PDA

View Full Version : Player-Controlled Shapeshifters, how do you do it?

Hazrond
2016-04-08, 10:28 PM
So i have a personal penchant for characters with shapeshifting, such as Changelings, Tibbits, and Pathfinder's Kitsune. But i'm curious how others deal with a character who, as part of their concept, is intentionally hiding certain major aspects of themself from their party?

And how do you deal with things when for weird and sometimes pointless reasons the DM breaks that secrecy?
For instance, one character of mine was a Kitsune in a Pathfinder game, his backstory involved him being the only survivor of a dead noble family that was being hunted for knowing some very potentially damaging secrets. I planned to reveal bits and pieces of this over time to the party, but then the DM threw me right in with the party finding my character passed out drunk in his natural form in the middle of nowhere.
How do you deal with that as a player?

And how do you deal with shapeshifting PCs increased ability to maneuver secretly and perform shenanigans as a DM?

MisterKaws
2016-04-09, 01:00 AM
Wizards can do the same as shapeshifters anyway, so just deal with them the same way you'd deal with a wizard who spams the same stealth-focused spell the entire day.

Gildedragon
2016-04-09, 01:34 AM
So i have a personal penchant for characters with shapeshifting, such as Changelings, Tibbits, and Pathfinder's Kitsune. But i'm curious how others deal with a character who, as part of their concept, is intentionally hiding certain major aspects of themself from their party?

And how do you deal with things when for weird and sometimes pointless reasons the DM breaks that secrecy?
For instance, one character of mine was a Kitsune in a Pathfinder game, his backstory involved him being the only survivor of a dead noble family that was being hunted for knowing some very potentially damaging secrets. I planned to reveal bits and pieces of this over time to the party, but then the DM threw me right in with the party finding my character passed out drunk in his natural form in the middle of nowhere.

And how do you deal with shapeshifting PCs increased ability to maneuver secretly and perform shenanigans as a DM?

If they have any such secrets they ought communicate them to me beforehand.
then there are two ways to go about it:
One is: I institute note passing as a way to communicate with the DM: they have to give me a copy of the character, and in the note keep the info terse; I'll 'separate' their character from the party and they can tell actions that they are 'doing' away from the party so as to throw the other players off the scent.
Though that is a fair bit of extra work
The other, and far easier one: I encourage them to tell the players. and then the PCs' awareness of stuff regarding that character has to be done with opposed rolls.
an "i want to follow Hazrond's character" would be met with a "why?" and chance for the 'sneaky' player to roll an attempt to sneak away making it a: Spot v Hide and Listen v Move Silently.

Kol Korran
2016-04-09, 02:19 AM
I didn't quite deal with actual shapeshifters, but open of my players once played a sort of a beguiler, with liberal use of disguise self, which is a bit similar. Though I too have a like for Shapshifters (Currently playing a similar concept in Shadowrun), and so I've given this some thought. There are a few things I think can help:
1. Talk with the DM- what do you both expect?
A lot of the problems often may arise from different expectation between DM and players. I like to talk with each player, about what they wish to achieve with their characters, what sort of experience are they looking for, what is important for them, and so on. Especially about aspects of the character that as a DM, I may have ideas to mess with/ challenge the player.

For example, your Kitsune character- Have you talked with the DM about your plan to reveal things slowly? Tell him that this was crucial to you, and that you wished to explore this for a long period? This may have been crucial to avoiding this.

The DM and player should talk about expectations, and how to "work together" On suff. I'll come to that a bit later on...

2. Limitations of Shape****ing:
Players who seek shapeshifting (For disguise and impersonation rather than power from forms) expect to be going around everywhere, shapeshifting and fooling everyone, playing tricks and "super spy". DMs on the other hand may fear just that, and dealing with something so unexpected, and which can "easily" turn investigations/ struggles upside down. This may lead to frustrations on both ends, as the player may found out that impersonation can have serious challenges, and the DM may find that he needs to plan/ adjust more, most of it on the fly.

