PDA

View Full Version : Minor Illusion + Silent Image = Poor Man's Major Image?

Segev
2016-04-07, 04:50 PM
Silent image is perfectly capable of making a vision-only illusion of an ogre. But such illusions are awfully unconvincing if one is close enough that one should hear it...and they're silent. Minor illusion has a relatively (I hope) uncontroversial capacity to generate sound illusions. These can explicitly be adjusted and controlled throughout the duration.

Am I missing something if I suggest that it is possible for the illusionist to cast silent image, then cast minor illusion in the next round to start making the "ogre" grunt, smack its club against its palm, etc. convincingly?

edit: Meant to post this in 5e. Already reported and requested a move. Sorry.

JackPhoenix
2016-04-08, 09:40 AM
Nope, works (almost) perfectly. The disadvantage is that both cost an action, and you must recast Minor Illusion to change the sound

Segev
2016-04-08, 09:49 AM
Nope, works (almost) perfectly. The disadvantage is that both cost an action, and you must recast Minor Illusion to change the sound

Minor illusion specifically says you can have the sound happen throughout. I initially thought it was still "the same sound," but something about the way its worded makes me think it can be any sound during the duration. I could be wrong, though.

It only costs an action to cause the silent image to move when you change the AoE's location; you could have the ogre repeatedly smacking a club into its other hand without an action, I think. Certainly the minor illusion's sound of flesh-on-wood can be set to repeat at the same period.

But I do see what you mean; it would be delicate to keep it in sync, the more complex the actions get.

weckar
2016-04-08, 04:52 PM
For an Ogre in particular, wouldn't smell become an issue? Or, if one gets closer, heat?

JumboWheat01
2016-04-08, 04:57 PM
For an Ogre in particular, wouldn't smell become an issue?

Ooh, now there's a good question. Isn't there some spell that deals with smell? Prestidigitation maybe? I can't remember off the top of my head. Because some things are (in)famously known for their smell as much as their looks. A skunk illusion would be so much better if you can make the skunk stink, for instance.