PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Add Cure Wounds spells to spellbook?

thoroughlyS
2016-04-08, 01:59 PM
As a Wizard, I can add spells to my spellbook by copying magical writing. If a Bard scribes a scroll of Cure X Wounds, then it is an arcane scroll. Am I able to then add that spell to my spellbook?

To decipher an arcane magical writing (such as a single spell in written form in another’s spellbook or on a scroll), a character must make a Spellcraft check (DC 20 + the spell’s level). If the skill check fails, the character cannot attempt to read that particular spell again until the next day. A read magic spell automatically deciphers a magical writing without a skill check. If the person who created the magical writing is on hand to help the reader, success is also automatic.

Adding Spells to a Wizard's Spellbook
Wizards can add new spells to their spellbooks through several methods. If a wizard has chosen to specialize in a school of magic, she can learn spells only from schools whose spells she can cast.
Spells Copied from Another’s Spellbook or a Scroll: A wizard can also add a spell to her book whenever she encounters one on a magic scroll or in another wizard’s spellbook. No matter what the spell’s source, the wizard must first decipher the magical writing (see Arcane Magical Writings, above). Next, she must spend a day studying the spell. At the end of the day, she must make a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + spell’s level). A wizard who has specialized in a school of spells gains a +2 bonus on the Spellcraft check if the new spell is from her specialty school. She cannot, however, learn any spells from her prohibited schools.
If the check succeeds, the wizard understands the spell and can copy it into her spellbook (see Writing a New Spell into a Spellbook, below). The process leaves a spellbook that was copied from unharmed, but a spell successfully copied from a magic scroll disappears from the parchment.

A_S
2016-04-08, 02:04 PM
As a Wizard, I can add spells to my spellbook by copying magical writing. If a Bard scribes a scroll of Cure X Wounds, then it is an arcane scroll. Am I able to then add that spell to my spellbook?
You probably can add it to your spellbook, but that doesn't mean you can cast it, because:

A wizard casts arcane spells which are drawn from the sorcerer/wizard spell list.
(source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/sorcererWizard.htm))

Gallowglass
2016-04-08, 02:23 PM
Imagine the hilarity when those monsters kill you, though, and the ogre magi is flipping through your spellbook gleefully and suddenly "what the-? why is there a bunch of sheet music in here? 'Cure, Cure, Cure the wounds, Gently knit the flesh....' that's not even a good song!"

thoroughlyS
2016-04-08, 02:24 PM
However,

Whether a spell is arcane or divine, and whether a character prepares spells in advance or chooses them on the spot, casting a spell works the same way.
CHOOSING A SPELL
First you must choose which spell to cast. If you’re a cleric, druid, experienced paladin, experienced ranger, or wizard, you select from among spells prepared earlier in the day and not yet cast (see Preparing Wizard Spells, page 177, and Preparing Divine Spells, page 179). If you’re a bard or sorcerer, you can select any spell you know, provided you are capable of casting spells of that level or higher.
Once you’ve cast a prepared spell, you can’t cast it again until you prepare it again. (If you’ve prepared multiple copies of a single spell, you can cast each copy once.) If you’re a bard or sorcerer, casting a
spell counts against your daily limit for spells of that spell level, but you can cast the same spell again if you haven’t reached your limit.

A wizard’s level limits the number of spells she can prepare and cast (see Table 3–18: The Wizard, page 55). Her high Intelligence score (see Table 1–1: Ability Modifiers and Bonus Spells, page 8) might allow her to prepare a few extra spells. She can prepare the same spell more than once, but each reparation counts as one spell toward her daily limit. Preparing an arcane spell is an arduous mental task. To do so, the wizard must have an Intelligence score of at least 10 + the spell’s level.
Spell Selection and Preparation: Until she prepares spells from her spellbook, the only spells a wizard has available to cast are the ones that she already had prepared from the previous day and has not yet used. During the study period, she chooses which spells to prepare. The act of preparing a spell is actually the first step in casting it. A spell is designed in such a way that it has an interruption point near its end. This allows a wizard to cast most of the spell ahead of time and finish when it’s needed, even if she is under considerable pressure. Her spellbook serves as a guide to the mental exercises she must perform to create the spell’s effect. If a wizard already has spells prepared (from the previous day) that she has not cast, she can abandon some or all of them to make room for
new spells.
Prepared Spell Retention: Once a wizard prepares a spell, it remains in her mind as a nearly cast spell until she uses the prescribed components to complete and trigger it or until she abandons it. Upon the casting of a spell, the spell’s energy is expended and purged from the character, leaving her feeling a little tired. Certain other events, such as the effects of magic items or special attacks from monsters, can wipe a prepared spell from a character’s mind.
A Wizard must prepare spells to cast, and prepares them from her spellbook.