But shapeshifting is not the end-all of impersonation. It is but one step. Impersonation is good for making up a character on the spot, or for very short impersonations of a specific character, but impersonating someone for a long run, or with people who know them well, or when people EXPECT such shenanigens (In Eberron for example changelings are part of the culture, and people and institutions might well expect them and employ means to counter them).

You need to have very high social skills, many times knowledge skills, and many times- you need inside info- how a specific person acts, behaves, possibly codes and lots more. In D&D, when you deal with someone who is familiar with the person you're impersonating, or with the subject at hand, can very easily, and very fast ruin your "shenanigens". I'm not saying the DM should use these all the time, but both DM and player should be aware that taking someone image is but one small (Though important) step in a long hustle, or hustling "people in the know".

A few examples:
- You're impersonating a city guard. This can work well to intimidate some local gangs, or may enable you access to an investigation site, but it can become a lot more problematic when dealing with fellow guards. (Who may know the guard, or be surprised at the new guard, and may catch upon you not knowing regulations very well, procedures, not dressing right, not knowing their terms, and so on).
-You wish to impersonate a young naive person, who "gets joined" to a cult. Seems easy enough, but if you start acting suspicious ("Oh sorry! These are the archives? I must have gotten lost!") people might start checking on you, and your background ("So you're from Little Village? I was there 2 months ago. Is that cute waitress still working at the Inn? What was it's name? And the waitress?") and so on.
- You might not have the needed skills. Say you wish to infiltrate the Evil Religion of Doom. You come as a cleric from Far Away land, but then they due a communal prayer, and oops- you forgot to bless the dark lord in it's original name by the holy texts! Oops, you forgot to drink a bit of your own blood, before drinking from the blood chalice... Too many "Oopses" (Due to low knowledge religion or lack of inside info) Will kill the impersonation.
- You're impersonating an important business man at the merchant guilds hush hush secret meeting. Then someone comes at you, with a warm smile" My oh my! It has been a long time! Do you remember?" Or someone angry "You! You have the AUDACITY to show your face here?!"
- You wish to enter a very secure place (Prison, Bank, The Kingdom's treasury). I would fully expect you to face codes, magical surveillance and magic specifically used to counter shape shifting, and such... ("Good evening Mr. Charles! How was your vacation? Oh? The Vaults? well, you know the procedure, please come this way for our psion to recognize your thought patterns...) As a DM though, I'd use such extreme measures only for places and circumstances that require such high level security and suspicion.

Yes, you can do some research and gather info, but you need to know very well that there are limits to how much you could prepare, and that there may be surprises. I'm not saying the DM should go looking for things to trip you, (Though a bit of a small challenge here and there should be cool), but if the situation and circumstances make it difficult, then it's difficult.

In the Shadowrun game we play, we were trying to track a human turned ghoul. We found there was a con guy that tried to reach ghouls and offer them "Spiritual guidance". We suspected them, and decided to try and fool them. I used magic to seem like a ghoul, and we contacted them (Through the Mertrix). We got found out, cause I didn't know well enough how to impersonate a ghoul (I read and learned, but this cult was used to dealing with them on a daily basis), and got in a serious mess due to that (Nearly died).

For you see, impersonation is a VERY risky business... Many times, you're the only one with decent skills there, so you go in... mostly alone... (Yeah, the others may stay some distance away as back up, but that is not enough most times), so when the S**T hits the fans, well... better have a quick escape program!

Yeah, you can invest a lot in the impersonation game- acquire mind reading abilities, magic that protects against screening, and more. If you truly go all out, and we've talked about this, then good for you! If you've invested this much into it, then you've done it on the expense of other abilities, and so you should get your fill. Note though, that not everything is fool proof, and surprises may still arise... 9You've passed all the guards, passed all the test, and reached the archives. Yet the librarian ghost, on the ether, wonders why you, the only one who knows of her, didn't greet her with your nod and prayer this time. You always seem to do that! Or... is it not... you?)

