PDA

View Full Version : Need help building a 20th level gestalt Deadpool

RevanNihilus
2016-04-07, 05:21 PM
Hello, back again for some help in the ridiculous and amazing.

I want the best fast healing and/or regeneration someone can come up with, the highest two weapon damage possible or single weapon if that works out better for this, the best level of teleportation (going anywhere without restrictions and as close to the destination as humanly possible, including the different planes, if possible), immunity to mind effects, poisons, death spells, sleeping spells, and whatever else can be worked in. If straight up immortality can be obtained, by all means please make that happen.

Extra flair would be fun, whatever you think would make him more enjoyable, but the goal is something that is nearly impossible to kill, does good to great damage, has excellent immunities, and has top notch teleportation abilities.

Anything up to huge in size, preferably medium or large, but huge is okay as well. I know this can help with the damage end.

The only restriction is no home brew, so all 3.5 books and magazines are allowed. Numerous templates are a-okay, just needs to be something a PC is allowed to be/use (so nothing LA -).

Thank you for your time and energy in helping me make this a memorable and fun character to play.

Gildedragon
2016-04-07, 05:25 PM
The trollblooded feat at level one: the full body suit is used to overcome the sunlight fatigue

Swordsage or Warblade probably.

Necropolitan comes with a slew of immunities.

RevanNihilus
2016-04-07, 05:32 PM
The trollblooded feat at level one: the full body suit is used to overcome the sunlight fatigue

Swordsage or Warblade probably.

Necropolitan comes with a slew of immunities.

Thank you, Necropolitan has always looked interesting, I forgot about Swordsage. The full body suit was something I hadn't considered.

ATHATH
2016-04-07, 05:49 PM
Emerald Legionnaires (a character build) are built to be invulnerable to anything short of divine intervention.

Bobby Baratheon
2016-04-07, 06:23 PM
Feral template gets you fast movement, natural armor (fluff it as him just healing it too quickly to affect him) and scaling Fast Healing.

Choosing warlock as one of your gestalted classes would get you a lot of what you want. At will teleportation? Check. Endlessly spammable damage? Check (eldritch blast + hellfire warlock). Flight? Check. 24 hour buffs? Check. You might not want to take it all the way to 20, but gestalting it with something superior would overshadow the weaknesses of the class and let its strengths shine.

Prime32
2016-04-07, 06:42 PM
You can get regeneration/good or chaotic, among other bonuses, by being tortured in a Shriver (Fiendish Codex 2, p52) for 30,000gp. Combine it with Troll-Blooded and you can only be killed by things like good-aligned fire and chaotic-aligned acid (and you bypass the "fatigued in sunlight" clause since the Shriver makes you immune to fatigue).

I'd also suggest the Willing Deformity and Deformity (madness) feats from Heroes of Horror - they make you ugly and crazy, granting immunity to mind-affecting effects.

And finally... take 12 ranks in Truespeak, fluffing it as breaking the fourth wall (you can use the Truename Training feat for this, but factotum levels are preferable). Also take 2 levels in Cobra Strike monk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#monkVariantFightingSty les) so that you can get started on the Spring Attack feat chain.
Look at the sidebar in Tome of Magic p218 - once you also have all that plus 12 ranks in Tumble, you unlock the "Word Given Form" martial art mastery, which lets you inflict a 50% miss chance on a single enemy as long as you continue to spout gibberish at them. If you also take Elusive Target from Complete Warrior, then whenever this enemy misses you they hit another enemy instead (and even if they do hit you, their damage is lowered). Since Dragon magazine is allowed, you also qualify for the "Temerad Mastery I" martial art (Dr309) which lets you taunt two enemies in this way at once.

Deadpool relies on items to teleport, and you should probably do the same (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items) (though I guess if you have factotum in your build then you could pull off teleportation through Arcane Dilettante).

martixy
2016-04-07, 06:49 PM
Thank you, Necropolitan has always looked interesting, I forgot about Swordsage. The full body suit was something I hadn't considered.

If you're gonna go swordsage, there's a not insignificant chance you'll be focusing on Dex, at which point I could propose the Nightscale armor as your choice protective garment. It's exactly the full bodysuit (http://jounikaltti.deviantart.com/art/Nightscale-Armor-31250239) you need.

Jack_Simth
2016-04-07, 07:18 PM
Necropolitan comes with a slew of immunities.The trouble with necropolitan, however, is that you need to have a Con score to benefit from regeneration.

Also, of course, it kinda depends on WHICH deadpool you're talking about. He varies quite a bit.

