PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Alraune

Deviantheart
2016-04-09, 12:37 AM
I had posted this on Dnd wiki, and wanted to make a copy of it here for further feedback, and in case if I need emergency back up.

I will not be posting the image, due to that most Alraune pictures are very revealing, and the one I used was no exception.

Alraune

Beware the forests young lad, for you may never return once the Alraune find you.

Physical Description

The Alraune are beautiful men and women in enormous flowers with huge petals. The bulb carrying this flower have a large quantity of vines growing out of them used for movement and to absorb food from the ground. They are shades of green, and have leaves and flowers that grow out of their humanoid form. Their human body looks something akin to an elf or a human.

History

The Alraune were created by the blood and bodies left after many wars from the humanoids. Magic reverberated in the air, and eventually forced the plants to absorb the life essences of humans, and infuse them in their seeds. after many months, these seeds spread, and out of them the first Alraune were born. They were beautiful men and women inside large flowers, and after years of survival by collecting sunlight and food, they learned that the humanoids were also useful for the spreading of their young, and made useful subjects.

Society

The Alraune do not have organized societies, but are still very social creatures. While they are a rare race to see being so young, you can commonly find them in clearings open to the sun in groups of six or eight. Rarely are they seen in human civilization.

Alraune Names

The Alraune are not born with names, but borrow ones from gnomes, elves, or even flowers of the forest.

Male: Glaemir, Bryn, Columbine, Del, Eldon, Erky, etc

Female: Breena, Carlin, Drusilia, Enna, Keyleth, Rose, Etc
Alraune Traits

Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution or wisdom increases by 1, and your charisma by 1.
Age. The Alraune are magical in nature, and age slowly. They mature after about 2-3 years, and die at around age 750. They look like a young adult throughout all of their life after maturity, however.
Alignment. The Alraune are of the forest, and therefore lean towards chaotic.
Size. Your size is medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 25 feet.
Floral Body. You are vulnerable to fire damage. You do not eat foods like normal. you must spend 30 minutes absorbing nutrients from soil once per day to benefit from a day's food and drink requirements, provided the soil is wet enough. In addition, you do not need to sleep, but need to be under the sun for 4 hours a day to benefit from a long rest. Can only benefit from a long rest this way once per day.
Alraune Nectar. The Alraune produce a powerful nectar with an innate aphrodisiac and stamina enhancer. Once per long rest, you may make all adjacent enemies make a charisma saving throw vs 8 + proficiency bonus + Charisma Modifier. If failed, the enemies are charmed, and seduced by the Alraune. Enemies are no longer under the effect if they take damage, and may remake the saving throw if the DM sees fit at the end of each of their turns.
(Note: Seduced is more-so flavor text than a status effect)
Floral Knowledge . You are from the forest and have an innate knowledge of the wilderness. You are proficient in the Nature skill.
Languages. You understand and can speak Common, Sylvan, and Elven.
Subrace. The two main kinds of Alraune are the Sunflower and Rose Alraune. Choose one of these subraces.

Sunflower Alraune

Ability Score Increase. Your Strength or Constitution increases by 1.
Sun-power. You may activate this once per long rest when exposed to the sun. You regenerate your constitution modifier at the end of your turn for 1d4 rounds.
Brave. You are resistant to being frightened.
Grabbing Vines. You may make a strike with one of your vine legs, dealing 1d4 bludgeoning damage. You can then make a free athletics check as an attempt to grapple the target. This does not use your hands, and therefore may still use two handed weapons properly. Finesse weapon. At level 6, this is treated as a magical weapon.

Rose Alraune

Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma or Wisdom increases by 1.
Perfect Flower. You have a beautiful appearance, and a voice to match it. You gain proficiency to persuasion, or expertise if already proficient.
Thorny Vines. You have a natural weapon that deals 1d4 piercing damage, and an additional 1d4 poison damage at level 6 and treated as a magical weapon. Finesse weapon.
Powerful Nectar. The Rose Alraune's nectar is very potent, and hard to resist. Enemies under the effects of the Alraune nectar have disadvantage to resist it.

