PDA

View Full Version : Orb of Force v.s. Orb of ___ + Energy Substitution: Acid?

RoboEmperor
2016-04-08, 06:12 AM
In your experience, which is better? My character already has energy substitution:acid, so I'm tempted to grab a regular orb spell, but it worries me that there might be a creature completely immune to all 4 elements (sonic doesn't count because it does same damage as force).

Is there a creature completely immune to all elements? Is Orb of Force the better/safer choice?

HammeredWharf
2016-04-08, 06:34 AM
Orb of Force caps at 10d6 and doesn't have a secondary effect, so other orbs are better for general use. However, it's good to have a source of Force damage, so I usually have a few Orbs of Force prepared when possible.

Inevitability
2016-04-08, 07:32 AM
Remember that if you encounter anything incorporeal, an orb of force will also be more useful.

And don't forget the tactical advantage of being able to create spheres of pure magical energy during downtime. Ever wanted a ballpit with invisible balls?

RoboEmperor
2016-04-08, 07:55 AM
Oh right, incorporeals... Ok, force it is.

Maybe I can fit both. Hmm....

Troacctid
2016-04-08, 11:04 AM
The fact that Orb of Fire forces a save against skipping a whole turn makes it way more debilitating. Orb of Force deals its damage more reliably against incorporeal and energy-resistant targets, but that's all it does.

If you have Arcane Thesis for it, you can even apply Searing Spell for free, so that fire resistance is no longer an issue.

RoboEmperor
2016-04-08, 03:52 PM
The fact that Orb of Fire forces a save against skipping a whole turn makes it way more debilitating. Orb of Force deals its damage more reliably against incorporeal and energy-resistant targets, but that's all it does.

If you have Arcane Thesis for it, you can even apply Searing Spell for free, so that fire resistance is no longer an issue.

I like electricity over fire/cold/acid, which is I wanted to go orb of electricity, for fluff, but wow! Searing spell! Definitely going fire now, unless there is a similar metmagic for electricity.

DeAnno
2016-04-08, 04:07 PM
Range: Medium on the Orb of Force might be a thing to consider. Overall you probably want Orb of Fire in that situation though.

Troacctid
2016-04-08, 04:11 PM
I like electricity over fire/cold/acid, which is I wanted to go orb of electricity, for fluff, but wow! Searing spell! Definitely going fire now, unless there is a similar metmagic for electricity.

There's one for cold (Piercing Cold), but not electricity.

RoboEmperor
2016-04-08, 04:32 PM
There's one for cold (Piercing Cold), but not electricity.

That's great. I use ice assassins at 18+ so it should fit better thematically. It's not like that save matters when you do 100-200 damage a shot.

Troacctid
2016-04-08, 04:40 PM
Well, Orb of Cold blinds them, so it would deny their Dex to AC for the next touch attack you make against them that round.

RoboEmperor
2016-04-08, 05:01 PM
Well, Orb of Cold blinds them, so it would deny their Dex to AC for the next touch attack you make against them that round.

Daze is a mind affecting condition right? So mind-affecting immune creatures would be immune right?

I actually have a feat slot left so I might go fire for fiery spell, which is also free with arcane thesis.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-04-08, 06:02 PM
Daze is a mind affecting condition right? So mind-affecting immune creatures would be immune right?Daze is not mind-affecting. In fact, almost nothing is immune to it.