Zaq
2016-04-08, 02:43 PM
You can still only prepare spells that are legal for you to prepare, regardless of if you hack them into your spellbook somehow. You can't cast a spell from a banned school or a spell that's too high level for you, no matter whether it's in your spellbook or not. And you can't prepare a non-Wizard spell, because that simply isn't a valid spell for you.

I mean, the GM can choose to allow you to research a Wizard version of a spell you want, or they can choose to let you learn a normally non-Wizard spell as a result of in-game circumstances, but those are both a result of the GM saying yes rather than the rules saying yes.

DrMotives
2016-04-08, 02:53 PM
There are ways to do it, but it's not as simple as scribe a scroll made by a bard. The most straightforward way is the Arcane Disciple feat, which lets you add a domain (such as the Healing domain) to your wizard list. The 2 drawbacks of this are 1: Just like a cleric using domain spells, you can only prepare each spell once per day, and 2: You need a wisdom score instead of a intelligence score high enough to cast the spells. Of course, you could craft wands & scrolls of the domain spells to get around the single cast per day requirement, and by the time you're high enough level to worry about the wisdom requirement, you can get buffs to work around that as well.

thoroughlyS
2016-04-08, 02:58 PM
The most straightforward way is the Arcane Disciple feat, which lets you add a domain (such as the Healing domain) to your wizard list. I knew about Arcane Disciple, but didn't want to use it because I wanted my character to be non-religious. I really only need Cure Moderate Wounds specifically.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-04-08, 03:04 PM
I knew about Arcane Disciple, but didn't want to use it because I wanted my character to be non-religious. I really only need Cure Moderate Wounds specifically.

Wyrm wizard. It's in either races of the dragon or dragon magic and allows you to add a few spells from -any- list to your own spell list. Catch is; you're going to lose a level of progression to it.

thoroughlyS
2016-04-08, 03:12 PM
Wyrm wizard. It's in either races of the dragon or dragon magic and allows you to add a few spells from -any- list to your own spell list. Catch is; you're going to lose a level of progression to it.Wyrm Wizard doesn't make sense for my character's progression. I'm getting Touch of Healing (Complete Champion) at either level 3 or 6. I couldn't add a Conjuration(healing) until level 8. Also in-universe, there's a war between dragons and fiends (not Eberron) that's been going for 30 years.

Necroticplague
2016-04-08, 03:28 PM
Yes. You can write whatever you want in your spellbook. However, you can't cast something that's on your class list, so that''s kinda a waste of ink and pages.

Inevitability
2016-04-08, 03:44 PM
Take Extra Spell at level 3, copying CMW from the Runescarred Berserker list. You can now prepare and cast it as a 1st-level spell.

Eloel
2016-04-08, 03:44 PM
Yes. You can write whatever you want in your spellbook. However, you can't cast something that's on your class list, so that''s kinda a waste of ink and pages.

Unless you multiclass as an Archivist, that is.

thoroughlyS
2016-04-08, 03:49 PM
Take Extra Spell at level 3, copying CMW from the Runescarred Berserker list. You can now prepare and cast it as a 1st-level spell.I need a Conjuration(healing) spell of 2nd level or higher for Touch of Healing. Sorry for the confusion.

thoroughlyS
2016-04-08, 03:53 PM
Unless you multiclass as an Archivist, that is.I was just going to try straight Wizard.

animewatcha
2016-04-08, 03:53 PM
Take Extra Spell at level 3, copying CMW from the Runescarred Berserker list. You can now prepare and cast it as a 1st-level spell.

Wasn't that errata'ed to only be spell from your own class spell list?

KillianHawkeye
2016-04-08, 03:55 PM
I can write the recipe for chocolate cake in my spellbook, but that doesn't give me the ability to conjure delicious, chocolatey cakes at my enemies. :smallamused:

Eloel
2016-04-08, 03:56 PM
I need a Conjuration(healing) spell of 2nd level or higher for Touch of Healing. Sorry for the confusion.
Oh, that's easy. Heighten Spell to the rescue.

Jormengand
2016-04-08, 04:06 PM
Wasn't that errata'ed to only be spell from your own class spell list?

It was not AFAIK, although some people still insist that that's how it works.

Eloel
2016-04-08, 04:09 PM
It was not AFAIK, although some people still insist that that's how it works.

It was FAQ'd. FAQ is not official, but some people consider it as such.

ATHATH
2016-04-08, 04:11 PM
If you don't mind waiting until level 9, you might want to take a look at the Recaster PrC.