Gildedragon
2016-04-07, 07:54 PM
The trouble with necropolitan, however, is that you need to have a Con score to benefit from regeneration.

Also, of course, it kinda depends on WHICH deadpool you're talking about. He varies quite a bit.

Oh I didn't know that.
Though using charisma for health is probably fitting.

Jack_Simth
2016-04-07, 08:04 PM
Oh I didn't know that.Understandable; it's not mentioned in the entries where it comes up, it's part of the Regeneration Special Ability description (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#regeneration), which also gives you an interesting way to render Mr. T permanently comatose - just deal enough damage that starvation & thirst will render him unconscious before his regeneration wakes him back up (the nonlethal damage from starvation and thirst, you see, is unaffected by regeneration).

MisterKaws
2016-04-07, 08:08 PM
Necropolitan Elf Evolved Undead 1 Nomad(Ardent's better, but dat MAD tho) 19//Warblade 10/Eternal Blade 10 should be a solid base for you: Tons of immunities, getting Deformity:Madness will get you some of the immunities you lack. Eternal Blade is also quite a nice class for dual-wielding(wanna double your doubled, double attacks?). You don't need anything more than Fast Healing, since undead are immune to all those limb-crushing, and can survive even decapitation, so you just need to reattach severed parts or regenerate them through your psychic powers.

Jack_Simth
2016-04-07, 08:15 PM
Necropolitan Elf Evolved Undead 1 Nomad(Ardent's better, but dat MAD tho) 19//Warblade 10/Eternal Blade 10 should be a solid base for you: Tons of immunities, getting Deformity:Madness will get you some of the immunities you lack. Eternal Blade is also quite a nice class for dual-wielding(wanna double your doubled, double attacks?). You don't need anything more than Fast Healing, since undead are immune to all those limb-crushing, and can survive even decapitation, so you just need to reattach severed parts or regenerate them through your psychic powers.

Don't forget Faerie Mysteries Initiate! You're going Int-based, after all.

RevanNihilus
2016-04-07, 09:24 PM
Emerald Legionnaires (a character build) are built to be invulnerable to anything short of divine intervention.

I hadn't ever heard of them before, this is intriguing.

RevanNihilus
2016-04-07, 09:25 PM
Feral template gets you fast movement, natural armor (fluff it as him just healing it too quickly to affect him) and scaling Fast Healing.

Choosing warlock as one of your gestalted classes would get you a lot of what you want. At will teleportation? Check. Endlessly spammable damage? Check (eldritch blast + hellfire warlock). Flight? Check. 24 hour buffs? Check. You might not want to take it all the way to 20, but gestalting it with something superior would overshadow the weaknesses of the class and let its strengths shine.

I like his pairing, what do you think would offset e weaknesses best?

RevanNihilus
2016-04-07, 09:27 PM
You can get regeneration/good or chaotic, among other bonuses, by being tortured in a Shriver (Fiendish Codex 2, p52) for 30,000gp. Combine it with Troll-Blooded and you can only be killed by things like good-aligned fire and chaotic-aligned acid (and you bypass the "fatigued in sunlight" clause since the Shriver makes you immune to fatigue).

I'd also suggest the Willing Deformity and Deformity (madness) feats from Heroes of Horror - they make you ugly and crazy, granting immunity to mind-affecting effects.

And finally... take 12 ranks in Truespeak, fluffing it as breaking the fourth wall (you can use the Truename Training feat for this, but factotum levels are preferable). Also take 2 levels in Cobra Strike monk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#monkVariantFightingSty les) so that you can get started on the Spring Attack feat chain.
Look at the sidebar in Tome of Magic p218 - once you also have all that plus 12 ranks in Tumble, you unlock the "Word Given Form" martial art mastery, which lets you inflict a 50% miss chance on a single enemy as long as you continue to spout gibberish at them. If you also take Elusive Target from Complete Warrior, then whenever this enemy misses you they hit another enemy instead (and even if they do hit you, their damage is lowered). Since Dragon magazine is allowed, you also qualify for the "Temerad Mastery I" martial art (Dr309) which lets you taunt two enemies in this way at once.

Deadpool relies on items to teleport, and you should probably do the same (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items) (though I guess if you have factotum in your build then you could pull off teleportation through Arcane Dilettante).

This is absolutely brilliant. You're right about the items, but I worry about them being stolen or removed if I'm somehow captured (logically). The innate ability is preferred, but I could always act like my belt is what lets me teleport, tricking enemies.

