PDA

View Full Version : Domain of the Spider Queen

MrStabby
2016-04-08, 07:06 PM
So a friend of mine is talking about doing an underdark themed campaign so I was thinking of playing a priestess of Lolth.

The idea I was going to pitch was:

Spider Domain Spells:
1st Ensnaring Strike, Entangle
3rd Web, Spider Climb
5th Slow, Hunger of Hadar
7th Giant Insect, Freedom of Movement
9th Insect Plague, Dominate Person

Level 1: Armour and Martial Weapon Proficiencies
Level 1: You may pass through difficult terrain as if it were open ground

Level 2: Channel Divinity
As an action for the next minute you attacks apply the poisoned status to any creature you hit with a melee weapon attack that fails a Constitution saving throw. At the end of each of their turns that creature may take the save again to shrug of the effects of the attack.

Level 6: Starting at 6th level you may use your channel divinity to cast conjure animals to summon giant spiders or swarms of insects as if it were cast out of your highest level spell slot.

Level 8: Divine Strike - do an extra d8 poison damage, rising to 2d8 at level 14.

level 17: Spells you cast ignore restrictions or penalties for size and creature type.

Basically it is themed around spiders, poison damage and anything that can be fluffed as a web (and freedom of movement for moving in webs).

Does it seem a) thematic, b) fun to play and for others to play with, c) reasonably well balanced?

Inevitability
2016-04-09, 02:27 AM
I suggest posting this in the homebrew forum.

Specter
2016-04-09, 12:55 PM
Seems balanced. You could also take the cleric Death Domain in the DMG and take the spell list of the Underdark druid (Land).

Envyus
2016-04-10, 12:37 AM
Or just use the trickery domain that Lolth is said to give in the books.

Why would a Drow Priestess of Lolth want to join an adventure group anyway. (In fact I think Underdark games are one of the worst places to play things like Drow and Priestess of Lolth. But that is just my opinion.)

Inevitability
2016-04-10, 02:01 AM
Why would a Drow Priestess of Lolth want to join an adventure group anyway. (In fact I think Underdark games are one of the worst places to play things like Drow and Priestess of Lolth. But that is just my opinion.)

Why would a dwarf cleric of moradin join an adventuring group? Why would a human cleric of pelor join an adventuring group? Really, you're making it sound like a priestess of Lolth is a huge problem.

Envyus
2016-04-10, 02:52 PM
Why would a dwarf cleric of moradin join an adventuring group? Why would a human cleric of pelor join an adventuring group? Really, you're making it sound like a priestess of Lolth is a huge problem.

Not a huge problem, but a problem. In Drow cities Priestess of Lolth are the top of the food chain. Unless they were forced to flee for their lives there is no reason why one would leave.

With Dwarfs and Humans I can see them leaving for the call of Adventure. But a Priestess of Lolth I really can't unless they had no choice. And I for sure can't see them forming a party with non drow. Particularly if it is not clear that she is in charge and that all of the others are her lessers.