PDA

View Full Version : NPC idea, requesting some help!

SMac8988
2016-04-08, 02:52 PM
Hello fellow Giants. I am currently DMing for a small group, and have been giving them interchanging NPC's to add to the team as they see fit, allowing only one at a time. Been working pretty well, but they seem to be favoring a Ogre they saved their first session, and have been blowing off everyone else I have introduced.

They are about to head into the caves, and eventually into the Underdark, which I feel a full size Ogre may be more harm than good. So I want to give them a really cool replacement, mainly since they have kept this thing alive for a while. I have been sending mobs, events and general misfortune towards this Ogre since the start, and they intitially were suppose to sacrifice it but pulled off not only keeping it alive, but have given up personal rewards from missions to get him outfitted in armor and a enchanted club.

My idea is they have collected a crystal a while back I never told them what it does, but told them it seems to vibrate while they are holding it. I was thinking of putting a Warforge, deactivated, towards the start as a side mission kinda thing into the Underdark, and have him have a slot in his chest for the crystal. Basically my idea would be there would be a bunch of these crystals, each holding memories of previous either warriors or warforges and they could interchange them to get different class feats and leveled allies from this one warforge.

Does this seem like a good idea, or would it be best to just allow them too try and force this Ogre down into the darkness? I will never tell my players no, but plan to encourage not bringing Lumpy.

smcmike
2016-04-08, 02:55 PM
Sounds like a neat idea, but I wouldn't force their hand on the ogre, unless it's causing a specific problem.

SMac8988
2016-04-08, 03:24 PM
Sounds like a neat idea, but I wouldn't force their hand on the ogre, unless it's causing a specific problem.

Thankfully I created him as a "wounded" ogre, so his stats where lowered. But now that he is rocking armor and a magic club he hits hard but they have passed the point where he is a big issue.

Id never tell them they can't, just felt it would be a nice for then to get a good change. But Idk if they will... Unless the warforge is really cool!

JackPhoenix
2016-04-09, 04:28 PM
Perhaps the ogre is claustrophobic?

SMac8988
2016-04-09, 04:44 PM
Perhaps the ogre is claustrophobic?

Maybe, but I feel that could be a cope out. I am thinking, ill have the warforge as an enemy, with a dark crystal to start. And the crystal will shatter upon his defeat, then if they try their hero crystal, they will have him, if not he will still in the bottom of a deep hole for ever

MrStabby
2016-04-09, 04:57 PM
Sounds like you have created an NPC the players are really engaged with. To be honest, it may detract more from the game than adding to it if you took him away. Maybe make him unavailable for just a short bit of the adventure first?

Uigeadaily
2016-04-09, 05:44 PM
Sounds like you have created an NPC the players are really engaged with. To be honest, it may detract more from the game than adding to it if you took him away. Maybe make him unavailable for just a short bit of the adventure first?

I agree. In addition, rather than seeing Lumpy as a hindrance, you can easily take advantage of the player attachment to the character...

Perhaps some magical shenanigans via cursed item/wild magic/enemy npc causes the Ogre to be reduced to medium size? Their new quest is to find some means of returning him to his original size.

Perhaps you could arrange a circumstance where their Ogre friend has been kidnapped, with the trail coincidently leading into the Underdark? That way you can introduce the Warforged to help

SMac8988
2016-04-09, 06:42 PM
I agree. In addition, rather than seeing Lumpy as a hindrance, you can easily take advantage of the player attachment to the character...

Perhaps some magical shenanigans via cursed item/wild magic/enemy npc causes the Ogre to be reduced to medium size? Their new quest is to find some means of returning him to his original size.

Perhaps you could arrange a circumstance where their Ogre friend has been kidnapped, with the trail coincidently leading into the Underdark? That way you can introduce the Warforged to help

I have him currently built as what i'm calling an injuries ogre, his stats are lowered a decent amount and due to poor choices of the party he is only using one arm right now, tired to go toe to,toe with a billete.... Almost lost the arm, but I was nice.

My thing is more I want to give then options, thought the war forge being a constant possible new class could draw their attention.... Lil