RevanNihilus
2016-04-07, 09:28 PM
If you're gonna go swordsage, there's a not insignificant chance you'll be focusing on Dex, at which point I could propose the Nightscale armor as your choice protective garment. It's exactly the full bodysuit (http://jounikaltti.deviantart.com/art/Nightscale-Armor-31250239) you need.

I'll have to look into the Nightscale armor, thank you.

RevanNihilus
2016-04-07, 09:30 PM
The trouble with necropolitan, however, is that you need to have a Con score to benefit from regeneration.

Ouch, I hadn't thought about that.

My basis for the character is Deadpool as a whole, but really, I want an extremely hard to kill, murder machine, that has cool tricks, and is fun to play. I love the idea of recreating a similar character, but playing it as my own.

RevanNihilus
2016-04-07, 09:32 PM
Understandable; it's not mentioned in the entries where it comes up, it's part of the Regeneration Special Ability description (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#regeneration), which also gives you an interesting way to render Mr. T permanently comatose - just deal enough damage that starvation & thirst will render him unconscious before his regeneration wakes him back up (the nonlethal damage from starvation and thirst, you see, is unaffected by regeneration).

This is a very good point.

RevanNihilus
2016-04-07, 09:33 PM

Eternal Blade is fantastic, thanks for suggesting that. You're right about fast healing, I think I like the idea of regeneration in case someone cuts a limb off, haha. I wasn't thinking undead initially though or something that could regenerate through magical means.

MisterKaws
2016-04-07, 09:34 PM
Oh, and about the emerald legion: They're still vulnerable to some higher forms of disintegration, like the Pyroclastic Dragon's Breath, but then again, even gods optimized to the wazoo are vulnerable to that.

ATHATH
2016-04-07, 11:12 PM
Oh, and about the emerald legion: They're still vulnerable to some higher forms of disintegration, like the Pyroclastic Dragon's Breath, but then again, even gods optimized to the wazoo are vulnerable to that.
It's debatable, and I know some DM's that would rule otherwise.

For the uninitiated, the Emerald Legion is a hypothetical group of unkillable monsters created by a hypothetical cabal of Mindflayers. They're Were-Direbat, Voidmind, Half-Clay Golem, Ghelen, Half-Troll War Trolls that are flat out immune to nearly everything that can be thrown at them (including all forms of HP damage and the Trollbane poison). They can also act as a conduit for their Mindflayer masters' Psionic Powers, for situations that don't require brute force.

RevanNihilus
2016-04-08, 08:49 AM
It's debatable, and I know some DM's that would rule otherwise.

For the uninitiated, the Emerald Legion is a hypothetical group of unkillable monsters created by a hypothetical cabal of Mindflayers. They're Were-Direbat, Voidmind, Half-Clay Golem, Ghelen, Half-Troll War Trolls that are flat out immune to nearly everything that can be thrown at them (including all forms of HP damage and the Trollbane poison). They can also act as a conduit for their Mindflayer masters' Psionic Powers, for situations that don't require brute force.

What book/magazine is the Emerald Legion in?

ATHATH
2016-04-08, 09:33 AM
What book/magazine is the Emerald Legion in?
It's not in any books- it's a character build.

You can find it here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?101587-D-amp-D-3-5-The-Emerald-Legion-Mass-Producing-Ikea-Tarrasques

RevanNihilus
2016-04-08, 09:47 AM

You can find it here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?101587-D-amp-D-3-5-The-Emerald-Legion-Mass-Producing-Ikea-Tarrasques

Thank you for this.

RevanNihilus
2016-04-08, 02:36 PM

Any chance you could point me in the right direction for the half war troll template?

MisterKaws
2016-04-08, 03:01 PM
Any chance you could point me in the right direction for the half war troll template?

That's the thing: there isn't any, so half of the offspring are just useless normal trolls, so they get discarded, at least AFAIK.

RevanNihilus
2016-04-08, 04:46 PM
That's the thing: there isn't any, so half of the offspring are just useless normal trolls, so they get discarded, at least AFAIK.

That's unfortunate. The build calls for it, but I can't get the stats. I found something that tried to appropriate everything, but it lacks regeneration.

Jack_Simth
2016-04-08, 05:56 PM

A War troll (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040815b&page=6) is the base creature under all the templates. One of which is half-troll, found in Fiend Folio.

Eldariel
2016-04-08, 07:29 PM
Gheden [Dragon Magazine #313] template can combine for damage immunity together with Troll-Blooded (makes you immune to non-lethal damage).

RevanNihilus
2016-04-08, 08:25 PM
A War troll (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040815b&page=6) is the base creature under all the templates. One of which is half-troll, found in Fiend Folio.

