (if you ignore the fact that the plot kinda doesn't make sense). Oh, and The Wild Hunt was GREAT (takes place at a LARP) and intense. I never quite got into the podcast thing, but there's a lot of gaming table podcasts/playthroughs that I've heard good things about, some scripted, some not, some pseudo-scripted. The Gamers group occasionally does some live performances; there's a bunch on youtube and they're pretty fun. There's a local troupe here in Pittsburgh that does a similar concept, but I've heard the humor is more "laugh at the nerds" rather than "laugh with the nerds" so I haven't checked them out yet.

Anyway, yeah, this is definitely one of my interests! I'd say write it out, or if you were going for the webseries first, maybe do an outline/treatment and show it to some folks you're hoping to work with. And if you do it, please be sure to post it here, because I want to see it!

russdm
2016-04-09, 12:27 AM
I am going with the name: Slaying Dragons for both book and webseries. I have a bunch of ideas made up already, could start writing a script soon, if I thought it was worth it. Same with book, almost ready to go if it looks interesting.

Am calling it Slaying Dragons, because it has a nice fantasy feel to it and the heroes will probably end up fighting both literal and metaphorical dragons.

So, for webseries, I have a temporary outline:

5 adventurers return from having gone a dungeon delve, and are at the tavern relaxing when one of their number gets accosted by an old man who has confused this person with the actual prophesied chosen one. The old man questions the person, then gives this person a special quest item, then dies.

At another location, the main villain (or maybe starting villain, the actual true villain may change) hears about how the chosen one is supposed to be at the tavern. Villain sends their dragon to retrieve the chosen one using a bunch of new recruits and the elite unit. Villain has Dragon use own judgment to retrieve them.

The adventurers carry out another quest and then return. The Villain's Dragon arrives to attack the tavern to capture the chosen one. The true chosen one shows up late, while the mistaken one gets hauled away to villain with a couple of the other adventurers. The true chosen one goes to rescue the mistaken one.

The mistaken chosen one spends time with villain, and begins agreeing with them, before events occur. Then the true chosen one shows up for the rescue, and dies. The group, minus a few members, and having added a few new ones, escape.

Mistaken chosen one gets advice on how to proceed from true chosen one, who dies finally, and then goes off on new quest.

(I feel that this is quite a bit for a pilot, and more suitable for a full season. I have some characters ideas as well and at least the first villain picked out with dragon. I think the outline needs some modification to work better for character wise and plot wise)

What do people think?

Edit: I also have ideas for a Halo based series. Later, I will true to post some material up from both Webseries and possible Halo series.

russdm
2016-04-29, 05:51 PM
I have had an idea for a show where a Starbucks Barista ends up in fantasy land while the Barista's sister tries to find her. IT would be called "Between Two Worlds" and be the adventures of the barista in the fantasy.

I am going to try to write up scripts for these ideas: 1) Slaying Dragons, for the mistaken chosen one series; 2) Between Two Worlds, for starbucks Barista teleported into fantasy world; 3) Halo: Sigma, for the Halo story idea.

After stuff has been written, then I think I have to try to get them made.

Freemason Than
2016-04-30, 04:59 AM
Check out Critical Role. It's a playthrough of an actual D&D campaign, played by well-known voice actors.

Short version:
- Everyone is a voice actor, so all the characters and NPC's actually have a completely unique sound and style.
- The DM is by far the best I've ever seen in action.
- There's no script. There's no planning. And there's no live studio audience to hoot and holler at every forced joke. They're actually just playing D&D.
- It's a much more realistic take on D&D than most web series. And because of that, a lot more informative too.
- The videos are pretty long (4-5 hours per session) so there's a lot of content. It also means there will be some boring bits, so don't go in expecting a 2-hour performance full of jokes and skits that are clearly made with the audience in mind.

Fishybugs
2016-05-03, 09:18 PM
And speaking of Critical Role (one of my favorites as well) their DM, Matt Mercer, is in a series of movies with the old TV Hercules Kevin Sorbo. The series is the Mythica series, which can be ordered online and is not bad. I think it was a crowd-funded movie to start with, and Sorbo just kept expanding it.