PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Where's My Alignment Now?

glitterbaby
2016-04-08, 05:46 PM
So I've posted about my level 20 dwarf wizard on here before. If you've forgotten I've asked for advice on spell preparation, for ways to beat a golem's magic immunity, and even for how to cover up a genocide. Something recently happened.

So we were fighting the High Cleric of Vecna, one of the final BBEGs, and he had the artifact that lets him command the Tarrasque. Now in this campaign, Big T is apparently really linked to the material plane or something, we don't know. Well my wizard wins initiative in the fight and sets up a ton of BFC/damage/etc and he basically disables the entire room. We're happy. Well the enemies get some plot armor and can cast some Miracles to set the slate back to normal. My wizard casts a Celerity and puts up a Prismatic Sphere. The High Cleric decides it's a decent idea to command Big T to charge my Sphere. He passes all his saves but for the Plane Shift and I send him to the Negative Energy Plane. He's gone, High Cleric tries to walk cast a Miracle. For whatever reason, maybe the next turn happened or something or , I had another immediate action so I walked out and stopped his spell. The rest of the party came up out and we win the fight, yay. Entire room goes dark, weird.

So the Godslayer shows up and we leave. He's chasing us around, we have to blow a Wish on masking our trail and we lose him. We get back to the floating island with the highest powered wizards on the plane and they're doing some ritual, it looks like they need some help. The former-PC-before-he-left-for-law-school-wizard joins the ritual so I join in too. Ritual finishes and an infantile Big T shows up in the center of the circle. The session ends, we have no clue what happened.

Next session starts. We get a little explanation. Basically the planes started moving towards each other which shouldn't happen with the laws of everything. It's all very confusing and nobody really knows much. All across the entire plane, all the not-adults are dead. The fallen paladin is thrilled.

So tl;dr I accidentally killed millions now. Where is my alignment? I think we agreed I was CN/TN/LN before (definitely not Good and maybe a bit south of neutral).

Keltest
2016-04-08, 05:57 PM
I think the key word there is accidentally. You had no idea that had happened, nor does it sound like anybody knows what is going on. I would rule it doesn't affect your alignment. Its what you do about it going forward that matters.

Gildedragon
2016-04-08, 06:57 PM
Same alignment as before; you had no way of knowing.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-04-08, 07:05 PM

This.

It was a cosmic level event that you couldn't possibly have foreseen. Besides, if anybody's responsible, it's the BBEG that ordered big T to charge the sphere, not you.

Red Fel
2016-04-08, 09:24 PM
I think the key word there is accidentally. You had no idea that had happened, nor does it sound like anybody knows what is going on. I would rule it doesn't affect your alignment. Its what you do about it going forward that matters.

This.

It was a cosmic level event that you couldn't possibly have foreseen. Besides, if anybody's responsible, it's the BBEG that ordered big T to charge the sphere, not you.

Seconded, thirded... Whatever. You didn't actively undertake to do a thing, you had no way of reasonably anticipating the thing would result, the thing was the result of the bad guy's actions and you just accidentally set it off. Lucky you, you're not Evil. Hooray.

Ugh. Genocide is wasted on the hopelessly Good.

Kol Korran
2016-04-09, 12:00 PM
Not much to add... I think that your alignment will depend more on your reaction, and actions, now that you know what happened...

Alignment is not just a function of results, but of intention as well. (Quite possibly more. I won't get into that discussion).

darksolitaire
2016-04-09, 12:09 PM
So tl;dr I accidentally killed millions now. Where is my alignment? I think we agreed I was CN/TN/LN before (definitely not Good and maybe a bit south of neutral).

Sounds more like your DM killed all those millions to me.

glitterbaby
2016-04-10, 12:49 AM
Hmm looks like I'm getting by a lot cleaner than I thought. To be honest, another player and I were talking and we didn't think it would have a huge impact on the alignment either. If it makes anyone feel better my character kinda had a psychological break. He thinks he's a monster and he's embracing it. No tactic is off limits now in his pursuit for the destruction of Evil. He's definitely going to be taking a dive in the coming sessions.

Gildedragon
2016-04-10, 12:58 AM
Oh I could definitely see that. A "fork evil! They forced my hand and now they'll really get it"
As long as your character still protects the good and neutral I could see him going to the grey side of Good.