PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Fey Elves, a Shapeshifting Race

Maxrim
2016-04-08, 04:51 PM
They call me a Fey Elf.
Good morning, how are you? I'm a Fey Elf.
I'm interested in things.
I'm not a real Elf,
But I am a real Fey;
I am an actual Fey.
I live like a Fey.

Called Elves because of the resemblance, these Fey are powerful animalistic Shapeshifters. They appear as blue-skinned humanoids with hair ranging through the grey-scale and eyes either along the first four letters of the rainbow or grey-scale. Their tattoos range in size depending on the importance of the tattoo to the individual, but are nearly always crude representations of the creature in question. Tattoo color is either white or black, depending on the individual.

Unlike many forms of shapeshifting, that of the Druid or Doppelganger, Fey Elves don't turn into a kind of creature, they turn into the aspect of a particular creature which they fold into their identities.

Fey Elven Traits
• +2 Strength, +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma.
• Medium size.
• Type: Fey (Shapechanger).
• A Fey Elf’s base land speed is 30 feet.
• Low-light vision.
• Scent.
• Racial Hit Dice: A Fey Elf begins with three levels of fey, which provide 3d6 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +1, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +3, and Will +3.
• Racial Skills: A Fey Elf’s fey levels give it skill points equal to 6 x (6 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Bluff, Hide, Knowledge (nature), Listen, Move Silently, Perform, and Spot.
• Racial Feats: A Fey Elf’s fey levels give it two feats. A Fey Elf may choose any one racial feat as a bonus feat.
• Special Qualities: Tattoos (see below)
• Automatic Languages: Sylvan.
• Favored Class: Barbarian.
• Level adjustment +4.

Tattoos: A Fey Elf is born with 1d3-1 tattoos, inherited from their parents. A Fey Elf may form a new tattoo through 12 hours of meditation within 24 hours of defeating the subject of the tattoo. Each tattoo represents an Animal or Magical beast of Medium or Small size. The maximum number of tattoos that a Fey Elf can maintain is ½ their hit dice +1.

As a full round action, a Fey Elf may transform into the subject of a tattoo. The subject form is a unique being of the race or species represented, with all the skills, feats, and class features of the Fey Elf, but with the extraordinary racial abilities (as well as physical ability scores) of the new form. Type and subtype change to match that of the new form, though the Shapechanger subtype is retained. The Fey Elf retains this ability regardless of form.

The Fey Elf remains in the current form until a full round action is used to revert or access another form. The tattoos remain on the new body. The greatest hit dice a form can have is equal to your the Fey Elf's.
Unlike other shapeshifting spells, each form a Fey Elf has access to records statuses and hit points separately, meaning that a Fey Elf could fight until near-death, shift forms, and be back at full health, then later it could shift back to the previous form and still be near-death, regardless of any time passed or rest taken in the new form. The hit points of each form are based on the Fey Elf's hit dice (not the form's) and the form's Constitution (not the Fey Elf's).

A True Seeing spell or similar magic reveals every form a Fey Elf has access to.
This ability is otherwise similar to the Alter Self spell.

Racial Feats:

Great and Small [Racial]
Prerequisites: Fey Elf, Dex 13
Benefits: You may assume Large and Tiny forms through the use of your tattoos.
At 10 hit dice, you may assume Huge forms through the use of your tattoos.
At 20 hit dice, you may assume Gargantuan and Diminutive forms through the use of your tattoos.
Special: By taking this feat a second time, your range of sizes increases by one on either end. For example, a Fey Elf with 20 hit dice and two instances of this feat could assume forms anywhere from Fine to Colossal.

Verdant Deviation [Racial]
Prerequisites: Fey Elf, Wis 17
Benefits: You may assume Plant forms through the use of your tattoos.
At 10 hit dice, you may assume Fey forms through the use of your tattoos.
At 20 hit dice, your hit die caps for all forms increase by 2.

Urban Deviation [Racial]
Prerequisites: Fey Elf, Int 13
Benefits: You may assume Vermin forms through the use of your tattoos.
At 10 hit dice, you may assume Humanoid forms through the use of your tattoos.
At 20 hit dice, your hit die caps for all forms increase by 2.

Planar Deviation [Racial]
Prerequisites: Fey Elf, Cha 19, any other Fey Elven racial feat.
Benefits: You are considered Native to all planes.
At 10 hit dice, you may assume Elemental forms through the use of your tattoos.
At 20 hit dice, you may assume Outsider forms through the use of your tattoos.

Draconic Deviation [Racial]
Prerequisites: Fey Elf, Cha 19, any other Fey Elven racial feat.
Benefits: You gain immunity to Frightful Presence.
At 10 hit dice, you may assume Monstrous Humanoid forms through the use of your tattoos.
At 20 hit dice, you may assume Dragon forms through the use of your tattoos.

Talented Aspector [Racial]
Prerequisites: Fey Elf, Con 15, any other Fey Elven racial feat.
Benefits: You gain access to additional forms based on which forms you already have access to.
If you have access to Vermin forms, you gain access to Ooze forms.
If you have access to Humanoid forms, you gain access to Giant forms.
If you have access to Fey forms, you gain access to Aberration forms.
If you have access to Monstrous Humanoid forms, you gain access to Living Construct forms.
If you have access to Dragon forms, you gain access to Construct forms.
If you have access to Outsider forms, you gain access to Undead and Deathless forms.

Thanks for reading! I use the word 'defeated' in the text for Tattoos as intentionally vague. It gives the DM final say, and allows for nonlethal or even nonviolent conflict. Any thoughts or criticisms you've got would be appreciated.