PDA

View Full Version : My(sorta) Diplomacy-ish game- Empires

Perducci
2007-06-22, 02:48 AM
This was a game we played in my World Geography class 5 years ago or so. I've tinkered around with it and this is what I'm spitting out.

Empire rules

Dividing the World

Each empire will take turns selecting pieces of the world to make up their empire. Each section of land will give the empire a certain amount of starting money and military. It also is a factor in weekly income. The world is divided into these parts:

1.United States
2. Canada
3. Mexico
4. Central America
5. Brazil
6. South America
7. Europe
8. North Africa
9 Central Africa
10. South Africa
11. Russia
12. Middle East
13. China
14. East Asia
15. Southern Asia
16. Japan
17. Australia
18. Pacific Islands
19. Arctic Circle
20. Antarctica

Your Empire

Your empire consists of all your territory, military, and wealth. Your empire is defeated when your military is completely destroyed.

Military-
The military is divided into three main sections: Army, Navy, and Air Force. In addition to these, you may have special weapons. These include: Chemical, Biological, and Nuclear weapons; Biological/Chemical and Missile defense systems; and Spys.

Wealth-
Simply put, this is how much money you have(duh). At the start of the game, you receive a certain amount of money based on your territory. You will also gain income every week based on territory. The use of Chemical, Biological, and Nuclear weapons will reduce the amount of income it will produce.

Combat
Once per week, you may decide to attack another empire. You must send at least 100 of each branch of military during an attack. Each branch can only target its respective branch(Army vs Army, Navy vs Navy, etc.) The side with more wins and retains all of its units. If the attacker destroys all of the defender's military, then they will add the defender's territory and any unused special weapons to their own empire.

Special Weapons in combat-
Biological- Can be used to attack or defend. Targets Army only. Nullified by Bio/Chem defense. Destroys an increment of 100 units, depending on potency.

Chemical- Can be used to attack or defend. Targets Army and Navy. Nullified by Bio/Chem defense. Destroys an increment of 100 units, depending on potency.

Nuclear- Used only during attacks. Targets All. Nullified by Missile defense. Destroys all of one branch.

Spies-

Spies may be used only once to gather one of the following pieces of intelligence:
To detect number of units in one military branch
To detect either Biological, Chemical, or Nuclear weapons
To detect defense systems
To determine foreign empire's current wealth

The Black Market and Obtaining additional resources
The GM is also the black market. At any time the players may ask to purchase more military, special weapons, and defense systems. Be warned, the prices are stiff, but negotiable to a point. Certain weapons will not always be available.

Rarely, an empire may get lucky and discover additional military resources when they receive their income. The more powerful the weapon, the less likely you will receive it.

Alliances and Diplomacy

An alliance may be established if players each send a message to the GM containing a contract agreed to between players. Alliance members may send military units to support an ally in attack or defense. Intelligence may be shared also, but discretion is advised. An alliance becomes immediately dissolved should one member of the alliance attack any other member or violate the terms of the contract in any way.

Gameplay

The game is divided into rounds, which are usually one week long. At the beginning of a round, you will receive income, and perhaps some special weapons. During a round, you may do various things.

Attack another empire- This may be done once per round. Attacks are resolved in order of submission.

Send out spies- can be done at anytime.

Make Black Market deals-can be done at anytime, but not recommended for the end of a round. You might not get what you want in time.

Diplomacy- conversing with other players may be done at anytime. Alliances must be established by the end of a round in order to be effective when that round's attacks are resolved.

If a player does not submit any attacks, they will simply defend themselves.

It's pretty flexible. One of its strengths is simplicity. Let me know what you think. Any and all comments will be appreciated.

Perducci
2007-06-22, 06:04 PM
* lalalalalalabumpa *
Umm...guys...anyone out there?...

Matthew
2007-06-22, 11:27 PM
Despite hearing rave reviews about Diplomacy from practicaly every gamer I know, I am afraid I am yet to play it... wish I could help.

Perducci
2007-06-23, 11:53 PM
It's not Diplomacy...its a completely different game.

Anyone could play. I'm not looking for an Empires vs Diplomacy review here, just your thoughts in general. Like potential flaws and things like that. Changes you would make and whatnot.

Matthew
2007-06-28, 07:51 PM
I dunno, it's kind of hard to say with rules set like this. It could do with more clarity and easily digestable sectioning.

katarl
2007-06-29, 08:36 AM
Your groupings make little sense, why is japan and antarctica on the same level as europe? Japan is tiny, so you can't be grouping it on size, and antarctica has no permanent population at all. The artic circle? The pacific islands? A political power?