PDA

View Full Version : Godzilla Vs. Cthulhu

Bartmanhomer
2016-04-08, 08:27 AM
This is a good battle: A legendary radioactive dinosaur versus the elder god. There's so many versions for Godzilla let's pick the Godzilla Final Wars version since he's the most powerful version in the Godzilla series. Cthulhu is about the same size as Godzilla. Hmm this is a tough battle indeed. I'm not so sure how well will Godzilla go up against a god. Cthulhu got so many powers at his disposal which is arcane magic, divine magic and psionics. Also his tentacles can do some damage. So I'm going to say Cthulhu will win this fight. Who do you think will win in this fight: Godzilla (GFW version) or Cthulhu?

Prime32
2016-04-08, 08:44 AM
Cthulhu got so many powers at his disposal which is arcane magic, divine magic and psionics. Also his tentacles can do some damage.:smallconfused:

Cthulhu is not a D&D character, nor does he have any powers beyond large size and regeneration. He's not even supposed to be a physical threat - people just feel so insignificant when they see a giant uncaring alien that they go mad.

Eldan
2016-04-08, 08:46 AM
Both are big. Cthulhu regenerates apparently. Not sure if Godzilla does, so I'm giving it to Godzilla. Even if Godzilla has various breath weapons.

HandofShadows
2016-04-08, 09:39 AM
There is a rather good (IMO) fanfic for this on fanfiction.net (https://www.fanfiction.net/s/209834/1/Godzilla-vs-Cthulhu). I think Godzilla has it. Cthulhu is big (NOT Godzilla sized mind you) and he can regenerate and has some powers. But he seems more to mess with people's minds (through their dreams most often) and drive them insane to become his minions. Godzilla is an un-killable engine of destruction and would likely repeated dish out enough damage that Cthulhu would stop from being able to regenerate from it all.

BTW in the FIRST Edition of Deities & Demigods Cthulhu was stated out. I think Call of Cthulhu stats it out at as "eats 1d3 investigators per turn". That's it. :smallbiggrin:

Tono
2016-04-08, 09:45 AM
Cthulhu is beaten by a boat. Godzilla > Boat. Thus Godzilla wins. :smallbiggrin: Cthulhu isn't a big deal even in his own mythos and stories(Lovecraft's works and beyond). As was said above, the only reason he would really be a threat is the mental affects he has on humans, and how some humans chose to worship/attempt to use him. Most(All? I think he caused some people, mostly artist or people already vulnerable to off themselves which might count in his total. I don't really remember tbh.) deaths in Cthulhu's story weren't even caused by him, but the people who worshiped him.

Dienekes
2016-04-08, 11:33 AM
There is sort of a lore as opposed to fact divide with Cthulhu. In the lore looking upon him causes madness and when the stars align all will perish and he will be unstoppable and so on. But then a steamboat knocks him out but that is sort of handwaved away since the stars weren't actually in alignment. So it's a lot of buildup to what he can do but little to none of it is ever shown.

Godzilla, meanwhile is simple. He's a big monster that is virtually unstoppable by conventional means. When he shows up cities are destroyed and other monsters are killed in his wake. If we go by what we can prove they are capable of, Godzilla wins. If we take the bunch of lore on Cthulhu as all being 100% accurate then if the stars align and the cult awakens him and whatever else needed to happen then Godzilla should not be able to do anything to him.

Donnadogsoth
2016-04-08, 11:46 AM
What's Godzilla's SAN?

Closet_Skeleton
2016-04-08, 12:29 PM
Fighting Giant monsters from out of space is normal for Godzilla. On the other hand, Godzilla can't take on King Ghidorah, a alien dragon who clears planets of life as a hobby without help.

So if Cthulhu is equal in power to King Ghidorah, Godzilla can't win. If Cthulhu is just Gigan level (ignoring that King Ghidorah shows up in Godzilla vs Gigan to be a lazy jobber for a change) then Godzilla has a chance.

Cthulhu isn't a big deal even in his own mythos and stories(Lovecraft's works and beyond).