3. Working things out with the DM:
You need to work with the DM on this. Part of it was setting expectations when designing the character, but part of it is during play. D&D is not well suited for subterfuge and shenanigans such as this (D&D is more suited to kill/ blast stuff). So many DMs, especially those less used to improvisation, become very wary and alert when you suddenly pull a different character.

As a player, it's important to relay, communicate, what your basic intention is. This enables the DM to think, adjust responses and reactions, and thus lower their alertness, and better get at what you're trying to do:
The party is going to the slums, which are a gang war turf between a hobgoblin gang and some cutthroat halflings). You could change into a lot of people there:
Player: "I turn into a fat looking merchant type, looking around as if trying to look from the place,but with obvious signs that he's not."
DM: "What's your angle?"
The player may have various motives here- "I want to look as a target, lure them in/ I want to hire one the halflings, look rich enough to afford them/ I want to look for info- prostitutes,street beggars, inns, you know.../ I thought the hobgoblins respected men of wealth and power no? I'm seeking to impress them/ "I want to hire me some kick ass body guards! Hobgob guard? Halfling assassins? Hell yeah!"
If you relate and explain to the DM, s/he can prepare better, and try to work the scene/ encounter better. (Though they may spring some surprises on you, say that you wish to hire the halflings, but you also look like a target, and get ambushed).

And it goes both ways- The GM usually have a fuller understanding of the world, and as such, when the player communicates their desires, s/he can point to obvious problems, that the character should have known, or possible complications. Going with the example above:
- "You wish to hire the halflings? Well sure, but from what you all gathered, they wont' just approach you on the street, as they are very suspicious." The player may respond then "Oh, ok. Then I'll put some time in here, and try to learn more of them. I think I'll hire a room, get myself know, let whatever eyes wish to examine to check me out."
- "You're looking for info, playing the rich patron? Cool. Shouldn't be a problem. From the gangs reputation, and from your bringing on the streets, you suspect that a lot of the population lives in fear of the gangs." Player "hmmmm... Ok, so more subtle... Nothing too straightforward."
- "You want to impress the hobgoblins? As someone who grew here, you know they consider humans as usurpers and oppressors. Are you sure you want to look like one?"
Note that the DM should convey mostly obvious, well known facts about the world and situation. It's not meant to make things difficult, just work in the world, and prevent frustrations from simple mistakes. Secret stuff (Say, the hobgoblin leader is actually a fan of human culture, and seeks to emulate them) should become available only upon investigation...

4. The suspicion meter:
It's a tool I use as a DM for any situation when deception is used. At first contact, I try to gauge how suspicious the situation looks for the people in it. (A bit like the bluff table in the DMG). If you're coming into a sailors bar, and you come as a saiolr it's one thing. If you come as a guard after work it's another. If you come as the chief of the guards, well, that's another...
If you come in disguise into a country festival it's one thing, if you come into the town's barracks it's another, if you come into the top secret headquarters of a cult of doom, well, that's another.
As a DM, I try to use these factors and other to decide how suspicious people are, and how guarded they are. Depending on that, I may give more or less hints to the player, if they are doing well, or if someone starts being suspicious, and how obvious their suspicion is.
2 examples:
Say you wish to investigate the Quartermaster of The Order of something something... The order is fairly relaxed these days, no major threat, and They have a general meeting hall where applicants or people who wish to learn of them, or hire them can come and ask. The player comes as an unknown duke, with his retinue of guards (The PCs), and puts on a good show. If some of his act may arise suspicion, most likely he wont' be directly confronted about it, or no immediate action taken.
Order Initiate: "Wait, I thought you cam from X. Don't people there worship deity Y, not deity Z?"
The player laughs, and bluffs saying there are more and such, easing the tension. If he continues to alert suspicion, suspicion will rise, yet fairly slowly, and the player might well get wing that he isn't doing well, and may adjust accordingly.

As a DM it's also a tool for challenge and tension, putting a bit of pressure on the player, but letting him/ her adjust, and see how far s/he'll go.

