PDA

View Full Version : The room is just evil...

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-22, 01:22 AM
Ok, just got back from Room 1408. As soft horror goes, I particularly enjoyed that one. Well, not even sure it'd be called properly horror exactly... but wasn't quite a thriller... oh well, either way, twas good. What was odd is I never really jumped, but even as I'm writing this I'm still feeling a bit paranoid. Might have some fun dreams tonight...

The whole thing was quite surreal, and definetely had 'nightmare' written all over it. Very imaginative in a sadistic fashion... though of course there were a few parts I'm over here thinking 'Oh come ON, you KNOW whats going to happen and its cheap!' but it held up anyways in my opinion.

However, the main guy got freaked waaay too quickly, but I will let it go as I can imagine someone who doesn't believe anything in the supernatural getting all the more spooked when they find they are wroung.

And btw folks, each time you think it's over... don't count on it :smallamused:

I was afraid it was going to have a really crappy ending, but then it'd continue on... and on... and on. The ending was a mixture of sweet and creepy at the same time. Seriously, what kinda drug did they give that poor kid? I don't think humans look that way naturally.

Serpentine
2007-06-22, 01:36 AM
It's not based on a Stephen King story, is it? I know he has something called "Room Somethingorother", but I thought the numbers added up to 13 or something. Does it involve
messed up stuff like pictures moving and a wall melting into some sort of portal and stuff?
If so, it does sound like that King one...

The New Bruceski
2007-06-22, 02:15 AM
It's not based on a Stephen King story, is it? I know he has something called "Room Somethingorother", but I thought the numbers added up to 13 or something. Does it involve
messed up stuff like pictures moving and a wall melting into some sort of portal and stuff?
If so, it does sound like that King one...

I can't speak for the rest, but 1+4+0+8=13

Serpentine
2007-06-22, 02:57 AM
Well crud. I think I counted with "14". Soo... it could be this story then. Interesting. Cuz that was one seriously messed-up story...

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-22, 07:02 AM
I think I vaguely recall that it might have been based off of the King novel, and what you described sounds very close to it, so its likely.

Serpentine
2007-06-22, 07:35 AM
Well, let me ask you the question that will resolve the matter: Was it trippy and creepy as all hell?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-22, 07:37 AM
Well, let me ask you the question that will resolve the matter: Was it trippy and creepy as all hell?
I think that definitely describes this movie, yes.

Daze
2007-06-22, 08:37 AM
I think I vaguely recall that it might have been based off of the King novel, and what you described sounds very close to it, so its likely.

It was based on a short story by Stephen King... who apparantly can make movies every week til the year 2150, judging by his body of work...

I like John Cusak, so I'll check it out...

Ranis
2007-06-22, 08:40 AM
I'm hemophobic, so I can't handle a lot of violence and gore. Is 1408 gory?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-22, 08:45 AM
I'm hemophobic, so I can't handle a lot of violence and gore. Is 1408 gory?
Well, you do get very brief glances at past victims as he's looking through his notes on the place. And when a window closes on his hand he bleeds a bit and has to go wash it off. Then he hits something in frustration with that hand, getting it on a door or something. Thats really about it that I can remember.

But definitely not gorey in any sense. I'd've walked out if it had turned gorey.

Serpentine
2007-06-22, 08:51 AM
Awesome. I'll definitely have to keep an eye out for it when it get here... in a year or two.

edit: Dammit Ranis, check your inbox!

Ranis
2007-06-22, 08:53 AM
Awesome, that kind of thing I can handle. But there have been so many gory horror movies that apparently violence and fear are synonymous these days.

Glad to see there's another suspense thriller out (finally) since Ring 2. Thanks, Tribble.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-22, 09:05 AM
Awesome, that kind of thing I can handle. But there have been so many gory horror movies that apparently violence and fear are synonymous these days.
Gah, I know it. I don't mind spooky movies, but I don't like splurt. Personally I think most gore fans if they ever cut themselves would probably faint.

Ranis
2007-06-22, 09:31 AM
Gah, I know it. I don't mind spooky movies, but I don't like splurt. Personally I think most gore fans if they ever cut themselves would probably faint.

Hehehe, my girl's favorite kind of movies are ones like Saw and Hostel. She doesn't understand how anyone can't like those kind of movies.

:smalleek:

Nota Biene
2007-06-23, 10:19 AM
Man, I saw that movie last night, and it scared the beejessus out of me.:smalleek: Would anyone care to speculate about the meaning of the ending? (by the way, could someone explain how to do spoiler tags? I'm a longtime lurker but first time poster, and I am not great with web tech.)

Serpentine
2007-06-23, 10:23 AM
[ spoiler ] Stuff [/spoiler], sans spaces (there's another code so you don't have to put spaces and things, but I don't know what that is).

Uh, it's been so long since I read/heard the story, I can't really suggest anything without seeing the movie.

Jack Squat
2007-06-24, 12:37 AM
[ spoiler ] Stuff [/spoiler], sans spaces (there's another code so you don't have to put spaces and things, but I don't know what that is).

it's code fillertext

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-24, 08:53 PM
Man, I saw that movie last night, and it scared the beejessus out of me.:smalleek: Would anyone care to speculate about the meaning of the ending?

Well, basically the guy was doing all this stuff because he'd lost all belief in an afterlife, God, etc. He was taking his frustration out on those who believe by writing all these books that debunked it.

So at the end you hear his daughter actually speak on the recording, showing she was a spirit come to him, proving there is life after death sort of thing.

However... with all else that was happening there I don't know why it'd have to really be her when it could easily have been the room itself producing the sound.

Lobsopdoy
2007-06-26, 02:20 PM
I thought it was just the room