Cthulhu is a big deal compared to humans, his insignificance compared to the cosmic scale of existence also applies to Godzilla.

Dienekes
2016-04-08, 12:35 PM
Fighting Giant monsters from out of space is normal for Godzilla. On the other hand, Godzilla can't take on King Ghidorah, a alien dragon who clears planets of life as a hobby without help.

So if Cthulhu is equal in power to King Ghidorah, Godzilla can't win. If Cthulhu is just Gigan level (ignoring that King Ghidorah shows up in Godzilla vs Gigan to be a lazy jobber for a change) then Godzilla has a chance.

Cthulhu is a big deal compared to humans, his insignificance compared to the cosmic scale of existence also applies to Godzilla.

Oh contraire, Godzilla in the Showa era always needed help facing Ghidorah, but during the Heisei period he was bigger badder and faced not just Ghidorah but Mecha-King Ghidorah mano-a-mano and killed it both times.

Prime32
2016-04-08, 12:36 PM
What's Godzilla's SAN?I don't think Godzilla is going to go insane from realising that aliens exist. He fights aliens all the time.

Legato Endless
2016-04-08, 01:28 PM
What's Godzilla's SAN?

Nonexistent in Giant Monsters All-Out Attack, where's he's the collective manifestation of the Japanese soldiers who died in the Pacific Theater of WW2. Which is probably the most thematically similar incarnation to face Cthulhu (though not the most formidable as he was also defeated in a silly manner by an aquatic vehicle).

Talakeal
2016-04-08, 02:32 PM

This is Final Wars Godzilla though. He deafeated Ghidorah single handedly after he had already beaten virtually every other monster on Earth.

Eldan
2016-04-08, 02:34 PM
There is sort of a lore as opposed to fact divide with Cthulhu. In the lore looking upon him causes madness and when the stars align all will perish and he will be unstoppable and so on. But then a steamboat knocks him out but that is sort of handwaved away since the stars weren't actually in alignment. So it's a lot of buildup to what he can do but little to none of it is ever shown.

Eh. The actual story never says looking upon him causes madness. A handful of people see him and they understandably panick, which isn't made better by then drifting in the ocean with heatstroke and dehydration until they are found, but there's no magical madness effect of any kind like the RPGs like to include.

Bartmanhomer
2016-04-08, 02:56 PM
:smallconfused:

Cthulhu is not a D&D character, nor does he have any powers beyond large size and regeneration. He's not even supposed to be a physical threat - people just feel so insignificant when they see a giant uncaring alien that they go mad.

I never said that Cthulhu is a D & D character because I know he isn't a D & D character.

Both are big. Cthulhu regenerates apparently. Not sure if Godzilla does, so I'm giving it to Godzilla. Even if Godzilla has various breath weapons.

Godzilla can regenerate.

Rater202
2016-04-08, 02:59 PM
Nonexistent in Giant Monsters All-Out Attack, where's he's the collective manifestation of the Japanese soldiers who died in the Pacific Theater of WW2. Which is probably the most thematically similar incarnation to face Cthulhu (though not the most formidable as he was also defeated in a silly manner by an aquatic vehicle).

Thats not actually what happened in GMK.

In GMK something not unlike the original godzilla movie happened, but a long time ago and people think that "Godzilla is only a legend!" ro quaote one poor misguided woman, though there are survivors of the initial attack who know the truth.

Then the orignal Godzilla is reanimated by the collective wills of all of the people who died as a Result of Japanesse aggression during world war two-they're like, very ambigous about that though, what it means-it could be anything from innocent civilians killed when Japan invaded mainland asia or it could be anybody who died as a direct or indirect result of japan's actions in the war.

So basically GMK Godzilla was a Giant, mutated, Radioactive, mzombie dinosaur possesed by hundred or thousands of vengeful ghosts looking to take their revenge on Japan.

If it was Japaneses soldiers that died in the war, them GMK Godzilla would have attacked somewhere in America or Europe.