Necroticplague
2016-04-08, 04:14 PM
I need a Conjuration(healing) spell of 2nd level or higher for Touch of Healing. Sorry for the confusion.

Hmmm....the Extra Spell feat could be used to pick up something not on your class list. So Extra Spell (Hoard Life) should do the trick.

rrwoods
2016-04-08, 04:40 PM
Assuming you can get a Bard spell into your spell book this way, you then arguably "know" that spell, and could cast it via Alacritous Cogitation or Uncanny Forethought.

ATHATH
2016-04-08, 09:45 PM
Speaking of Bard spells...

If he can afford a Bard dip, a Wizard can use Bardblades to get every Bard spell as a spell known.

You could also just have a Sorcerer who knows the Dragonblood Spellpact spell give you Hoard Life as a spell known, as there's nothing that prevents him from trading spells known with non-Sorcerers.

Tiri
2016-04-08, 10:15 PM
You could also just have a Sorcerer who knows the Dragonblood Spellpact spell give you Hoard Life as a spell known, as there's nothing that prevents him from trading spells known with non-Sorcerers.

The wizard needs to be dragonblood, though.

Just use Extra Spell on a higher-level spell, then.

ekarney
2016-04-08, 10:41 PM
I could be wrong, and I know you said you wanted straight wizard, but doesnt Mage of the Arcane Order allow you to jank someone additional non-list spells into your retinue?

I use the word jank because I'm not sure if it's 100% legal, just legalish, I'm pretty sure it's MotAO since it's used in a couple of Wu Jen shenanigans.

Troacctid
2016-04-09, 12:08 AM
No, a spell has to be on your class spell list to scribe it into your spellbook.

Eloel
2016-04-09, 12:35 AM
No, a spell has to be on your class spell list to scribe it into your spellbook.

[Citation Needed]

Tiri
2016-04-09, 12:37 AM
I could be wrong, and I know you said you wanted straight wizard, but doesnt Mage of the Arcane Order allow you to jank someone additional non-list spells into your retinue?

I use the word jank because I'm not sure if it's 100% legal, just legalish, I'm pretty sure it's MotAO since it's used in a couple of Wu Jen shenanigans.

It's used with Wu Jen because it gets access to every Sor/Wiz spell in the PHB above 0th level. It doesn't let a wizard get anything out of list.

Troacctid
2016-04-09, 12:39 AM
[Citation Needed]

RC p160 "Magical Writings"

Spellcasters who use spellbooks can add a spell to their book whenever they find one on a scroll or in another caster’s spellbook. The spell to be copied must be on the copier’s class spell list.

thoroughlyS
2016-04-09, 12:51 AM
Spellcasters who use spellbooks can add a spell to their book whenever they find one on a scroll or in another caster’s spellbook. The spell to be copied must be on the copier’s class spell list.This is all I needed to put this to bed. I know some people frown on the Rules Compendium and its sneaky "erratas", but I advocate its validity. After re-reading Arcane Disciple, I've realized that the fluff doesn't really mention your character's conviction to the deity chosen, so I can still fluff it how I wanted originally. While this does make the thread kind of pointless, I learned that I can't just cast any spell written in a spellbook.

Eloel
2016-04-09, 01:00 AM
RC p160 "Magical Writings"

Copier, yes. Doesn't mean you can't get someone else to copy it into your spellbook.

Troacctid
2016-04-09, 01:10 AM
Copier, yes. Doesn't mean you can't get someone else to copy it into your spellbook.

"...can add a spell to their book..."

Not to someone else's.

Alex12
2016-04-09, 01:53 AM
If PF stuff is permitted, you could use Celestial Healing (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/celestial-healing) or Infernal Healing (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/i/infernal-healing) as alignment-appropriate along with Heighten Spell to get it to the appropriate level. You're not religious, you're just temporarily granting people the regenerative powers of extraplanar creatures!

Eloel
2016-04-09, 01:58 AM

Not to someone else's.

Ownership is mutable. Selling for a token price and buying it back lets you change ownership at a whim.

Coidzor
2016-04-09, 02:24 AM

Not to someone else's.

Does mastering a spellbook per Complete Arcane kick the previous master out of counting as its master or could a spellbook have multiple masters?

ekarney
2016-04-09, 05:41 AM
It's used with Wu Jen because it gets access to every Sor/Wiz spell in the PHB above 0th level. It doesn't let a wizard get anything out of list.

That's it! I haven't done anything funny with a Wu Jen for a while, since one of my players is playing one and I don't want to, well, I don't want him getting any "fun" ideas about the Spellguard of Silverymoon.

There's a way for the wizard to access spells from Cleric/Archivist lists. Maybe it was PrC shenanigans with Southern Magician or some other rudisplorkacy.