Okay, so you would use War Troll as the base, with Half-Troll and Half-Clay Golem making up the whole? Sorry for the confusion.

RevanNihilus
2016-04-08, 10:07 PM
Sadly, the Emerald Legion build is out. Due to Half-Golem not having LA, it can't be used.

Any other ways to make a character (using templates and such with LA) that is immune to standard forms of damage? War Troll gives Regen 9, which is fantastic (to me), but I could still use a lot of help with soaking up or outright ignoring damage. Gheden takes out non-lethal, but what about the rest? Half-Clay Golem was perfect, because of the immunity to various damage types, but that's out the window as I said.

Jack_Simth
2016-04-09, 12:08 AM
Sadly, the Emerald Legion build is out. Due to Half-Golem not having LA, it can't be used.

Any other ways to make a character (using templates and such with LA) that is immune to standard forms of damage? War Troll gives Regen 9, which is fantastic (to me), but I could still use a lot of help with soaking up or outright ignoring damage. Gheden takes out non-lethal, but what about the rest? Half-Clay Golem was perfect, because of the immunity to various damage types, but that's out the window as I said.

War Troll is ECL 18, but you're gestalt... Ex Paladin-2/Cleric-8 (you want the Pride domain)/Bone Knight-10? Ends up with 17th level Cleric casting (could get that to 18th via Prestige Paladin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigePaladin), but it's a variant and might not be welcome at all tables; Practiced Spellcaster is recommended either way). You really only need Bone Knight 8 for the build if something else strikes your fancy (DR and immunity to crits/sneak attack doesn't mean much with the build).

Bone Knight is from an Eberron book, Five Nations. Among other things, it gives you *most* of the undead immunities from the bone armor that fuses with you... (and they're Ex) but never makes you undead, so you keep your Con score. However, it returns some of the Paladin nifties to you, including Divine Grace.

Then the question, of course, becomes "what's the cheapest way to get immunity to acid damage?" Half-Dragon is a +3 LA template; you could just cast Energy Immunity (Spell Compendium), but that can be dispelled... any better methods?

Edit: Ooh! You could go Crystal Troll instead of War Troll, and then take a half-dragon variety from Draconomicon that grants immunity to Sonic....

ATHATH
2016-04-09, 12:42 AM

Just enter the game as an incomplete member of the Emerald Legion, hire an artificer to make you a Half-Clay Golem as soon as you begin the game, and proceed as normal.

Eldariel
2016-04-09, 02:12 AM

Gheden takes out non-lethal, troll-blooded makes almost everything non-lethal. Just apply Mantle of the Fiery Spirit [Sandstorm] for fire subtype (conveniently instantaneous) and then get acid immunity somehow; e.g. ritual of elements for earth subtype [Savage Species].

Jack_Simth
2016-04-09, 12:15 PM
Ah, yes, I forgot about the Ritual of Elements!

War Troll (ECL 18)/Ritual of Elements (Earth) LA+1/????-1//Ex Paladin-2/Cleric-8/Bone Knight-10.

Regeneration(Acid) + Immunity to Acid + Immunity to nonlethal damage... and all of it Ex. A lot of other immunities. Add in Divine Metamagic (Persistent Spell) and use it on Antimagic Field, then you're hard to do much about.

Ortesk
2016-04-09, 02:46 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?309270-Heroic-Chef-Optimization-Challenge-in-the-Playground-I

This should be of some use, was a lot of really good builds by people far better than me on that one

Waddacku
2016-04-10, 06:01 AM
Gheden [Dragon Magazine #313] template can combine for damage immunity together with Troll-Blooded (makes you immune to non-lethal damage).

Also provides immunity to stunning, death by massive damage, fear, and confusion.

RevanNihilus
2016-04-10, 11:31 AM
Ah, yes, I forgot about the Ritual of Elements!

War Troll (ECL 18)/Ritual of Elements (Earth) LA+1/????-1//Ex Paladin-2/Cleric-8/Bone Knight-10.

Regeneration(Acid) + Immunity to Acid + Immunity to nonlethal damage... and all of it Ex. A lot of other immunities. Add in Divine Metamagic (Persistent Spell) and use it on Antimagic Field, then you're hard to do much about.

This is a fascinating idea, thank you for this.

RevanNihilus
2016-04-10, 11:32 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?309270-Heroic-Chef-Optimization-Challenge-in-the-Playground-I

This should be of some use, was a lot of really good builds by people far better than me on that one

I tip my cap to you, thank you for the link, I'm running through it now. I've run into some unexpected hurdles, so this might help me get past them.