Final Hyena
2016-04-09, 03:35 AM
Alraune Nectar. The Alraune produce a powerful nectar with an innate aphrodisiac and stamina enhancer. Once per long rest, you may make all adjacent enemies make a charisma saving throw vs 8 + proficiency bonus + Charisma Modifier. If failed, the enemies are charmed, and seduced by the Alraune. Enemies are no longer under the effect if they take damage, and may remake the saving throw if the DM sees fit at the end of each of their turns.
Firstly seduced is not a standard condition also it's a fair bit stronger than charmed. All that needs changing is the removal of the seduction part.

Sunflower Alraune
Sun-power. At the start of each of your turns, if under the sun, you may regain your constitution modifier in health. You cannot regain any HP if on fire.
Grabbing Vines. You may make a strike with one of your vine legs, dealing 1d4 bludgeoning damage. The target is grappled on hit. The dexterity DC to escape is 8 + proficiency modifier + Strength modifier. This does not use your hands, and therefore may still use two handed weapons properly. Finesse weapon.
That sun power is crazy, the closest existing abilities in the game are high level and only restore you to half health. Secondly grapples should be opposed athletics checks not a saving throw.

rework;
Sun-power. At the start of each of your turns, if under the sun, you may replace the dexterity part of your AC with constitution.
Grabbing Vines. You may make a strike with one of your vine legs, dealing 1d4 bludgeoning damage. You can then make a free athletics check as an attempt to grapple the target. This does not use your hands, and therefore may still use two handed weapons properly. Finesse weapon.

Rose Alraune
Thorny Vines. You have a natural weapon that deals 1d4 piercing damage, and 1d4 poison damage. Finesse weapon.

I feel like I should point out that 2d4 damage which allows you to use a shield is the better than any other in game option, but it's only +0.5 damage. It doesn't need changing and isn't broken, just thought I'lld mention it.

Deviantheart
2016-04-09, 04:02 AM
Firstly seduced is not a standard condition also it's a fair bit stronger than charmed. All that needs changing is the removal of the seduction part.

That sun power is crazy, the closest existing abilities in the game are high level and only restore you to half health. Secondly grapples should be opposed athletics checks not a saving throw.

rework;
Sun-power. At the start of each of your turns, if under the sun, you may replace the dexterity part of your AC with constitution.
Grabbing Vines. You may make a strike with one of your vine legs, dealing 1d4 bludgeoning damage. You can then make a free athletics check as an attempt to grapple the target. This does not use your hands, and therefore may still use two handed weapons properly. Finesse weapon.

I feel like I should point out that 2d4 damage which allows you to use a shield is the better than any other in game option, but it's only +0.5 damage. It doesn't need changing and isn't broken, just thought I'lld mention it.

The Seduced part was more-so flavor text that the dm could use to add a bit of flavor to explain what happens, more-so than an actual effect.

Sun power is definitely a bit strong, I was thinking of making it a once per long rest regenerative heal (heal half or full constitution modifier at the start of each round for 1d4 or so rounds). The AC thing you posted was a bit meh, but is probably a better idea than I think xD

Tbh I feel like the rose Alraune's weapon is pretty darn strong. I'm thinking the poison damage should come at a later level, as to not give it so much power early game... What do you think?

EDIT: I made changes to the sun power and thorn vine traits, and used your version of grabbing vines. I would like your opinion if possible, as you are pretty good with races xD

Final Hyena
2016-04-09, 04:18 AM
The Seduced part was more-so flavor text that the dm could use to add a bit of flavor to explain what happens, more-so than an actual effect.

The idea for flavour is nice, but can you see the arguments that can arise when the intent is that it does nothing? Being seduced by someone is very powerful, I would say much stronger than "charmed" which is more akin to being friends.

