PDA

View Full Version : Help with building Epic Level near impossible to kill PC

proselus
2016-04-07, 07:59 PM
Hello Playground,
I was trying to come up with a character concept for a tremendously difficult to kill character that is still useful. Campaign rules are:
Level 35 start
No eberron at all, don't ask
No Magic of Incarnum, Tome of Magic either
Dragon mag OK conditionally
32 point buy
Max template and racial LA is 10, and racial HD is for the most part ignored. However, if some creature has 5 racial HD and casts as 5th level whatever, losing the racial also loses the casting
After much whining, Tome of Battle and Psionics allowed
Probably some other little rules here and there that I'm forgetting
So..... With all that in mind, I was thinking some levels of Monk (monk has some alterations that make it less terrible, like full BAB), maybe Crusader for some stuff, and then some sort of caster to help shore up power and weaknesses. Also I really like psionics a lot, and I think Wilder gets some defensive stuff maybe? But with 35 levels to play with I'm paralyzed with too many options, and I really don't know where to go from here or how exactly danger works in epic campaigns. Any advice or tips on classes or essential epic items would be nice.
Thanks in advance!

Cenric
2016-04-07, 10:04 PM
Is 35 levels in wizard too many? You'd know just about every spell, have researched a few dozen custom spells that let you kill gods (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=12959325&postcount=115) among other things i suppose

proselus
2016-04-07, 10:12 PM
Well I was hoping to be more original, but looking at the Sevenfold Veil class (I think) and wizarding all to heck is a pretty obvious solution. However, I'm concerned with AMF or no-save spells that target my weakpoints. Anything recommended to counteract those?

Âmesang
2016-04-07, 10:18 PM
My first thought going into this was spending your cash on, at least: ring of evasion (although you're epic, so boots of swiftness?), ring of freedom of movement, bracers of soulfire +X (continuous death ward), embedded gemstone of heavy fortification, and some sort of continuous mind blank effect…

A ring of universal energy immunity should be well within the epic wealth by level guideline.

ATHATH
2016-04-07, 11:04 PM
Have you heard of the Emerald Legion?

proselus
2016-04-07, 11:19 PM
I've not heard of them......

Futurama quote aside, I've read through the thing and am a little confused on how I would apply it to my character. I can see the Golem grafting working ok, and maybe being freed voidmind? Overall it seems hard to do as a PC (what with the breeding), without dropping a boatload of levels for templates and such.

Melcar
2016-04-08, 04:18 AM
Hello Playground,
I was trying to come up with a character concept for a tremendously difficult to kill character that is still useful. Campaign rules are:
Level 35 start
No eberron at all, don't ask
No Magic of Incarnum, Tome of Magic either
Dragon mag OK conditionally
32 point buy
Max template and racial LA is 10, and racial HD is for the most part ignored. However, if some creature has 5 racial HD and casts as 5th level whatever, losing the racial also loses the casting
After much whining, Tome of Battle and Psionics allowed
Probably some other little rules here and there that I'm forgetting
So..... With all that in mind, I was thinking some levels of Monk (monk has some alterations that make it less terrible, like full BAB), maybe Crusader for some stuff, and then some sort of caster to help shore up power and weaknesses. Also I really like psionics a lot, and I think Wilder gets some defensive stuff maybe? But with 35 levels to play with I'm paralyzed with too many options, and I really don't know where to go from here or how exactly danger works in epic campaigns. Any advice or tips on classes or essential epic items would be nice.
Thanks in advance!

Wizard 12, cleric 3, dweomerkeeper 10, incantatrix 10, IotSFV 7.

Remember to get the initiate of mystra feat!

ATHATH
2016-04-08, 11:13 AM
I've not heard of them......