Anyway, if the Stars are right, Cthulhu is invincible and undefeatable-I think there's a Call of Cthulhu source-book that says if you nuke him when he's at full power his body is destroyed, but he'll be back a few days later and this time he's radioactive. FW Godzilla can't beat that, Cthulhu wins rom Atrition.

However, if the stars are wrong, it's a curb-stomp in Big Gs Favor.

Against full power Cthulu you'd need to create some kind of "Ultimate" Godzilla with the best traits of all of his Incarnations before he had a chance.

Fri
2016-04-08, 03:41 PM
Cthulhu is beaten by a boat. Godzilla > Boat.

I know you're being tongue in cheek, but the only thing that annoys me more than people overestimating cthulhu's importance (he's just a priest of an actual god, guys. Stop making him like the end of all things), is people understimating him because of a meme. Yes, it's a meme in the actual meaning of the word.

Really depends what kind of supers you want to use.

Your Superman types would be quite stunningly OP compared to the relatively weak Cthulu(KO'd by headbutting a fishing boat in his own book).
Your Captain America sub super powered, super hero would probably make for some fun.

So I read Call of Cthulhu again, and yeah, I dont see any evidence whatsoever that the boat actually hurt Cthulhu in any way, he seemed to simply turn incorporeal and allow the boat to pass through him before reforming unharmed.

Then his island sank and he was pulled down with it. What I don't quite follow is why this latter happened. Any help?

Yes, the "cthulhu got taken down by a fishing boat" is a meme, and I'm pretty sure people who quote that unironically haven't read the short story and/or conflate it with War of the World, where an alien tripod does get downed by a steamboat.

What actually happened in the short story is the equivalent of, Cthulhu woke up in the middle of the night, half-sleepingly walk to the toilet, accidentally stepped on a bug, which annoyed and mildly inconvenienced him, then go back to sleep because it's still 3 in the morning and the alarm clock hasn't blared yet.

digiman619
2016-04-08, 03:41 PM
Well, Cthulu and an expy of Godzilla are both statted in Pathfinder...

Closet_Skeleton
2016-04-08, 05:58 PM
Oh contraire, Godzilla in the Showa era always needed help facing Ghidorah, but during the Heisei period he was bigger badder and faced not just Ghidorah but Mecha-King Ghidorah mano-a-mano and killed it both times.

This is Final Wars Godzilla though. He deafeated Ghidorah single handedly after he had already beaten virtually every other monster on Earth.

Heisei period Ghidorah is the chump, Heisei Godzilla would die against Showa era King Ghidorah.

Mecha King Ghidorah is just three stupid bats from the future on a dialysis machine, not a planetary genocide Space Dragon and therefore doesn't compare to Cthulhu at all. There are better Heisei comparisons for Cthulhu.

Final Wars Godzilla had it easy fighting jobber versions of monsters. He only has informed badassitude.

I don't put any stock in when a movie tells me a monster is more powerful than he's ever been before and then shows me some unconvincing battles.

Anyway, if the Stars are right, Cthulhu is invincible and undefeatable-I think there's a Call of Cthulhu source-book that says if you nuke him when he's at full power his body is destroyed, but he'll be back a few days later and this time he's radioactive.

Cthulhu is invincible in a call of Cthulhu setting where giant alien space gods trying to wipe out all life on earth isn't a regular appearance. Its only comparative invincibility. Azathoth would still swat Cthulhu flat permanently without noticing him no matter what the stars were like.

In Godzilla's setting, Cthulhu would be a major threat but nothing that hasn't been dealt with before.

Wardog
2016-04-08, 07:04 PM
:smallconfused:

He does have some powers - when he woke up, various mentally-unstable people around the world went slightly loopy.

(In D&D terms - he has a global-scale aura than can debuff low-wis commoners and experts if they fail their will-save).

He also managed to rapidly kill several (but not all) of the commoners and experts who encountered him.