Sun power is definitely a bit strong, I was thinking of making it a once per long rest regenerative heal (heal half or full constitution modifier at the start of each round for 1d4 or so rounds). The AC thing you posted was a bit meh, but is probably a better idea than I think xD

That idea was definely not one of my best. I was having trouble coming up with a good trait. Making it usable as many times as con mod per long rest might do the trick.

Tbh I feel like the rose Alraune's weapon is pretty darn strong. I'm thinking the poison damage should come at a later level, as to not give it so much power early game... What do you think?

The weapon is 2d4 finesse, the closest weapon that does that is rapier 1d8 finesse a difference of 5 to 4.5 damage. When you consider that half of that is poison the most commonly resisted damage type in the game it is perfectly fine. Although I would say that it should become magical (along with the other melee trait) at level 6+ otherwise it becomes worthless.

Although it has the potential to be a bit strong, when a cleric can have a free hand for spells, another weapon up and a shield it essentially saves him getting a feat. But again it's not that strong, but still given the overall power of the race it still seems acceptable.

Deviantheart
2016-04-09, 04:25 AM
The idea for flavour is nice, but can you see the arguments that can arise when the intent is that it does nothing? Being seduced by someone is very powerful, I would say much stronger than "charmed" which is more akin to being friends.

That idea was definely not one of my best. I was having trouble coming up with a good trait. Making it usable as many times as con mod per long rest might do the trick.

The weapon is 2d4 finesse, the closest weapon that does that is rapier 1d8 finesse a difference of 5 to 4.5 damage. When you consider that half of that is poison the most commonly resisted damage type in the game it is perfectly fine. Although I would say that it should become magical (along with the other melee trait) at level 6+ otherwise it becomes worthless.

Although it has the potential to be a bit strong, when a cleric can have a free hand for spells, another weapon up and a shield it essentially saves him getting a feat. But again it's not that strong, but still given the overall power of the race it still seems acceptable.
I see where you come from with the seduction, for now I will leave it in there as I added a note saying it's more-so flavor text, but if it becomes an issue with a few more people then yeah I will take it out xD

I think the change to sun power I did should be sufficient, as it is a relatively good heal early game, and still bit a useful later on (especially if you happen along a magic item or something that increases being healed)

I didn't think about the magic weapon thing. Thanks for that!

I wanted to create a fun plant-race based on the Alraune, which I saw a picture of, studied for a bit, and thought "hey that'd be fun to play!" Lol.

So I at least hope someone will use it and have fun with it when all the kinks are straightened out :P

Durazno
2016-04-09, 03:42 PM
What if Sun Power were an ability that makes it so that the Alraune benefits more from short rests when they have access to natural sunlight?

Deviantheart
2016-04-09, 04:33 PM
What if Sun Power were an ability that makes it so that the Alraune benefits more from short rests when they have access to natural sunlight?

As in, more hit die, benefit from it like a long rest, what would it be?
Is the power I have now too strong, or just not fitting? (Thanks for the feedback, seems like an interesting idea just need more info on it)

PoeticDwarf
2016-04-10, 12:14 AM
Really cool. I think it is too strong. The natural weapons from the subrace are too good for a racical weapon and the nectar is insanely powerful. If the enemies get disadvantage it is even high level a superior action. If that would be a spell it would be level 3 or 4 probably. Too much for a race. (if it gives disadvantage level 4+)

The features are nice for fluff but I'd change some things. Speed 25ft would help so the party doesn't have to wait too, but not really for balance

Edit: I understand being weak against fire damage and low speed give this drawbacks, but it is still a good race. I'd just make the nectar a bit weaker and that if you attack (and grapple) with your natural weapon you need a free hand.