Futurama quote aside, I've read through the thing and am a little confused on how I would apply it to my character. I can see the Golem grafting working ok, and maybe being freed voidmind? Overall it seems hard to do as a PC (what with the breeding), without dropping a boatload of levels for templates and such.
Then be the Mind-Flayer cabal. I think they (Mind-Flayers) were made playable somewhere... I just can't remember where.

proselus
2016-04-08, 11:31 AM
Then be the Mind-Flayer cabal. I think they (Mind-Flayers) were made playable somewhere... I just can't remember where.
Forgive me if I seem like I'm being stupid here, but I can't play a cabal, I need to just be one person. If you mean play a Mind Flayer, they aren't the Emerald Legion and aren't really immune to a lot of things, and the LA+7 (I think) seems pretty excessive for what I get. Sorry if I'm missing something, I'm not trying to be mean or anything.

Wizard 12, cleric 3, dweomerkeeper 10, incantatrix 10, IotSFV 7.

Remember to get the initiate of mystra feat!
OK I'm liking this so far. Foe spellcasting gets blocked by Indigo Veil, melee foes wrecked by the Purple Veil, ranged mundane same if I'm reading it correctly. The spell Battlemagic Perception will help stop spells from popping my bubbles or casting any spells that might work by dropping the floor out from under me or something.

Incantatrix helps with crazy amounts of Metamagic, among other things.

Cleric 3 is for the Mystra feat, which helps me get around AMF in case my DM rules that AMF trumps Veils (yay!)

Dweomerkeeper I'm a little vague on. I see the capstone helps with metamagic again (good lord 3.5) but do I advance the Cleric side or the Wizard side? I would assume Wizard because single focus is usually better, but I've seen exploits for free Wishes with Dweomerkeeper supernatural casting thing.

Major problem? 12+3+10+10+7 is seven levels too many. Can I enter the prestige with 7 less Wizard levels or those essential to the build?

Dromuthra
2016-04-08, 12:02 PM
If Epic Spellcasting is allowed, abandon all hope for they can just craft spells designed to pierce any protections you have. If not, there are some great options. Vecna-Blooded (and then burn the DR to lose the LA and keep the divination immunity).

proselus
2016-04-08, 12:25 PM
Hrm.....Epic Spellcasting is allowed, and I know very little about how Epic Spellcasting works. How difficult is it to make a spell that punches through class features like the Veils? And can I counterspell those spells, either with stock Greater Dispel Magic, or by making my own Epic Spell to defend myself?

EDIT: Forgot to ask, can an Epic Dispel spell be used as free action if used in conjunction with Battlemagic Perception? It just says "you can counterspell as a free action" but I don't know if Epic counterspelling counts.

DarkSoul
2016-04-08, 02:38 PM
Yes, you can go Wiz 5 > Incantatrix 10 > rest of the build.

Epic Spellcasting is very, very easily abused. People are fond of creating epic spells with a spellcraft DC of 0 because no one said they couldn't. Like many of the expanded rules in 3.5, they require a little thought when using them or they get out of hand. If you keep your epic spells at reasonable levels, both in power and cost, it makes for a more sane game. Creating an epic spell isn't particularly hard, but gets expensive quickly. It's very open-ended too, so there's a lot of room for creativity.

I did a rewrite (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=651919) of an arcane caster for another forum poster that they really liked. It's not a build suggestion for you, but an idea of the kinds of things you're able to do with a caster at those levels. It's level 30, so you'd have 5 more levels of abilities/gold to work with.

That character has a few epic spells listed with the modifiers that I used to arrive at their final spellcraft DC's. Note that two of them have their caster levels fortified to be resistant to dispelling. The third one (Magister's Potency) is an example of the open-endedness I mentioned before: there are no written rules for using the Fortify seed the way I did, but it seemed reasonable given that Fortify can grant someone a bonus to their saves.

proselus
2016-04-08, 02:55 PM
Thank you so much for posting the build with some examples of spells. That does really help. So I'm thinking if I research some sort of Epic Spell that either counters other Epic Spells, or maybe a Contingency to get me the beans out of there if a Epic Spell is cast at me, I might be able to survive pretty much anything trying to smote me, at least once anyway.

Of course, the biggest issue is I am the PC, so the DM can easily "cheat" (I hesitate to use that word, since it's not really cheating) and take me out. It's not like he can't have an arbitrarily powerful critter of some kind drop a train on me.

Thank you guys so much for all your help, and of course if anyone has other ideas or advice I'm open. I've never done epic before, so I'm not sure what I'm in for here.