PDA

View Full Version : Optimization MoF caster level boosting Spellcraft use nobody ever talks about

Jowgen
2016-04-08, 11:32 AM
Magic of Faerun p. 20 - 21 has a bunch of interesting new skill uses (like UMD to emulate the shadow weave feat, which is interesting because of the lack of a general feat-emulating rule for things like MIC Relics). However, the by far most interesting one of these is the following:

SPELLCRAFT

Task
DC

Draw a circle to increase caster level
20 + 5 × increase of an area spell

Considering how much Circle Magic abuse comes up in TO, it strikes me as strange that no one ever aknowledges this thing exists. Boosting Skill-checks is a relatively simple optimization exercise, and there are bound to be some Area spells with worthwhile CL-based effects that can benefit from this.

So yeah, why do you think this doesn't get any attention and how would you personally use it?

Zaq
2016-04-08, 12:53 PM
Magic of Faerun p. 20 - 21 has a bunch of interesting new skill uses (like UMD to emulate the shadow weave feat, which is interesting because of the lack of a general feat-emulating rule for things like MIC Relics). However, the by far most interesting one of these is the following:

SPELLCRAFT

Task
DC

Draw a circle to increase caster level
20 + 5 × increase of an area spell

Considering how much Circle Magic abuse comes up in TO, it strikes me as strange that no one ever aknowledges this thing exists. Boosting Skill-checks is a relatively simple optimization exercise, and there are bound to be some Area spells with worthwhile CL-based effects that can benefit from this.

So yeah, why do you think this doesn't get any attention and how would you personally use it?

Huh. One reason is that I had literally never noticed it before, and one reason I'd never noticed it is because there's basically no text on it, just a table entry. There's nothing explaining what that means. What action does it take? How long does the circle stay good? Can anyone use it, or just the person who drew it? How big does the circle have to be (does it have to encompass the entire area of the spell, or just the center, or just the caster and not the target area, or all of that, or something else)? Does this have anything to do with Circle Magic itself (i.e., can it only be used in the same way as Circle Magic, or can it only be used by a practitioner of Circle Magic, or does it stack with Circle Magic, or is it totally separate from Circle Magic)?

In short, unless there's some text explaining what that means (I didn't see anything in the chapter before that table or in the section following it, though I admit I didn't search the entire book for this), it seems to me like there isn't enough information to really take advantage of it. If you have a GM who's willing to clarify what the parameters of this new skill use are, then that's one thing, but TO wants to stay the hell away from anything involving GM adjudication, and I don't feel like the rules are complete enough to use it without help from a GM.

Jowgen
2016-04-09, 08:41 AM
Huh. One reason is that I had literally never noticed it before, and one reason I'd never noticed it is because there's basically no text on it, just a table entry. There's nothing explaining what that means. What action does it take? How long does the circle stay good? Can anyone use it, or just the person who drew it? How big does the circle have to be (does it have to encompass the entire area of the spell, or just the center, or just the caster and not the target area, or all of that, or something else)? Does this have anything to do with Circle Magic itself (i.e., can it only be used in the same way as Circle Magic, or can it only be used by a practitioner of Circle Magic, or does it stack with Circle Magic, or is it totally separate from Circle Magic)?

In short, unless there's some text explaining what that means (I didn't see anything in the chapter before that table or in the section following it, though I admit I didn't search the entire book for this), it seems to me like there isn't enough information to really take advantage of it. If you have a GM who's willing to clarify what the parameters of this new skill use are, then that's one thing, but TO wants to stay the hell away from anything involving GM adjudication, and I don't feel like the rules are complete enough to use it without help from a GM.

Granted, there is no elaboration on how it works, but even with a highly limited interpretation; there still are some great uses to be had.

For example, lets assume the following super-limited interpretation:

1. The circle takes hours to draw (I'd personally go with the magic circle against X time)
2. Each circle is specific to not only one caster, but a specific casting of the spell.
3. The circle needs to encompass the entire area of the spell, rather than just the caster
4. The spell needs to be cast as soon as the circle is complete, just to limit it in every way.

Even with this set up, there is a lot of use to be had with an inexpensive (and potentially very high) CL boost. From the top of my head:

a) Raise the CL of Consumptive Field to boost how much CL it can give you for any given spell
b) Boost the power of the spell you've keyed your Energy Transformation Field to
c) Make Forbiddance harder to dispel
d) Extend how long Magic Circle Against Evil traps last
e) Boost your % chance of destroying an artifact with Disjunction

If you take away the immediate use clause that I added just to max out impracticality, it even becomes useful as an encounter tool. A bog-standard Balor or Pit Fiend can take 10 to draw a circle that raises its Blasphemy CL by 4; which can go a long way in making it a more credible threat in a specific area.

TL;DR; even if you have to tread on eggshells, easily optimizeable CL boosting in any form can be real handy.

Ger. Bessa
2016-04-09, 12:13 PM
As Zaq said, you might still need one of the Faerun feats to use circle magic (Tatoo focus, Circle link? And Hatran? not sure about the last two). It could be like using circle magic, but alone.

Jowgen
2016-04-09, 06:35 PM
As Zaq said, you might still need one of the Faerun feats to use circle magic (Tatoo focus, Circle link? And Hatran? not sure about the last two). It could be like using circle magic, but alone.

There be nothing to connect this spellcraft use with circle magic. The description of circle magic doesn't mention the need to draw any actual circles (nor does it get mentioned in MoF), the spellcraft skill use (or any other skill uses listed) don't mention the needs for any feats. The whole area-effect thing doesn't line up either.

Now you could combine circle magic with this. Probably beneficial, considering all the aid another's you can get to your spellcraft check. In no way necessary though.