As for the results of the Big V vs. the steam yacht:

But Johansen had not given out yet. Knowing that the Thing could surely overtake the Alert until steam was fully up, he resolved on a desperate chance; and, setting the engine for full speed, ran lightning-like on deck and reversed the wheel. There was a mighty eddying and foaming in the noisome brine, and as the steam mounted higher and higher the brave Norwegian drove his vessel head on against the pursuing jelly which rose above the unclean froth like the stern of a daemon galleon. The awful squid-head with writhing feelers came nearly up to the bowsprit of the sturdy yacht, but johansen drove on relentlessly. There was a bursting as of an exploding bladder, a slushy nastiness as of a cloven sunfish, a stench as of a thousand opened graves, and a sound that the chronicler could not put on paper. For an instant the ship was befouled by an acrid and blinding green cloud, and then there was only a venomous seething astern; where - God in heaven! - the scattered plasticity of that nameless sky-spawn was nebulously recombining in its hateful original form, whilst its distance widened every second as the Alert gained impetus from its mounting steam.
So while it wasn't truely defeated, it was damaged, took a few moments to reform, and was either slowed or discouraged enough to prevent it catching the ship.

Finally, there is no proof that "the stars being right" will make Big C invincible - the only evidence for that is the fevered rantings of deranged cultists and other madmen. In fact, if i remember rightly, when he was active previously (and had his entire civilization of star-spawn active with him) he was fought to a stale-mate by the Crinoid Race of Antarctica.

Sure, he's very dangerous to humans*, but his canonically demonstrated powers are actually pretty limited (and don't include regenerating after being nuked), and doesn't seem to have anything that would be useful against Godzilla except raw size and strength. (And hoping to beat Big G using nothing but size and strength seems to me to be a pretty risky strategy). Whereas Godzilla is canonically shown to be invulnerable to pretty much any human weapon, laughs off most monster attacks as well, and his favourite hobby seems to be "utterly crushing giant space monsters".

* especially to the typical Lovecraftian protagonist, who in D&D terms is probably a level 1 expert who took the flaw "phobia: anything that upsets my view of the world" in exchange for Language: Purple Prose.

digiman619
2016-04-08, 07:13 PM
Sure, he's very dangerous to humans*,
* especially to the typical Lovecraftian protagonist, who in D&D terms is probably a level 1 expert who took the flaw "phobia: anything that upsets my view of the world" in exchange for Language: Purple Prose.

That is a thing of beauty, right there.

Legato Endless
2016-04-08, 07:42 PM
Well, Cthulu and an expy of Godzilla are both statted in Pathfinder...

If we're talking Mogaru versus Cthulhu, then Cthulhu has a fairly massive advantage. In addiction to an Int of 31, he can fly and teleport at will so there's not much preventing him from simply kiting Mogaru.

Mogaru's breath and melee attacks would do massive damage if he connects, but he needs to roll a 17 to resist going insane. (which wouldn't end the fight, but it would seriously debilitate Mogaru)

Prime32
2016-04-08, 07:56 PM
He does have some powers - when he woke up, various mentally-unstable people around the world went slightly loopy.

(In D&D terms - he has a global-scale aura than can debuff low-wis commoners and experts if they fail their will-save).That's more of an "I sense a great disturbance in the Force" thing, though. If Godzilla woke up in a Lovecraft story, it would make random people start screaming about the end of the world too.

Heck, I'm pretty sure this has happened on a smaller scale in the Godzilla movies. The difference is that by Lovecraft logic any sufficiently artistic person can sense this stuff, whereas in Japanese media you usually have to be descended from a line of priests or something (which also comes with "spiritual strength" that makes you harder to drive insane).

Legato Endless
2016-04-08, 08:04 PM
That's more of an "I sense a great disturbance in the Force" thing, though. If Godzilla woke up in a Lovecraft story, it would make random people start screaming about the end of the world too.

Heck, I'm pretty sure this has happened on a smaller scale in the Godzilla movies. The difference is that by Lovecraft logic any sufficiently artistic person can sense this stuff, whereas in Japanese media you usually have to be descended from a line of priests or something (which also comes with "spiritual strength" that makes you harder to drive insane).

Indeed. In Godzilla vs. Biolllante a classroom of psychic school children all hold up drawings of Big G emerging from the volcano and running amuck once more.