In more serious circumstances, suspicions and alertness may be high from the get go, and it might be far less obvious that the deception failed. An extreme example:
The player wishes to infiltrate a small mind flayers' enclave. S/he gets a helmet that protects against mind reading, and an insignia off slavers that deal with them, and are on neutral grounds with the mind flayers.
As he reaches the enclave entrance, he exchanges a few words with the mind flayer and guards,who let him in. unknown to him, part of the initial talk included a code, which he failed, and the mind flayer sent a telepathic message to it's fellows. "We may have an intruder... Make sure to learn what is known..." :smalleek: 9Did I mention having an escape plan?)

5. The matter of other players:
This is as important as it is to talk to the DM. Depending on your group, your social contract, the trust level between members, you may need to discuss the following with the group:
- Are they ok with someone playing a shapeshifter? With shenanigans that may detract from other preferences of game (Such as kill/ blast monsters. Some players will resent you subverting/ going over the adventure)
- Should there characters know your character is a shapeshifter?
- To what degree is it accepted you work your shenanigans on the fly, to what degree does it need group agreement? ("What? You tried to trick the king?! You A**hole! I'm sick from your stupid games! You know how much trouble you got us into?")
- To what degree, do the other players agree your shenanigans involving their characters? (VERY important. Some would love it, some would hate it)

6. A few more helpful tools:
When you shape shift into a new character, you basically spring up a whole new character into the game, which may be clear in your mind, but maybe confusing to the DM, and other players. You need to make the new character clear to them all, so they could interact with it better. Part of it is relaying your intention (As suggested above),but a few more helpful tools I've found:
- A short, 2-3 sentences description. Less specific details 9%ft tall, about 82 lb), and more initial impression (Looks like a tall haughty elf, snobbish, finely dressed). Be sure to include a bit of looks ,a bit of attitude, something people could easily imagine.
- I've found that for shapeshifters, I like to make a few "General stock characters", that can be useful for many different occasions, but which I can use repeatedly. For example, for an Eberron game, a changeling made about 5-6 characters:
* An Aundarian mid level noble, fine clothes, but also very much a working man.
* A young half elven courier, working for house Orien (not of the house, but I carried a house insignia). She had a few arms, and an armor, which helped her double as ranger, wood guide and more...
* A hobgoblin scarred war veteran, looking tough and sombre.
* A Sovereign Host traveling priest and merchant. (Praise Kol Korran! :smalltongue:)
And so on...
In play, when I sprinted one of these characters, the DM and players all knew who this character was, and what to expect, and a bit more of how to interact. It helped facilitate stuff. It also helped me get into character quicker. You can of course make other characters on the fly, but this helps a great deal.
- Have a set of pics that might suit various looks. It helps a lot to just show the party what your new character looks like, and it helps immersion. If you can do it, print some image cards, and place them in a prominent place when you're playing someone else. It helps.
- When coming up with a new character, a quick way to get people to understand who your character is, may be to refer to previous well known characters (From the game, or the media), to get people to get you quickly:
* "Sort of like Buffy- Normal looking teen, but with confidence, daring, and wit!"
* "A bit like that Queen of the elves we met- beautiful, elegant, pristine. Only this character is also snarky..."
* "Playing him like Yoda, only also blind...- See you not am I!"
* "Protos! This guy look like a protos- Glowing eyes, plated scales for skin, no mouth! Now, how's that for intimidation?"

Ok, this has been a bit long winded, but I hope it helps. Good luck to you!

Kelb_Panthera
2016-04-09, 05:06 AM

First, talk to your DM to see if he's up for this kind of cloak and dagger stuff and how much he's willing to work with. On the interplayer side, you ought be able to rely on other players choosing not to metagame but if you can't or don't want to then you have to get the DM in on it because -he- necessarily has to know what you're playing.

What your DM did there would be seriously inappropriate -unless- you didn't talk to him about your character and/or failed to convey the desire to keep your character's race a secret from the other PC's.