Deviantheart
2016-04-10, 01:51 AM
Really cool. I think it is too strong. The natural weapons from the subrace are too good for a racical weapon and the nectar is insanely powerful. If the enemies get disadvantage it is even high level a superior action. If that would be a spell it would be level 3 or 4 probably. Too much for a race. (if it gives disadvantage level 4+)

The features are nice for fluff but I'd change some things. Speed 25ft would help so the party doesn't have to wait too, but not really for balance

Edit: I understand being weak against fire damage and low speed give this drawbacks, but it is still a good race. I'd just make the nectar a bit weaker and that if you attack (and grapple) with your natural weapon you need a free hand.

Well, the nectar would essentially be useless to someone immune or resistant to charmed effects.
I may make the rose's natural weapon a 1d6 or 1d8 to balance it.
Glad you like the race! :D

PoeticDwarf
2016-04-10, 02:14 AM
Well, the nectar would essentially be useless to someone immune or resistant to charmed effects.
I may make the rose's natural weapon a 1d6 or 1d8 to balance it.
Glad you like the race! :D

It's useless against SOME enemies sure, but 10d10 poison breath would be too strong for dragonborn altough it's useless against poison immune enemies.

Deviantheart
2016-04-10, 02:44 AM
It's useless against SOME enemies sure, but 10d10 poison breath would be too strong for dragonborn altough it's useless against poison immune enemies.

Really it was meant for my group of players and they liked it, they are able to make the saving throw every round, and if they are hurt they are immediately put out of it.

Really it's used as a defensive mechanism for the alraune, and the rose one mainly for bards and other support classes as a mechanism. As, I really like to go full support, and I rather would not like to get gangbanged xD

PoeticDwarf
2016-04-10, 02:46 AM
Really it was meant for my group of players and they liked it, they are able to make the saving throw every round, and if they are hurt they are immediately put out of it.

Really it's used as a defensive mechanism for the alraune, and the rose one mainly for bards and other support classes as a mechanism. As, I really like to go full support, and I rather would not like to get gangbanged xD

Well, the disadvantage makes it certainly too strong. It's too much for racial. I'd throw DC down to 8+cha mod and instead of disadvantage + prof mod at least

Deviantheart
2016-04-10, 04:19 AM
Well, the disadvantage makes it certainly too strong. It's too much for racial. I'd throw DC down to 8+cha mod and instead of disadvantage + prof mod at least

Well the base saving throw already has the prof (otherwise it'd be the easiest thing to avoid), so 1 1/2 of charisma modifier rounded up minimum 1?

PoeticDwarf
2016-04-10, 04:57 AM
Well the base saving throw already has the prof (otherwise it'd be the easiest thing to avoid), so 1 1/2 of charisma modifier rounded up minimum 1?
Well, then just keep the old idea. It also has never been OP but I feel it is for racial too much. But it's once/day and if you playtested it it's probably right

Deviantheart
2016-04-10, 05:09 AM
Well, then just keep the old idea. It also has never been OP but I feel it is for racial too much. But it's once/day and if you playtested it it's probably right

It may be a little too strong, especially if you are playing a warrior character, but so far it's been OK on my support, as it keeps aggro off of her so that she may do her thing

I really hope I dont come off as rude during the conversation xD

Thanks for looking at my race, I hope that someone else will use it one day, would be fun to hear about! :D

Durazno
2016-04-13, 04:57 AM
Ah, sorry for not responding to your question sooner. I lost track of the thread.

My notion was something similar to "if you can spend your short rest in the sunlight, then whenever you spend a hit die to recover hp during that rest, you can take your roll or half the die's maximum, whichever is greater." Just a way to make healing more reliable, you know?

If you wanted to go all in on the photosynthesis theme, one type of alraune could also get an additional save against any poisons they're suffering from if they're taking their rest in a place with access to fresh water and healthy soil.

cyberman09
2016-05-12, 07:21 PM
the sun healing seems OP, especially if you are playing a high con person. Also the modifiers seems to be much. Most classes only have 2 in my experience