Mister Loorg
2016-04-09, 12:25 AM
I know it isn't Final Wars Godzilla but I still would like to throw out there that the Big G has survived a Black Hole before. And it's not like Godzilla hasn't defeated other monsters that were supposed to destroy the world.

Ossian77
2016-04-12, 05:33 AM
Chtulhu' s sole weapon is driving living and sentient beings on the edge of madness and beyond. Too bad that a destruction-lusted plasma breathing nuke resistant armoured dinosaur the size of 10 city blocks who eats space monsters for snacks does not have much in the way of dreams and sanity to lose.

Godzilla turns "C" into paste in a split second. Then when C starts to slowly regenerate (assuming Godzilla is not miles away destroying something else, AND is still interested in the fight) Godzilla throws a tantrum and UTTERLY incinerates the place of battle. Beyond radioactively scorched forever.

The point is that if Chrulhu is awake and walking the streets of, say, Manhattan, the stars are right, he is in charge, humanity has been eaten already, there is not a single soul that has not been frayed to rags by his mere "being there" and the "parent" Gods see their star child merrily destroying Earth.

Then THEY show up, and Godzilla is paste (say, Azatoth....)

Also, this thread damned us all. A gibbous horned moon casts a baleful light on all of us, and Fomalhaut shines in the sky.

Cheers

Now I hear a scratching on the door.....the window! the window!!!!

HandofShadows
2016-04-12, 10:19 AM
Now I hear a scratching on the door.....the window! the window!!!!

Are the eldritch horrors trying to escape AGAIN? They should have learned by know they can't leave until we are done with them.

Ossian77
2016-04-12, 10:37 AM
Are the eldritch horrors trying to escape AGAIN? They should have learned by know they can't leave until we are done with them.

Now all I can picture is Zed's shop at the end of Pulp Fiction, where the elders are being ....treated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8kPqAV_74M&nohtml5=False

Leewei
2016-04-12, 10:41 AM
While "Call of Ktulu" is a great metal instrumental from one of Metallica's best albums, Blue Oyster Cult's "Godzilla" is just way more fun.

I give this one to Godzilla.

Raimun
2016-04-12, 10:52 AM
Godzilla wins. Why? Cthulhu is tough only when he's bullying non-military regular people. Godzilla fights military and fellow giant monsters all the time. This match is kind of like "some random dude who gets his kicks out of burning ants with a magnifying glass" versus "black ops soldier who is also an army boxing champion".

Besides, look at them. Godzilla looks way cooler.

ArlEammon
2016-04-12, 03:58 PM
Godzilla IS cooler. . . Cthulhu LOOOKS way cooler.

Drascin
2016-04-13, 04:37 AM
Yeah, this one goes to Goji no question. To take down Godzilla you'd need someone bigger in the Lovecraft totem pole than old Cthulhu - dude is just a high priest, and all he has to his name is being really hard to kill, while Godzilla has killed actual immortals. For a matchup with Godzilla you need a bit more metaphysical beef.

Also making people go loopy, but that's more on their own part than anything Cthulhu himself does, they go crazy because they can't accept that turns out the universe is way weirder than they thought and horrible aliens are a thing. And well, that's not going to make much of a dent on Godzilla, what with him fighting horrible mindbending aliens every other Tuesday.

Shrimpboy107
2016-05-03, 12:42 PM
Godzilla. Anything that can body Orga is practically unstoppable. And Orga's regeneration capabilities are probably equivalent to Cthulhu's.

AMFV
2016-05-04, 07:57 AM
The chief problem with this fight is that we've seen Godzilla's full abilities demonstrated numerous times. Part of how Lovecraft works is by not telling too much information. So we have only vague ideas about the actual capabilities of Cthulu (I mean popular media has created some stuff later, but that's not really in the original source material). So it's difficult to create a good comparison. Also we have the fact that Cthulu's primary role is as a priest for greater and more sinister powers, whereas Godzilla tends to be the most powerful entity in the room (although not always), so we'd need to set the parameters rather stiffly in order to have the conflict actually make sense.