I love to run cloak-and-dagger espionage games. Control of the flow of information is the name of the game and -everyone- is expected to be constantly lying about who they are and disguises aren't even a little uncommon. Generally, you have to get the players to understand and accept that they have to trust each other and their contacts in spite of this. It is an awesomely amusing paradox of the spy game; everyone's lying, everyone knows it, and everyone has to trust each other to an extent in spite of all the lies.

The important thing is to remember that it doesn't matter for the most part. Who the character is isn't nearly so important as who he's percieved to be and unless he's disguised himself as someone that matters his disguise is utterly unimportant

If he -is- disguised as someone that matters then those he interacts with that know his assumed identity can make the usual spot and sense motive checks against him to pierce the disguise. The +10 isn't insurmountable. Those familiar with the assumed identity get bonuses ranging from +4 to +10 depending on how intimately they are familiar.

As Kol Korran pointed out in his 4th point (good stuff in that post, in general), people that have reason to be suspicious of everyone they interact with under their current circumstance can also make the checks to penetrate a disguise without the bonus. In circumstances where there's no inherent suspicion and the disguised character doesn't interact with anyone or only makes cursory interactions then they generally go by unnoticed but they'd go by just as unnoticed if they weren't in disguise.

It is of serious note that being caught out in a disguise is -much- worse than being caught in a place you shouldn't be without a disguise. With no disguise, you might be able to play it off as being there mistakenly. If you're caught in a disguise, you were clearly trying to deceive people to gain entry.

Hope this helps some.

Quertus
2016-04-09, 12:32 PM
Allow me to present a slightly different philosophy: the GM can't spoil your secrets or ruin your backstory if the GM doesn't know your secrets / backstory.

I've learned the hard way, If you don't know your DM and trust them to handle it well, you don't waste a concept like this on them.

You either feel the GM out with smaller secrets (ones you don't mind getting out), or you run characters where there is no need for DM involvement in your secrets - at least until after you have revealed them yourself, in character.

But, then, I might be biased: I don't think any of my GMs knowing my backstory had ever significantly added to my fun, but their abuse of my backstory certainly has significantly detracted from my fun.

Hazrond
2016-04-09, 01:01 PM
3. Working things out with the DM:
You need to work with the DM on this. Part of it was setting expectations when designing the character, but part of it is during play. D&D is not well suited for subterfuge and shenanigans such as this (D&D is more suited to kill/ blast stuff). So many DMs, especially those less used to improvisation, become very wary and alert when you suddenly pull a different character.

As a player, it's important to relay, communicate, what your basic intention is. This enables the DM to think, adjust responses and reactions, and thus lower their alertness, and better get at what you're trying to do:
The party is going to the slums, which are a gang war turf between a hobgoblin gang and some cutthroat halflings). You could change into a lot of people there:
Player: "I turn into a fat looking merchant type, looking around as if trying to look from the place,but with obvious signs that he's not."
DM: "What's your angle?"
The player may have various motives here- "I want to look as a target, lure them in/ I want to hire one the halflings, look rich enough to afford them/ I want to look for info- prostitutes,street beggars, inns, you know.../ I thought the hobgoblins respected men of wealth and power no? I'm seeking to impress them/ "I want to hire me some kick ass body guards! Hobgob guard? Halfling assassins? Hell yeah!"
If you relate and explain to the DM, s/he can prepare better, and try to work the scene/ encounter better. (Though they may spring some surprises on you, say that you wish to hire the halflings, but you also look like a target, and get ambushed).

And it goes both ways- The GM usually have a fuller understanding of the world, and as such, when the player communicates their desires, s/he can point to obvious problems, that the character should have known, or possible complications. Going with the example above:
- "You wish to hire the halflings? Well sure, but from what you all gathered, they wont' just approach you on the street, as they are very suspicious." The player may respond then "Oh, ok. Then I'll put some time in here, and try to learn more of them. I think I'll hire a room, get myself know, let whatever eyes wish to examine to check me out."
- "You're looking for info, playing the rich patron? Cool. Shouldn't be a problem. From the gangs reputation, and from your bringing on the streets, you suspect that a lot of the population lives in fear of the gangs." Player "hmmmm... Ok, so more subtle... Nothing too straightforward."
- "You want to impress the hobgoblins? As someone who grew here, you know they consider humans as usurpers and oppressors. Are you sure you want to look like one?"
Note that the DM should convey mostly obvious, well known facts about the world and situation. It's not meant to make things difficult, just work in the world, and prevent frustrations from simple mistakes. Secret stuff (Say, the hobgoblin leader is actually a fan of human culture, and seeks to emulate them) should become available only upon investigation... I try to do this, and this is why whenever i make a character i talk with the DM pretty extensively to make sure the backstory and concept fit with the world. But whenever i make a shapeshifter, regardless of which DM i am playing with, they always somehow seem to misunderstand me and ruin something within the first 5 minutes of the character existing. (Like for instance, ANY CHARACTER EVER that has ANY reason to be hiding, no, i dont just walk around looking like the face on the wanted posters, and no i dont just sit there in the bar as an obvious member of a shapeshifter race [/facepalm])

5. The matter of other players:
This is as important as it is to talk to the DM. Depending on your group, your social contract, the trust level between members, you may need to discuss the following with the group:
- Are they ok with someone playing a shapeshifter? With shenanigans that may detract from other preferences of game (Such as kill/ blast monsters. Some players will resent you subverting/ going over the adventure)
- Should there characters know your character is a shapeshifter?
- To what degree is it accepted you work your shenanigans on the fly, to what degree does it need group agreement? ("What? You tried to trick the king?! You A**hole! I'm sick from your stupid games! You know how much trouble you got us into?")
- To what degree, do the other players agree your shenanigans involving their characters? (VERY important. Some would love it, some would hate it)
I rarely tend to make my shapeshifters clash with the party interests (for instance, going over the adventure), however the part that bothers me is when the big secret of BEING a shapeshifter is ruined in the first five minutes. I like to make large complicated backstories with lots of moving parts then slowly reveal them to the party over time, sometimes out of necessity or sometimes trust, but i really hate when i put alot of work into something only for someone else to break it and ruin the storytelling it could have been used for. :smallannoyed:

As for shenanigans i rarely do much with the ability and mostly use it for fluff purposes, the biggest shenanigan i can think of was the time that my changeling used his shapeshifting to escape the effect of a Baleful Polymorph he had been inflicted with at low levels (his favorite guise was a Dwarf, and when others saw the dwarf get polymorphed, then immediately turn back, it gave them a bit of a start :smallbiggrin:)

Krazzman
2016-04-09, 01:28 PM
I personally ask for rough backstories on the conceptual level. Basically.
For the next campaign I want some more detailed stuff. With topics they want to keep secret, that should not come up, some secrets that should come up and what they want. (It's the follow up campaign after they will destroy the magical network of their dimension in the current one)

IF one of them had the power of shapechange/shift I would ask him to ask him how he would want to use it IC and what he wants OOC of it to appear like.
I would love to reintroduce the Eberron Changelings into my current PF world. But the changeling race that is "available" for pathfinder is just a rubbish Hag-born instead of the offspring of a Doppelgänger.

Troacctid
2016-04-09, 01:46 PM
I generally allow players to look at each other's character sheets. I think it promotes teamwork when everyone on the team is aware of everyone else's abilities. I also don't like players keeping secrets from the rest of the team—I want the characters to trust one another. The kind of story where players bicker and backstab and, in this case, conceal important information from their comrades...that's not the story I want to be telling.

My main issue is, when one party member is keeping a secret from the others, it creates a conflict between metagame knowledge and in-character knowledge. You as a player see the other player passing notes and being covert, but your character doesn't. This creates an incentive to break character and have your character be suspicious of the shapeshifter for no in-universe reason.

The other issue is that I want players to be able to put their heads together and brainstorm solutions to problems. If you're the only one who is allowed to know you're a Tibbit, then "Hey, let's have Fluffer McKitty go into cat form to discreetly case the joint" becomes verboten in those brainstorm sessions. This annoys me as a player, and I carry it over when I DM.